What music makes your hair stand up?
Apr 25, 2003 at 2:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

TWIFOSP

Headphoneus Supremus
What music gives you the goosebumps when you listen to it on your favorite rig?

Example: Festive Overture... the fanfare section after all the fast moving strings.

Or Appalachian Spring... the climax always does it.

These are the moment I listen to music for. This is the reason why I spend crazy gobs of money on headphones!

Post your moments!

Apr 25, 2003 at 2:42 PM Post #2 of 45
large portions of Mahler's 10th Symphony.. but especially the last 15 minutes or so of the last movement, some of the most beautiful music ever composed.. if only he had finished orchestrating it himself, but regardless, Cooke did an amazing job. Listening at home is great, but after hearing it live, I don't know if I ever want to listen to another recording of it again.. Live, it was truly one of the most amazing musical experiences of my life. Mark Wigglesworth conducting the Cleveland Orchestra last year.. amazing.

other stuff:

Slint's "Good Morning Captain"
Rodan's "The Everyday World of Bodies" (if you always wanted another Slint album after SPIDERLAND, pick up Rodan's RUSTY)
Slowdive's "Blue Skied an' Clear"
The slow movment of Mahler's 6th.
Almost the entire album SCENES FROM THE SECOND STOREY by the God Machine

-jar

Apr 25, 2003 at 9:21 PM Post #3 of 45
Rossini (not Ravel
redface.gif
): William Tell Overture
Tchaikovsky: 1812 Overture

Crank em' up 'til the plaster isa fallin' off the ceilin'!

Dire Straits: Money For Nothin'
The end of the synth intro (the "I want my MTV" part) were it meets the brief guitar solo.

Apr 25, 2003 at 9:33 PM Post #4 of 45
One thing that never fails to do this is the soundtract to Epcot's current fireworks spectactular- Illuminations: Reflections of Earth. ABC used part of it as their Millennium theme a few years back.

Cheesy yes but it never fails to get the goosebumps going
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 25, 2003 at 10:11 PM Post #5 of 45
I don't think I've ever had recorded music make me feel that strongly. With one exception, I saw roger waters live in 1999 and when he came on stage with the first notes of "in the flesh" it sent a chill down my spine, I never thought I would get to see pink floyd music played live, that was a realization of a dream for me. So I guess the first time I ever saw the recorded dvd version it made me feel the same way.

Apr 26, 2003 at 5:00 AM Post #6 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by jude about fyrfytrhoges
His loyalty to the Head-Fi marque stops somewhere before donning a Wedgy-Fi.

So how long have you had that? I just saw it for the first time.

Jude, you're killing me, baby.

Apr 26, 2003 at 5:01 AM Post #7 of 45
Glass - Einstein on the Beach -- the final "spaceship" movement. Also, "Islands"
Saint-Saens - Piano Concert No. 2
Schubert - Piano Trio No. 2
Quote:

Originally posted by Masonjar
Slowdive's "Blue Skied an' Clear"

So do you actually own that? (Jar recently recommended this to me.)

Apr 26, 2003 at 11:29 AM Post #9 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
Glass - Einstein on the Beach -- the final "spaceship" movement. Also, "Islands"
Saint-Saens - Piano Concert No. 2
Schubert - Piano Trio No. 2
So do you actually own that? (Jar recently recommended this to me.)

I'm refering to the song "Blue Skied an' Clear" which is on PYGMALION.. I picked it up a few years ago from some store over in England.. actually got a new copy at a somewhat normal price.. If you thought I was refering to BLUE DAY, no I don't have that, all I have by Slowdive are the 3 main albums.. no EPs yet, and I'm kicking myself for waiting so long, because I've held various copies of their EPs in my grubby mits over the years several times, but never actually brought them to the counter..

-jar

Apr 26, 2003 at 3:58 PM Post #10 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by Masonjar
I'm refering to the song "Blue Skied an' Clear" which is on PYGMALION.. I picked it up a few years ago from some store over in England.. actually got a new copy at a somewhat normal price.. If you thought I was refering to BLUE DAY, no I don't have that, all I have by Slowdive are the 3 main albums.. no EPs yet, and I'm kicking myself for waiting so long, because I've held various copies of their EPs in my grubby mits over the years several times, but never actually brought them to the counter..

-jar

You're right, I did think you meant Blue Day.

PS Have you seen the Slowdive tribute, Blue Skied An' Clear on Morr Music? I picked it up at that Notwist show I reviewed (Styrofoam is one of the artists on this). It's pretty good.

Apr 26, 2003 at 6:19 PM Post #12 of 45
yeah definitely Lotr soundtrack --- lothlorien track ...
also Dead Can Dance -- Host of the Seraphim and Lisa Gerrard's Unfolding .... Mozart -- Lacrimosa from the Requiem .... Carmen Burana.... that violin solo from Schlinder's List.... the first 6 minutes and 35 seconds of Shine on you Crazy diamond from Pink Floyd flows cosmically -- just imagine yourself expanding infinitely when listenin to floyds tune....... take your pick...

Apr 27, 2003 at 8:29 AM Post #13 of 45
Here is a list of some albums that make me want to pull out the beer, sit back, and listen in amazement:

Tool: Aenima, and Lateralus - If these guys make one, or two more albums of this quality there name will be mentioned with the likes of Metallica, and Led Zeppelin.

White Zombie: La Sexorcisto: Devil Music Vol. 1, and Astro Creep 2000 - Fast, dynamic, powerful, and probably some of the best Heavy Metal I have ever heard; the biggest breakup since the original Van Halen.

Roxette: Look Sharp, and Joyride - Soft, powerful, and passion all in the same box. If you like pop at all you have got to listen to this.

Ace Of Base: The Sign - 90's disco pop? What is that? Not a lot of variety, but very good; one of my all time favorites.

Marilyn Manson: Antichrist Superstar - This is one of the most exciting albums I have ever heard. I don't like many of his other albums, but man did he hit the jackpot with this one. This is without a doubt in my top 10 of all time.

No Doubt: Tragic Kingdom - With the downfall of music on the way in the mid 90's this was probably one of the last truly good albums of the 90's. The combination of Gwen, and the punky pop band is just great by my ears.

R.E.M.: Automatic For The People - The best combination of sad, and fun I have ever heard. One of the most popular bands out there, and I believe this is their masterpiece.

Metallica: Metallica (Black Album) - I really do enjoy Metallica's early stuff, and even without this album they would still be legends. But damn! Sometimes change can be good, and even though it's different from their earlier stuff the (Black Album) remains in my top 10 of all time.

Celine Dion: The Colour Of My Love, and Celine Dion - I have gotten a lot of **** from friends about my liking of her, but I'm still sticking to my guns, and saying that she has one of the most beautiful voices in music history. However, her newer stuff is definitely falling short in comparison.

Apr 27, 2003 at 5:03 PM Post #15 of 45
The Yellow House by Vir Unis & Christopher Short. Listen to this while drifting asleep, and boy, your dreams'll be awesome!

Forgotten Places by James Johnson & Robert Scott Thompson. Just got this and I'm still discovering it.

Submers by Loscil. Very beautiful.

The River Made No Sound by Pan*American. Ditto.

The Music of Pat Metheney & Lyle Mays by Bob Curnow. Great music fused into a big band setting; absolutely stunning musical playing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back