What makes the Ipod's preset "EQs" true?
Mar 22, 2007 at 10:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ryanhayn

100+ Head-Fier
I mean why are the ipod's EQs like, electronic, dance, bass booster, small speakers, etc. what they say they are? Who says those particular frequency adjustments go well with that type of music? I don't get it..
blink.gif

oh, and how long does a song have to play before it can be added to the itunes play count?

Mar 22, 2007 at 12:29 PM Post #2 of 9
just the last few seconds of a song have to play. if you start a song and move the slider all the way till there are 1 or 2 seconds and let that play, it will count.

Mar 22, 2007 at 1:50 PM Post #3 of 9
I just think that they had to call the presets something....
We all have different taste, and therefore there can not be an eq that fits a genré for everybody...

BTW does anybody know if it is possible to change the presets ? or making new ones ??

Mar 22, 2007 at 1:56 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Claus-DK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW does anybody know if it is possible to change the presets ? or making new ones ??

With Rockbox, yes. In Apple's firmware, no.

Mar 22, 2007 at 8:13 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

I just think that they had to call the presets something....
We all have different taste, and therefore there can not be an eq that fits a genré for everybody...

I dunno about on an iPod but in iTunes you can.

in the iTunes EQ window and at the top of the drop menu you have the option of "Make Preset" and "Edit List".

Mar 23, 2007 at 4:17 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Yes but that would not change the EQ on the Ipod as far as i can understand...

that's why I said "I dunno about on a iPod but.."

just thought I would mention it in case you did not know that you could make new presets for iTunes. it did not sound like ya did..

I think this will answer your question.

iPod: How to use the equalizer
You can use equalizer presets to change iPod's sound to suit a particular music genre or style.

For example, to make rock music sound better, set the equalizer to Rock.

Select Settings in the main menu. Then select EQ and select a music type.

If you assign an equalizer preset to a song using iTunes, then turn on the iPod's equalizer by selecting any equalizer setting other than off. The song will play using the iTunes setting if the iTunes setting exists on iPod.

You can't create custom equalizer settings on iPod, or transfer custom settings to iPod.
---------------------

iPod: About the Equalizer
iTunes and iPod software allow you to control the equalization or "EQ" of a song.

iTunes equalizer presets

iPod's equalizer has the same equalizer presets as iTunes (except Loudness). This allows a high level of integration between iPod and iTunes.

After you encode or "rip" a song using iTunes, you can assign that song one of 22 equalizer presets. Once you assign a preset to a song, iTunes will use it each time you play the song. When you copy the song from your computer to iPod, the equalizer preset you chose in iTunes is also copied, and iPod will play the song with the same preset. For example, if you assign a song the "Rock" preset in iTunes, iPod will play that song with the "Rock" preset and iPod will play the song with the same preset as long as the EQ on the iPod is not set to off

If you don't assign a preset to a song, iTunes and iPod simply play the song as it was encoded, unless you turn on the general equalizer, which applies to all songs being played. In this case, though, that equalizer preset is not saved with each song.

iPod's equalizer settings offer a wide range of options, which are explained in the next section.

iPod EQ settings

EQ - Off
iPod does not use the equalizer. Songs play as they were encoded.
Songs that have been assigned an equalizer preset in iTunes do not play with that setting.

EQ - Flat
Songs without an equalizer preset assigned to them in iTunes play as they were encoded (same as EQ - Off).
Songs that have been assigned an equalizer preset in iTunes play with that setting.

EQ - (other)
Songs without an equalizer preset assigned to them in iTunes play using the EQ setting selected on iPod.
Songs that have been assigned an equalizer preset in iTunes play with that setting, not the one selected on iPod. You can temporarily play a song using one of iPod's other EQ settings as follows:
Play the song on iPod.
While the song is playing, press the Menu button until you have navigated to the main screen.
Select Settings.
Select EQ.
Select a particular EQ setting you want to try.
The song will play to the end with the new EQ setting. The next time the song is played, it will play with the EQ setting assigned to it in iTunes.

Notes

iPod does not use custom equalizer settings made in iTunes. You can't create custom equalizer settings on iPod, or transfer custom settings to iPod.
Turn EQ off if you don’t use it. Equalizer is a feature that uses your iPod battery more quickly. If you don’t use EQ, your iPod will play tunes longer. Adding EQs to playback uses more of your iPod processor, since they aren’t encoded in the song. If, however, you’ve added EQ to tracks in iTunes, you’ll need to set EQ to “flat” in order to have the effect of “off,” because iPod keeps your iTunes settings intact.
Related documents

61563: iPod: How to Use the Equalizer
61109: iTunes: About Equalizers
60930: iTunes: Preset Equalizer Settings

Mar 23, 2007 at 10:09 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by cherepashka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ipod EQ suck so bad... Creates distortion even on low volumes...

Indeed, some of them do, particularly those which emphasize bass. I'm currently using an 80GB iPod Video with a new pair of Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro's, and some EQ settings, on some songs, result in unacceptable bass distortion.

For the record, my favorite EQ setting is "Electronic," because it tends to pluck out vocals a bit. "Vocal Booster" is way too strong. I really just wish the damn thing had a built-in graphical EQ.

I'm thinking that the iPod is distorting because it's not really well-equipped to drive an 80 ohm load, and its output amplifier is clipping. In other words, the distortion is not caused by a problem with the software EQ, it's just that the output amp can't carry enough power to accurately represent the EQ'd sound.

As a result, I'm considering purchasing a headphone amp. Honestly, I'm very pleased with the overall sound as it is, and the only reason I might justify spending another $100 on an amplifier is to get rid of the (occassional) bass distortion. Maybe I'll stop by the Head-fi Meet next month and try out some headphone amps to see if they really do what I'd like them to do before buying. It's just down the street from me.
3000smile.gif

- Warren

Users who are viewing this thread

Back