What makes philips Pro2 good
May 19, 2008 at 7:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Head-Fier
Apparently, many people regard the phillips Pro2 transport to be the best of the best in the market. Does anyone know what its so much better than the other ones?

Thanks for your comments in advance

May 20, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by 92135011 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apparently, many people regard the phillips Pro2 transport to be the best of the best in the market. Does anyone know what its so much better than the other ones?

Thanks for your comments in advance

Build quality......and probably toploader........it is used only in high end or diy high cost players because of the unit costs; about 200-250 dollars a piece...wich is compared to the usual transports very expensive. I think only the custom made teac laserpickup system is as... or even more expensive as the philips pro! But that system you'll only find in very expensive top end cdplayers or systems...(transport/dac).

Yes, the philips pro is very well regarded and a very well made, full metal base transport/laserpickup...

I would pick anytime a philips pro2 cdplayer over any other standard or sony transport based cdplayer!

May 20, 2008 at 3:09 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

All the old Philips CDM mechs are diecast metal with high powered swing arm laser designs dating from the early days of CD when there were doubts about pressing quality etc. They had to read music discs perfectly in real time as ram buffers were too expensive a concept back then and error correction wasn't anywhere near perfected to the same levels as today.

It's a bit like cassette decks if you can cast your mind that far back. In the 1970s and early '80s the only way to guarantee a stable tape transport was by precision mechanical engineering of heads, rollers, tensioners, guides etc so that the tape path was absolutely dead perfect and the mechanism could be relied upon to stay that way in use.
Later as the '80s turned into the '90s costs were cut on expensive mechanisms as technologies like Dolby C, SR, HX-Pro etc.. allowed similar or even better levels of performance to be squeezed from a tape, at least on paper. But did these filters make for the same levels of sound quality. Not really...

Today nobody even makes a transport just to play music cd's (other than Teac's VRDS) so every dedicated CD player you buy has to make do with a repurposed DVD-ROM drive. Of course on paper a DVD-ROM drive can extract the information from the CD just as well as the old Philips CDM. It doesn't need to as it's fast enough to make several passes and take the best averaged out data extracted so in theory it should be better.
But there are other factors like the fact it's made of light plastics which vibrate and optical disc readers are obviously very susceptible to this so it should influence the sound quality.

May 20, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #4 of 12
Sounds good. So as far as transports go, it seems that the build and reliability of the phillips pro2 mechanism is a solid choice. I just wanted to confirm before making a purchase. Seeing that the transport itself costs a hefty 200 a piece, if I add the price of other parts such as remote, display, chassis, power supply, and all the other stuff, I can see why the price of these CDPs are significantly more expensive. Certainly won't find them in the $500 category

May 22, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Sounds good. So as far as transports go, it seems that the build and reliability of the phillips pro2 mechanism is a solid choice. I just wanted to confirm before making a purchase. Seeing that the transport itself costs a hefty 200 a piece, if I add the price of other parts such as remote, display, chassis, power supply, and all the other stuff, I can see why the price of these CDPs are significantly more expensive. Certainly won't find them in the $500 category

Nope, 1500 and above...they start to appear in cdplayers midrange 1500-2000 and high end players starting 2000 and up.

todate the expensive teac mechanism and the philips pro 2 are the best you can get.

May 22, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #6 of 12
which 1500 players have the phillips pro transport? I haven't seen any to date

May 22, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

which 1500 players have the phillips pro transport? I haven't seen any to date

there is a DIY high end cdplayer wich uses the philips pro 2. In parts, it is less or about 1500 dollars...

May 24, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #8 of 12
RELIABILITY SPECIFICATIONS
Lifetime: 750 hours B1
7500 hours B10
MTBF: >30000 hours
(100% duty cycle)
Sledge movements: 500k cycles (full stroke)
AQL: 0.65% major
1.50% minor

B10 means the number of hours this transport will run before 10% will break down. Another interesting stat is AQL. I looked it up and it works something like this. When a batch of transports are produced, a random sample will be taken. Let's say that in a run, 2000 units are produced and that 125 units are tested. 1.5% would indicate that if 5 units had minor flaws, then the whole batch would be deemed a defective batch. 0.65 would indicate that 2 units with major flaws would deem the batch defective. Now I don't know how to stacks up to the competition, but 7500hours for at least 90% of the units is not bad. That would be listening for 4 hours a day for 5 years.

May 25, 2008 at 4:33 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there is a DIY high end cdplayer wich uses the philips pro 2. In parts, it is less or about 1500 dollars...

I build a transport while ago using CD-PRO2 for around $1000 total , it's a kit from Taiwan, but I added some modifications to make it nicer.
CD0524-17.jpg

May 25, 2008 at 11:14 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Now I don't know how to stacks up to the competition, but 7500hours for at least 90% of the units is not bad. That would be listening for 4 hours a day for 5 years.

I have many Philips based machines with the CDM-1 which are still going after 25 years. The Pro is the closest thing Philips make to that today. Pro use would require running 24/7 flawlessly for at least 5 years in a radio station for instance, although they are mostly on media servers these days.

May 26, 2008 at 4:18 AM Post #12 of 12

Users who are viewing this thread

Back