What makes the Sennheiser 598s so bad for rock/metal?
Sep 23, 2016 at 11:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Zoofiee

New Head-Fier
Hey
I'm on the search for some headphones under £200 that are good without an amp (I'll be using with my interface), that are good with a variety of music - but including rock/metal.
Alot of people have said stay away from Sennheiser if you listen to metal, why is this the case? I was looking at the 598s.

I've tried out Grados (too uncomfy) and the M50s (didn't like the sound that much).

Additional question - what other headphones should I look at?

Sep 23, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #2 of 20
The HD598 have bass, just not a lot of bass.

Check out the Soundmagic HP200 headphones.

Sep 24, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #3 of 20
HD598 is a bit polite sounding for some rock/metal lovers. Just that!
Nice headphone anyway.

Sep 24, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #4 of 20
  The HD598 have bass, just not a lot of bass.

Check out the Soundmagic HP200 headphones.

confused_face(1).gif

Rock/Metal generally dont have much low end bass,unless its neu-metal.For those genres we want mids to make those guitars scream!

Sep 25, 2016 at 1:14 AM Post #5 of 20

[size=24.57px]What makes the Sennheiser 598s so bad for rock/metal?[/size]

Alot of people have said stay away from Sennheiser if you listen to metal, why is this the case? I was looking at the 598s.

There's a lot more wrong with people's perception of sound than there is with the response of Sennheisers. For one, they recommend Grados absolutely over Sennheisers as opposed to recognizing what things are done well by either. An HD6x0/580 or HD598 generally has a much smoother response curve that presents a sound that is closer to what was intended (not exact of course, but closer to that). Grados on the other hand have jagged response graphs with peaks and plateaus in certain ranges that enhance the sound in a way as to emphasize the beat, the bite on the electric guitars, the "raw"-ness of the vocals due to how strong the response is around the human vocal range. Add to that the driver mount and earpad design, and on top of EQ-ing the sound, the way the driver is positioned only pushes the sound forward and more "in your face," it screws up the soundstage with a strong L-C-R with weak signals between L-C and C-R. That means drum rolls eirher only seem to move from L to C to R, and cymbals sound like they're right by your ears.

I personally prefer listening to metal (mostly power, prog) on the HD600 and then jazz on the RS1. it's with Blues that making decision is very hard - on one hand the HD600 isn't exactly a slouch on the "in your face punch and bite with a foot-tapping effect" department given an amp that can drive it, bueven though it sounds exaggerated, MightyMoRogers sounds fantastic on Grados. Note that while I use my HD600 now after selling mg SR225 I'm saving up for a Headphile Vixen, which is basically a Beyerdynamic chassis with custom cups and Grado SR325 drivers. Will be using that for casual listening and as a  transportable.

Sep 26, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #8 of 20
So you find the HD598 isn't too 'smooth' for rock/metal like alot of people say?

It's more of a laid-back sound, so yes, might be a bit too "smooth", if you will. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I want to feel a bit more energy.
I prefer using the 598's for classic rock/metal (Nirvana/Iron Maiden) and "funner" headphones with modern rock/metal (A Day To Remember/Slipknot).

Sep 26, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #9 of 20
I havent heard the 598,but I used to own the HD600,and to my ears they did not do rock/metal justice....def too laid back.

Sep 26, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #10 of 20
It's more of a laid-back sound, so yes, might be a bit too "smooth", if you will. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I want to feel a bit more energy.
I prefer using the 598's for classic rock/metal (Nirvana/Iron Maiden) and "funner" headphones with modern rock/metal (A Day To Remember/Slipknot).

I havent heard the 598,but I used to own the HD600,and to my ears they did not do rock/metal justice....def too laid back.

Cheers guys

Any chance you could recommend to me a more 'fun' headphone for rock/metal? Preferably that's good without a powerful amp!

Sep 26, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #11 of 20
I thought the 558 were ok for some types of metal, mostly power and progressive.  They lacked the ability to get low for death metal and to really feel the punch of the double bass drum.  They're open back which is where some of it comes from, but they are also a bit to analytical IMO for metal.  I found the Phillips SHP9500 more well rounded for rock and metal for my taste and has just enough low end to feel the punch I mentioned earlier.  I tried the Grado SR60e and found them to harsh in the mids and treble to veiled for my taste.  Cymbal hits that I know were there would get lost and forgotten with the Grados.  I listen to just about every genre of metal and so far I've been pleased with the Phillips.

Sep 26, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #12 of 20

Cheers guys

Any chance you could recommend to me a more 'fun' headphone for rock/metal? Preferably that's good without a powerful amp!

With a bit of hesitancy I would say Grados or Alessandros.I am hesitant because many love them and many hate them,not to mention some folks find them uncomfortable.

I personally have no issues with their comfort,though I own several others that a lot more cozy to wear.

I own a modded Grado that is really nice,but the driver has been replaced with a Magnum driver that blows my Alessandros out of the water,but then again my HE500 and AD2000s blow my GradoMagnum out of the water,but both require serious amping....Grados do not need a powerful amp,but they do scale well with one.

EDIT: I would suggest getting a Grado 80e(99.00 usd) from Amazon and see if the sound and comfort is for you.If you like the way they do rock/metal return them and upgrado to a 225e or 325e.

If you dont like them send em back and move on

Sep 26, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #14 of 20
Open-back: Philips Fidelio X2
Closed-back: Beyerdynamic DT-770 32-Ohm

I respectfully disagree 100%
I own the X1,which is essentially the same as X2 and the mids lack attack.I use them exclusively for PS4 gaming,and for that theyre great.
DT770s highs are painful...worst headphones Ive ever owned,and that was smoothing them out with an OTL tube amp.

YMMV

Sep 26, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #15 of 20

With a bit of hesitancy I would say Grados or Alessandros.I am hesitant because many love them and many hate them,not to mention some folks find them uncomfortable.

I personally have no issues with their comfort,though I own several others that a lot more cozy to wear.

I own a modded Grado that is really nice,but the driver has been replaced with a Magnum driver that blows my Alessandros out of the water,but then again my HE500 and AD2000s blow my GradoMagnum out of the water,but both require serious amping....Grados do not need a powerful amp,but they do scale well with one.

Tried my friends Grado 225, can't get on with them at all unfortunately. Don't find them all that comfy either! 
Thanks for the recommendation anyway though :)

*sigh*, the search continues!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back