What MP3 Player should I try next?
Jan 2, 2008 at 8:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

vulc4n

500+ Head-Fier
I'm currently using an 80Gb Zune... But I'm really starting to get fed up with the the fact the whole Zune system is so closed up. I'm stuck using certain file formats, and I'm stuck using the Zune software. As much as I love the Zun e hardware, the software just isn't what I want.

So, I want to find a new MP3 Player. To date I've owned a 4g iPod, a 5g iPod Video, a 1st gen nano, a 2nd gen nano, a Zune 30, a Zune 8, a Zune 80, a Cowon D2, a Zen Micro, as well as three or four cd/mp3 players.

I'm really not sure what I want to go with next. I want something with great sound quality and a powerful amp if possible. I'm not really dead set on having a certain amount of space or a certain form factor. I think I would probably go with one of Cowons new PMPs if they weren't so expensive.

So, any suggestions on what I should go with?

Requirements:
  1. Excellent Sound Quallity
  2. Gapless Support

Jan 2, 2008 at 4:39 PM Post #4 of 23
+1 for the vibez. The output power of the amp won't blow your ears out, but it's plenty to deliver excellent clean sound to just about anything portable you can throw at it.

It's Karma-rrific. :p

Jan 2, 2008 at 9:04 PM Post #6 of 23
try the kenwood HD60GD9. i just got the limited edition couple days ago and the sound quality trumps the ipod. it's also a nice welcome that you can upload wav files. i'm very close to sellng my whole ipod portable rig...

Jan 2, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
try the kenwood HD60GD9. i just got the limited edition couple days ago and the sound quality trumps the ipod. it's also a nice welcome that you can upload wav files. i'm very close to sellng my whole ipod portable rig...

I thought this wasn't gapless?

Jan 2, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockin_amigo14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how about buying a used karma and flashing it?

or, try rockbox on the Toshiba Gigabeat F60. sounds great + it's rockbox!

I've actually been thinking about doing that...

I would kinda dig having a B&W screen too.
icon10.gif

Jan 2, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by vulc4n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As much as I want to liek the Vibez, there are so many things about it I hate.

-the Battery life
-the tiny screen
-hard drive based
-the polished back

- What's the minimum battery life you're looking for?
- Personally, I don't have a problem with the screen size. I don't use it for photos and the vibez doesn't do video. It's actually a higher res than the Karma's larger screen.
- Cornice Dragon II. Detects a drop and locks the drive head with a double latch. Mine took a double bounce off a running treadmill a month ago and hasn't missed a beat.
- You'll probably want a case anyway.

smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 2, 2008 at 10:29 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by RubenNYC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
- What's the minimum battery life you're looking for?
- Personally, I don't have a problem with the screen size. I don't use it for photos and the vibez doesn't do video. It's actually a higher res than the Karma's larger screen.
- Cornice Dragon II. Detects a drop and locks the drive head with a double latch. Mine took a double bounce off a running treadmill a month ago and hasn't missed a beat.
- You'll probably want a case anyway.

smily_headphones1.gif

I want somewhere in the area of 20-30 hours of battery life. More is better.

I'm used to large screens. I absolutely love the oversized interface on the new Zunes. I'd go as far as to say its better than any other mp3 player UI.

If I'm going to have a HD based player, it better have the capacity to go along with the downsides. Flash players come in 16GB and 32GB varieties now, so why would I ever buy a 12GB hard drive based player?

And, I don't use cases. I'm careful with my gear and I expect it to withstand normal everyday use without needing extra protection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back