What Modern Headphones Beat (Or Equal) Sony MDR R10s?
Feb 22, 2023 at 5:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

dolifant

100+ Head-Fier
Right now I'm listening to a functioning pair of MDR R10s that I got many years ago for $4K. Sounds like a bargain now. I just saw a pair on eBay listed for $11.5K, with scratches on one cup! Mine sound great. I had an issue with the right channel, loose cable or something. I jiggled the attachment and it works. Gotta be a little careful with it. No tension on cable. But it works. A while ago I tried to get someone to fix or re-cable it but they demurred. There are no replacement drivers available. They did not want to ruin them. So I'm just gonna use them until they die (hopefully not before I die).

Wondering what modern headphones are of equal or better sound quality that the R10s. I have been out of the market for a while. My every day phones are Sennheiser HD 600. I use my Mytek Manhattan 2 to power them and the R 10s. I'm sure that is not the ultimate but seems good. I also have an EarMax Pro I bought with the R 10s. That is nice too. I listened to Focal Utopia 2022 version the other day at a local dealer. Nice sound but I was not totally convinced they are better than the R 10s. Susvara? Sennheiser 800s? I listen mainly to Jazz and Classical, and also vocal pop. Like clean bass but not a bass head. More of a detail guy.

I live in Houston, TX. I would travel a reasonable distance to listen to Susvara or other suggested sets. Have never heard planar magnetics. I guess you can tell I have been away for a while. Thanks in advance.

Feb 22, 2023 at 6:37 PM Post #2 of 8
Right now I'm listening to a functioning pair of MDR R10s that I got many years ago for $4K. Sounds like a bargain now. I just saw a pair on eBay listed for $11.5K, with scratches on one cup! Mine sound great. I had an issue with the right channel, loose cable or something. I jiggled the attachment and it works. Gotta be a little careful with it. No tension on cable. But it works. A while ago I tried to get someone to fix or re-cable it but they demurred. There are no replacement drivers available. They did not want to ruin them. So I'm just gonna use them until they die (hopefully not before I die).

Wondering what modern headphones are of equal or better sound quality that the R10s. I have been out of the market for a while. My every day phones are Sennheiser HD 600. I use my Mytek Manhattan 2 to power them and the R 10s. I'm sure that is not the ultimate but seems good. I also have an EarMax Pro I bought with the R 10s. That is nice too. I listened to Focal Utopia 2022 version the other day at a local dealer. Nice sound but I was not totally convinced they are better than the R 10s. Susvara? Sennheiser 800s? I listen mainly to Jazz and Classical, and also vocal pop. Like clean bass but not a bass head. More of a detail guy.

I live in Houston, TX. I would travel a reasonable distance to listen to Susvara or other suggested sets. Have never heard planar magnetics. I guess you can tell I have been away for a while. Thanks in advance.
Nothing sounds like R10 in its romantic kiss. The touch of STAX 007/009-9k with accompanied amplification offer a insight.
The top performing headphones today could be Valkryia (more similar to R10) through the hyper detailed 1266/SR1a/Susvara.
At a considerable step below the ZMF headphones present a muddied water of sound.

I would encourage you to take a trip to THX stereo.

Feb 22, 2023 at 7:12 PM Post #3 of 8

I would try the es labs es-r10.

Feb 22, 2023 at 7:14 PM Post #4 of 8
I would say most headphones "beat" the Sony R10. Considering they are completely bass deficient by modern standards.

Feb 23, 2023 at 12:21 PM Post #5 of 8
I agree with @CoryGillmore. I'd like to know what you index for when you say the word "beat". That's a very tough descriptor to use when describing an upgrade. The R10 is over 30 years old so technicalities are considerably better at much lower price points today. I agree with @nieveulv that the ES Labs es-r10 is probably the best modern interpretation of how the MDR-R10 sounds. Hard to know with parts and materials in a 30 year old pair of headphones. You wouldn't even know if they sound the way that they were intended with driver materials being so old.

For closed back specifically I'd look at Atrium Closed, Verite Closed. But both of these are not known for their technicalities. VC is unbelievably musical though and I think it's the worlds best closed back. I haven't heard the Atrium Closed yet but reviews sound very positive.

For open back with your genres I'd look at HE1000V2, Susvara or some of the newer Stax.

Feb 23, 2023 at 7:59 PM Post #6 of 8
Nothing. And I'm not even joking. No new headphone I've heard can touch its perfect tonality, its midrange perfection, the unique reverb effect, etc.

There are headphones that are better with technicalities, resolution and bass response, but overall, I'd take them over just about anything even today. Plenty of other headphones generally worth checking out, but I can't recommend anything that has a similar sound or imo "beats" them.

Not even the ES Labs remake has the same special sound, but definitely is voiced similarly and a very good replica (but they do not sound the same). Overall they are probably my favorite headphones, and like you I just plan on being as careful as possible and enjoying them until they die.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2023 at 9:39 PM Post #7 of 8
There are a few headphones that are at the same tier and might do some elements better but don't outright defeat a well-kept R10.
If we're limited to modern headphones that are currently in production it's probably only Stax x9000 & SGL SR. I haven't heard it but MAYBE the Spirit Torino Valkyria

This all said, I directly compared a perfect condition Sr-omega, Sr-x9000 and r10 not to long ago - even the sr-omega was not reaching the same euphoric sound the R10 provided. My grado hp-1000 was closest to the same dynamics but lacked the soundstage.

Feb 23, 2023 at 9:45 PM Post #8 of 8
I'm in Houston also and happy to invite you over to my place to listen to some cans. I've traveled the planar road to the pinnacle and decided it's not for me, but still do have the Snorry Trion, which while not at all known, is IMO the best of class in planar. The CA-1a is the best headphone on the planet and you could listen to it. Also have the ESLabs R10 homage and others. Grado HP-1000 which is from the R10 era and wildly underrated. Bring your R10 and lets listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back