What more do I need? Product Suggestion
Feb 25, 2011 at 7:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

bg123ss

New Head-Fier
I am going to start out with how much I love this site, I am a new member but have been browsing through it for quite some time. I would also like to thank everybody in advance because, well, you are all helpful and very very knowledgeable. 

So here is what I have, 

* iPod Touch 3rd Gen 64gb
  * Fiio E5 w/ LOD
  *AudioTechnica ATH-M50s
  *Sennheiser HD280
  *On-Board Audio on my PC is realtek HD audio (Its on my EVGA P55 LE Motherboard) 
  *Logitech X-530 

Pretty much, what I am looking for is how do I go about making a better sound system for me. I would assume first place to start is with the sound card. I assume that I can use a desktop DAC for that? I dont listen to too much music on my computer speakers, I usually plug in my headphones directly in but in comparison to my iPod with the Fiio, its not that enjoyable. Most of the music I have is 320kbps VBR, but I would say I average 192kbps. I am thinking of upgrading the speakers, I usually go with Logitech, but I am open for suggestions there also. So if anyone has any ideas/suggestions please let me know!

Thank you!!

Feb 25, 2011 at 8:53 AM Post #2 of 5
It would be best to start with the soundcard, motherboard sound isn't the best by far, get either a good pci sound card like a xonar , or a dac / amp like the fiio E7/E9 or udac2.

Feb 25, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #3 of 5
I'd recommend the Audio-gd FUN if you can afford it and you would hook up everything to it, but you will only get stereo sound.  Alternatively, some Xonar card or something.

As far as speakers, if you don't mind going with just stereo, I recommend you look into a pair of Mackie MR5, M-Audio BX5a, Yamaha HS50M, and KRK Rokit RP5 G2.

Feb 26, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for the replies. Is a sound card really needed if I get an external amp/DAC? I would be looking into something in the $150-250 which I would assume is low end...

Feb 26, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #5 of 5
A USB DAC such as the uDAC2 effectively replaces your internal soundcard, and is a great value for the money at $129. Don't let its low price-tag fool you into thinking it's not quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back