What moment in history had the biggest impact? See rule change page 4
Mar 6, 2007 at 7:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 132

arnoldsoccer4

500+ Head-Fier
This is another school assignment that had interesting responses. Mine was Niccolo Machiavelli writing The Prince, because it gave Hitler, Idi Amin, Saddam Hussein etc an outline on how to run their countries with an iron fist. Hitler basically ended mass persecution of jews, our response to Hussein made a huge war, and Amin put fear into the whole world in showing what one person can do.

Mar 6, 2007 at 7:54 AM Post #2 of 132
No contest. When humans started cultivating wheat. It led to the foundation of civilization as we know it, from religion to government to war to language to writing to art to everything you can imagine.

Mar 6, 2007 at 8:21 AM Post #3 of 132
I wanted to say the invention of anesthesia, germ theory, invention of interpersonal love or Darwins theory of evolution, but shouldn't it be the Big Bang? Are you defining history as written?

Mar 6, 2007 at 8:25 AM Post #4 of 132
More like a person or event that really shaped the world, like Darwin had a whole new kind of thinking that has basically been proven by scientists and is now accepted as fact. (Pleade don't flame me for this)

Mar 6, 2007 at 8:28 AM Post #5 of 132
Don't fear fundies.
tongue.gif

And touché, blessingx. The Big Bang was the most important moment in history.
tongue.gif

Mar 6, 2007 at 8:48 AM Post #6 of 132
i agree, and the invention involved is the plow, with it started civilization. with it you can make mass amount of food, and you can stock food through the winter, and with surplus you can make plans.

once the food is taken care of then you can go and build other things, like....BAM! pyramids.

Mar 6, 2007 at 8:48 AM Post #7 of 132
The biggest moment in history will be when God finds out that he never existed in the first place.

Mar 6, 2007 at 12:28 PM Post #8 of 132
The biggest moment in history was when god created herself.

Mar 6, 2007 at 12:44 PM Post #10 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by arnoldsoccer4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is another school assignment that had interesting responses. Mine was Niccolo Machiavelli writing The Prince, because it gave Hitler, Idi Amin, Saddam Hussein etc an outline on how to run their countries with an iron fist. Hitler basically ended mass persecution of jews, our response to Hussein made a huge war, and Amin put fear into the whole world in showing what one person can do.

Machivelli was important but he wasn't the first nor the most influential when it comes to these kind of ideas. And I'm not sure if Hussein and Stalin actually read Machiavelli. Plato long before Machiavellei developed the most consequential, intelligent and comprehensive totalitarian model that influenced Western thought for millenia to come. Anyways, I doubt Hitler and the likes read Plato either.

If I had to write an essay about the most important moment in history, I would start by saying that the topic is crap. You can't single out singular points in history, let alone measure their importance on an absolute scale. The only valuble measuring stick would be causality and in that case you'd really have to go back to the big bang or when man found fire and stuff like that.

Mar 6, 2007 at 2:47 PM Post #12 of 132
The printing press. Unquestionably the greatest most important invention between the plough and the transistor.

Mar 6, 2007 at 2:54 PM Post #13 of 132
10 November 1775.

OOH-RAH!!!
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 6, 2007 at 3:01 PM Post #14 of 132
An argument could be made for the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. These events introduced the world to the fearsome and terrifiying class of weapons known as "weapons of mass destruction".

The repercussions are still being felt............

Mar 6, 2007 at 3:17 PM Post #15 of 132
1) When mans pre-historic ancestors first used a tool then saved it for later use.
2) The first written language so information could be passed on without direct contact.

I’d guess either of these would encompass most anything else that has happened since.

Mitch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back