What Malcolm Arnold symphonies should I get?
Oct 23, 2007 at 8:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Hadden

100+ Head-Fier
I am enjoying th Previn Vaughn-Williams set, and I like Elgar, and Walton -- I'd like to try some more British composers. I don't know anything about Arnold, if he is the obvious next try or not. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Oct 23, 2007 at 9:21 PM Post #2 of 10
Arnold is so much better than these others, you are in for a treat (assuming you like more modern elements). I'd rec both the Penny cycle on Naxos and the Handley cycle on Decca.

Oct 24, 2007 at 1:15 AM Post #3 of 10
I don't think I'd ever agree that Arnold is so much better than these others, especially Elgar and Vaughan Williams, but his music is very attractive, well-scored, and very much worth getting to know. Penny on Naxos is fine -- but make sure to get the Scottish and English dances!

I really love the British composers, and there are several others you ought to investigate: Arnold Bax wrote some wonderfully atmospheric symphonies. Then there's Bridge, Britten, Rubbra, Searle (only for the toughest ears), Dyson, and I can't omit Parry or Stanford.

Oct 24, 2007 at 12:40 PM Post #5 of 10
The only Bax disc I own is this one that includes his symphonic poems:

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/...lbum_id=103065

The review from Classics Today states:

"If you're in the market for a single disc of Bax tone poems, or even a single disc of Bax, then this one certainly fills the bill."

There is an interesting disc on Reference Recordings of the Dallas Winds playing pieces that Arnold wrote for winds, or later transcribed for winds....."Arnold For Winds".......that was my introduction to Arnold. I personally prefer his work in that genre to his symphonies. As mbhaub noted above, his dance suites are absolute gems and are fairly well established now in the wind ensemble library.

Oct 24, 2007 at 12:44 PM Post #6 of 10
Elgar is my favorite of the Brits I've heard so far. I listened to Vaughan Williams 8th yesterday a couple of times and I think I am going to like it. I haven't tried the 9th of his yet from the Previn set.

It usually takes me 3 or 4 listens before I start to get symphonies, or any complex music. I must say I find the VW 4th bombastic. It doesn't seem quite him somehow.

Oct 24, 2007 at 12:58 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by sejarzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only Bax disc I own is this one that includes his symphonic poems:

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/...lbum_id=103065

The review from Classics Today states:

"If you're in the market for a single disc of Bax tone poems, or even a single disc of Bax, then this one certainly fills the bill."

There is an interesting disc on Reference Recordings of the Dallas Winds playing pieces that Arnold wrote for winds, or later transcribed for winds....."Arnold For Winds".......that was my introduction to Arnold. I personally prefer his work in that genre to his symphonies. As mbhaub noted above, his dance suites are absolute gems and are fairly well established now in the wind ensemble library.

"....prevents the typical shapeless Baxian blob." from the review as well. A rather unflattering description of his musical character. I love the Naxos discs for trying out new music. I'll try this one to test the waters. The Arnold suggestions as well, thanks.

Oct 25, 2007 at 2:51 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hadden /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks guys, I'm glad the Naxos are good. I'll pick up a bunch of them with the cheapo price.

Mbhaub, what of the Bax should I try first?

As someone else noted, you might start with the tone poems. There are two superb compilations on Chandos. If it's symphonies in particular you want, you might find Bax's symphonic style somewhat strange. There is no one like him. If you like deep, dark sounds -- like Lord of the Rings soundtracks -- you should love Bax. Start with Symphony 3 -- virtually any of the available recordings will be fine (go Naxos!). If you like it then go ahead and keep trying the rest. I only came to know Bax about years ago when Chandos released their first complete set of symphonies. Since then I've collected everything the man wrote that is on cd, and as far as the orchestral music goes I've never had any regrets. I simply love the sound of his orchestral palette.

Oct 25, 2007 at 11:51 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Arnold is so much better than these others, you are in for a treat (assuming you like more modern elements). I'd rec both the Penny cycle on Naxos and the Handley cycle on Decca.

I agree Arnold is more interesting. The symphonies, especially the later ones, are much more modern in style than the late romantic lush string sound of Elgar and V-W. Arnold uses lots of wind elements and plenty of brass with jazz elements, but has strong, memorable themes. Sample the collection of dances on Naxos first.

For music more in the style of Elgar and V-W, Bax or Sibelius might be good to explore. The Bax tone poems are good to start. There is a Naxos disc with Symphony No. 2 and November Woods that I like.

Oct 25, 2007 at 12:40 PM Post #10 of 10
Thanks for the help guys. I have 8 discs in my amazon cart now.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back