What music do you study to?
Aug 18, 2007 at 5:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Assorted

Headphoneus Supremus
So what kind of music does everybody listen to while studying? Now before somebody owns me with the search function reply, I'm going to say that I don't want to resurrect years old threads, so I thought it's justified to open a new thread on this
wink.gif

Most of the time I find myself listening to Bach and Handel piano music by various people, usually Keith Jarret's Well tempered Clavier Book I on the piano, since in my opinion his performance is less shocking to me (let's control the amazon-style opinion attacks), worthy of blending into the background. That is exactly what study music should do, something a sibilant harpsichord/clavi, violin, or a space occupying organ music, or even a distracting opera/voice cannot.

I also tend to use my nuance speakers when studying, again for the reasons of blending music into the background and not have my mind occupied on the headphone itself.

Aug 18, 2007 at 5:48 AM Post #4 of 36
I don't know how in the world people are able to listen to music (or have other distractions going on) while studying. I always get lost in the music and spend 2 or 3 times as long compared to studying in silence. I mean, you're main goal is to do something boring (studying), but to help you study you add something exciting (music). That's just a recipe for disaster in my books
3000smile.gif

Aug 18, 2007 at 6:04 AM Post #5 of 36
I don't listen to any music...way too distracting.

Aug 18, 2007 at 6:23 AM Post #7 of 36
In past when studying, I'd do it in silence; same with reading now.

I actively pick out beats and make mental predictions of where the music is heading, rather involuntarily, whenever I'm listening. Thus, if I'm talking to someone or trying to focus, music is an enemy.

Aug 18, 2007 at 6:27 AM Post #8 of 36
I've just grown up with being bothered and having no place of solitude, thus...My music of choice is classical, mainly the works of Glenn Gould exclusively because I know of very few good performers, other than what was recommended to me.

Aug 18, 2007 at 6:28 AM Post #9 of 36
I listen to some Yanni and Kenny G when studying. The volume is usually pretty low so it doesn't distract me.

Aug 18, 2007 at 7:11 AM Post #13 of 36
In Psychology class, my teacher told us that you can use certain tracks to remember passages. Sneak in a portable during exams, replay that particular track you were listening to while studying and BAAAAM, better recollection of notes.

Heck do I know if it really works. I have 400+ songs in my DAP and trying to navigate to that one song will be too distracting during exams.
cool.gif

Aug 18, 2007 at 7:26 AM Post #15 of 36
I also hear it also works with aroma, like a mint gum, or familiar images like the font and such. But I'm surprised you're allowed to listen to music during exams, wouldn't that be nice
biggrin.gif

What I notice is that when I listen to very melody oriented or mainly homophonic music like symphonies from the romantic, or something too exciting like contemporary viola sonatas and Italian concertos, paired with studying, my mind gets so much more fatigued, compared to being immersed in heavily canonic music like Bach keyboard pieces. It almost seems like I phrase each sentence or grouping of the text with the music, something I can't quite do with a nice melody with so much concentration on what to expect next. I concluded that fugues + studying works very well, for me. When I don't listen to anything, my knees start rattling and I can't concentrate. Maybe this will go away once I reach a study free age.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back