What makes me so sad
Sep 19, 2008 at 4:06 AM Post #16 of 40
At least you don't have people coming up to you on breaks at university extolling the virtues of how awesome skull candy are while I'm listening to my Super.fi 3's or K81djs.

I just nod and agree. I figure their ignorance wins in the end because they haven't spent $500+ on a hobby yet.

Sep 19, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #18 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by idiotekniQues /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and a few buds/iem type jobbie with a black and white cord (anyone know what they are they may be good).

Those would be the bose in ears. I see them everywhere.

Sep 19, 2008 at 7:13 AM Post #19 of 40
Thanks for clearing that one up. I was just going to ask about that. I've seen several of those B&W cables on my campus. Wasn't sure what brand they were. Judging by the driver body from a distance, I thought they might be Skullcandy, but I ruled that out since I have the smokin buds as a beat-up pair.

I've seen quite a few Bose. I saw a guy in my chemistry lecture with the B&W cable plus I saw someone else today with triports around their neck.

Sep 19, 2008 at 7:29 AM Post #20 of 40
O c'mon guys.
Get off your high horse - it isn't as if those people were stupid, they just have other preferences and I think most of us would be more happy with their music, if they didn't discover head-fi and get into that "omg, i have to buy amp/recable/new Flac-player/rip all my cds again"-phase that most of the people here are in.

Those people on the street simply enjoy their music and don't think it's worth to spend more money on headphones because they can hear the artist - so they basically get the important thing.

We're just a little group of pseudo elite - just visit a "tea-forum" and you'll hear the people say "omg, those ignorants who let their china-newyears-4 steep only 3 instead of 4 minutes" or talk with some people who spend more money on food who're absolutly sure that your missing the enjoyment of eating good if you don't spend much money on it (I mean, there are people who've never had Mozzarella di Buffola or a good Aceto Balsamico - can you even call that eating?!)

So in the end, let's be glad that we enjoy something more than others, sad that we have to spend so much money on it and don't care about "how much better we are"

. (point)

mahatma

Sep 19, 2008 at 7:41 AM Post #21 of 40
i agree with above poster, what we do is simply just a hobby. theres actually high end i guess u can call it shoe forums. for those shoe heads. they know as much about shoes as much as we know about audio. hey u know, maybe some of us here, i personally dont, think spending 300 or 500 dollars on a pair of shoes are pointless and stupid. they might think the same about our audio. its all preference of what peoples hobby's are. as u guys say how sad it is all of them have white ipod earbuds, those guys at the shoe forum might say how sad it is how little knowledge or care we have for shoes. im not trying to go against u guys or anything, but i just wanted u guys to see the overall picture. and no, i do care about shoes. i know a good amount of shoe knowledge but i do not spend 500 dollars on shoes.

Sep 19, 2008 at 8:31 AM Post #22 of 40
To above posters: the thing that's pissing me off isn't that they have crappy earphones, it's that they're willing to spend hundreds of dollars on an ipod but not one on a decent pair of earphones.

You'd think someone serious enough about his music to buy a 300$+ ipod would put more care into the quality of sound he's getting. All those hip kids playing with their ipods like it's a toy, how many ****ing times do you need to change songs dammit, is your music that ****ty! To me quality of the sound is more important than quantity of songs I can carry, just like quality of image is more important than size of the screen etc.

Sep 19, 2008 at 10:51 AM Post #23 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Tuttle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To me quality of the sound is more important than quantity of songs I can carry, just like quality of image is more important than size of the screen etc.

Not everyone has the same priorities as you, me and most of the Head-fi populace however. Many buy iPods merely as accessory, to make themselves belong to the rest of the iPod-strutting public. This is where they see most of the money being spent on. They (more probably than not) appreciate being able to carry around their tunes beyond the confines of their PC. Sound quality is unlikely to be on the fore of their mind however. I'm sure they think it sounds fine enough.

Sep 19, 2008 at 11:11 AM Post #24 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not everyone has the same priorities as you, me and most of the Head-fi populace however.

