What measures have you taken against spam?
Mar 2, 2003 at 5:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

averydonovan

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm sure a lot of members here has dealt with a lot of spam in their inboxes from various sources. I have a set of filters in my e-mail program that take out at least half the spam that would have reached my inbox. Yahoo's spam filters take out a large portion of the spam before it even gets to my e-mail program (I use POP3 access with Yahoo mail). I am protecting my new primary e-mail address by keeping it off of web pages and Usenet messages, and using a different email address for those purposes. My old email address which is mainly a spam collector by now is being filtered out of my inbox and directed to another folder.

What have you done to try to keep spam out of your inbox?

Mar 2, 2003 at 5:23 AM Post #2 of 27
Wow, sorry off topic ignore if you like but man George Bush actually said that about cloning?? I have to agree with that statement 100%. Cloning is insane. Unless they intend to clone beautiful women and implant an insatiable love for myself in them. Then and only then can I even possibly consider a yes for cloning.

As for spam, I do what I can. If you have a free account with Yahoo I think they give your address away. I had an address I had never used before getting spam. Not sure how that works, unless yahoo sold my name. The same thing happens with Hotmail.

Mar 2, 2003 at 5:33 AM Post #3 of 27
lol, that is actually is a Bushism in my sig (read it again). But cloning is one of the very few things I agree with Bush on.

I don't think Yahoo gives away email addresses. But I'm sure Earthlink does. I started getting spam in my Earthlink email account just hours after I signed up with Earthlink. I never used that email address but after a while it was getting hit with 50 to 60 spams a day. Luckily I never really used that email account for anything.

Mar 2, 2003 at 5:46 AM Post #4 of 27
#1. Never foward anything that will be fowarded (chain letters, ect....)

#2. Have a sacrifical email account set up to foward to another account. Sign up for allthings using this account.

#3. Never request to be removed from spam lists, it only makes you a more valuable target.

#4 Have either an .edu or .mil ardress, you will get no spam.

#5. Turn on your filtering software, tell it to delete anything not sent to your address.

#6. Avoid large targets, aol, hotmail, ect.

Mar 2, 2003 at 1:58 PM Post #5 of 27
I installed McAfee Spam Killer and it dumps a ton of unwanted email.

For online ads I have Add/Subtract to filter pop-ups and ads.

and I never respond to the ones that get through the spam killer no matter how angry they make me.

John

Mar 2, 2003 at 2:16 PM Post #6 of 27
Just delete just about anything that has even a whiff of spam to it. I've tried spam filters and it always seems like it doesn't matter.

If you're really concerned, don't ever get a hotmail account. They don't call it HOTmail for nothing.
biggrin.gif

Mar 2, 2003 at 4:32 PM Post #7 of 27
I use my filtering options in Outlook. I have a number of rules set up that gets about 90% or more of the spam. I uses the add to junk sender list on any that make it through. I now get almost no spam on my primary email account. One of the most important rules to add is to reject all mail that is not addressed to you.

Mar 2, 2003 at 4:53 PM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by john_jcb
I use my filtering options in Outlook. One of the most important rules to add is to reject all mail that is not addressed to you.

Hi-
I have looked at my Outlook Message Rules and cannot find the ability to reject all mail not addressed to me. Can you point me in the right direction? I am running Outlook Express 6.

Thanks-
John

Mar 2, 2003 at 5:15 PM Post #9 of 27
Mar 2, 2003 at 5:53 PM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by CaptBubba

#4 Have either an .edu or .mil ardress, you will get no spam.

Really? Why/how does that work? Must be nice for those with such addresses if this is true.

Mar 2, 2003 at 6:12 PM Post #12 of 27
I just started using a program called POPFile, for use with POP3 email services. It acts as your incoming mail server and works with many common email programs, without being at all obtrusive. It may take you 30 mins to get it set up and learn to use it, but thats not that bad. Basically what it does is, everytime you get an email you have to classify it into different 'buckets' that you create. I have a "mymail" bucket for personal mail, a "junk" bucket for forwarded messages I get from friends and "spam" bucket for, well spam. At first the program doesn't know anything, so it has to be trained. Each time you receive an email, you must classify it to fit into one of your buckets in the program. The more you train it, the smarter it gets. Eventually you'll get it to the point where it's smart enough to start classifying your email on its own and with like 90+% accuracy. Of course, any time an email gets misclassified, you have to tell it it made a mistake, and it gets even smarter. Someone I know who runs a very large website apparently used to get 50-60 spam a day on his email... after four days "training" he says only 1-2 emails made it out of his 'spam' bucket.

I'm not really up on the technicality of how it works, but it seems the program is entirely made from perl, and the interface is accessed by viewing http://127.0.0.1:8080 on the machine you use. Also, I've read that it'll work with multiple POP3 email accounts, though I'm not sure how.

Mar 2, 2003 at 9:52 PM Post #13 of 27
Wow, I was just about to post, buy ob3ron beat me to it. I also use popfile. In the few weeks I've had it installed, it has been amazing. At first, it let a few slip by. In the past week and a half, not one e-mail has slipped by. Its amazing@

Mar 3, 2003 at 12:44 AM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by Calanctus
Really? Why/how does that work? Must be nice for those with such addresses if this is true.

Well, it is a federal offense to send unsolicited email to a .mil adress, and spammers know it.

As for .edu, the whole poor college kid stigma applies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back