What Makes Music Expressive?
Jun 2, 2011 at 11:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

attenuated 3db

1000+ Head-Fier
I stole this thread title directly from the headline to an interactive online  test on The New York Times website described thus: "Scientists have been trying to unravel what specific components of music make it emotionally expressive. The following quiz is based on research by Daniel Levitin, director of the laboratory for music perception, cognition and expertise at McGill University."

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/04/18/science/20110419-music-expression.html

Head-Fi folks spend so much time doing A-B or "ABX" comparisons of equipment, I thought this might interest folks, and I didn't see an existing thread that it would fit neatly into.

Jun 2, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #2 of 6
Funny thing about that is that I got the first three "correct" (i.e. favoured the human interpretation) with no problem at all; I didn't even listen to the samples through. Then I came to the last and picked the one that sounded like Glenn Gould ... big mistake ...

Jun 2, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #3 of 6
For me is definitely the synergy between a vocalists voice, technique and the notes. - if its for vocal music

Instrumental pieces, I tend to like them when they just have that magic vibrato and feeling to like

Jun 2, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #5 of 6
I got all but the last one right two. The combination of rhythm and volume really determine expressiveness. I really didn't care for the more than human one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back