Yeah and many Ipod-owners just bought them because they know that it's quite easy to handle and it works - even though they've had a bad reputation on head-fi, they're more reliable than 30$ China-sticks.
My first Ipod, which was a mini and soon to be replaced by an Cowon Iaudio x5, was bought because of the prestige of the brand "ipod" and because I knew I'd work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure they think it sounds fine enough.

Just as I, and i'm pretty sure many head-fiers, thought before that fateful day when I went into the lokal hifi-store to listen to some Sennheiser HD 650 and 25's.

Sep 19, 2008 at 3:34 PM Post #25 of 40
Honestly you shouldnt feel bad for them. I used my ibuds until they fell apart and quite enjoyed them. Theyre light and provide decent sound/bass. My only big gripe was that they fell out when I ran.

I owned ER4p's and Senn HD500 meanwhile, but I preferred the ease and lightness of the ibud's. The tradeoff in sound quality didnt tip the scale for me.

Sep 19, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #26 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThreadStarter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly you shouldnt feel bad for them. I used my ibuds until they fell apart and quite enjoyed them. Theyre light and provide decent sound/bass. My only big gripe was that they fell out when I ran.

I owned ER4p's and Senn HD500 meanwhile, but I preferred the ease and lightness of the ibud's. The tradeoff in sound quality didnt tip the scale for me.

I know what you are saying... I think...

But the differences are night and day. Before I became and audiophile I used to "enjoy" ibuds, but once I heard the difference a good pair of cans made, there was no turning back.

Decent is in the eye/ear of the beholder... So you are right that it may have been good for you, and in that case me as well, but that doesn't make them good.

A saying I think applies and has probably already been said but, Ignorance is bliss. I do feel sad that people are listening to crummy audio, but if they don't know the difference, and don't want to know it then there's nothing we or anyone else can do. That said, I still want people to hear the differences and make the switch to better audio.

Sep 19, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #27 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by jordanross /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know what you are saying... I think...

But the differences are night and day. Before I became and audiophile I used to "enjoy" ibuds, but once I heard the difference a good pair of cans made, there was no turning back.

Decent is in the eye/ear of the beholder... So you are right that it may have been good for you, and in that case me as well, but that doesn't make them good.

A saying I think applies and has probably already been said but, Ignorance is bliss. I do feel sad that people are listening to crummy audio, but if they don't know the difference, and don't want to know it then there's nothing we or anyone else can do. That said, I still want people to hear the differences and make the switch to better audio.

There's also another old saying: "You never miss what you never had".

Sep 19, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #28 of 40
im not looking down upon people per se. nor do i expect people to go out and spend 300 bucks on IEMS or start making audio equipment a hobby. i just think it is a bit sad to know that for even just a little bit of money they can get far more enjoyment out of their music but 95% of people do not.

if you are willing to spend 2-300 on a player, the money on the pc to store your music, and buy the music too - it would be totally appropriate to invest a little bit int he music delivery system. for a little bit of money you can reap years of infinitely better music reproduction.

today in a subway car of the 11 people i could see with headphones, 8 were the stock white earbuds of the ipod.

Sep 19, 2008 at 11:41 PM Post #29 of 40
I say that pl on Head-Fi retain a right to act elite If and Only If the other person has enough spare money to buy say a pair of shure iems and have tried a pair but doesn't. Because they will have had knowledge and a choice, and we can look down at their tastes in that choice. However, most people simply havent heard of them and iems aren't demoed everywhere and most people aren't content to plonk down money by reading reviews on the net.

There's also another point about earbuds, the fact that its not sound isolating means that you can hear other people. Some of my friends explicit state that when people speak to them, they want to hear it, or the fact that they may want to hear a car when they cross the road. While I couldn't care less about the worldly sonics when I listen to my music. I have been called antisocial for that haha

Sep 19, 2008 at 11:43 PM Post #30 of 40
I wish a company other than Etymotic could make an IEM that didn't sound like mud. Because in terms of usability the ER-4P are godawful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back