what made the Sony R10 special?
Apr 22, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #181 of 193
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sony MDR-R10 on ebay.

Have at it!
wink.gif

No offense to the seller, but I would think there would be more pics for a can that is worth over 6K? In any case best of luck to the seller on their sale
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 22, 2009 at 5:46 AM Post #182 of 193
Wow, man, that eBay auction is lousy at best and insane at worst. When you're charging that much for something (no matter what it is) you really ought to at least TRY and sell it.

You know, it's amazing to see the Qualia 010 mentioned in the same thread as the R10, a ways back. They just seem so entirely unrelated when you compare them in any way.

If someone put a Qualia on my head and placed a gun in one hand and my favorite CD in the other, I'd happily blow my brains out rather than murder my most enjoyed album.

Apr 22, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #183 of 193
Quote:

Originally Posted by riceboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No offense to the seller, but I would think there would be more pics for a can that is worth over 6K? In any case best of luck to the seller on their sale
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, be wary of any ebay listing for that amount of money that is insisting on a "wire transfer"! This is just wrong.

Apr 22, 2009 at 6:24 AM Post #184 of 193
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, be wary of any ebay listing for that amount of money that is insisting on a "wire transfer"! This is just wrong.

he was a member here and at least back then was open to driving to up to 4 hours distance to complete the sale in person so i dont think that's that suspicious.

Lack of high quality pictures will hurt him though. As far as paypal goes, thats not much of a surprise. It is very easy to get screwed in a transaction via paypal. Someone could also opt to do a chargeback if they pay through CC. He'd be better off selling it to known members here or on Audiogon.

Apr 22, 2009 at 7:08 AM Post #185 of 193
Quote:

Originally Posted by riceboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

If you search around Ballchai was/is a headfi member. About 3 years ago I was going to buy his R10 (probably the exact same one) for around 3.7k but unfortunately I wasn't able to do it. I still have the pictures of the pair that he was going to sell to me. If I recall correctly it should be the eariler R10 (either SN #39 or #89). The carrying case is not in a good shape however. I believe he has or used to have three pair of R10. Bid with your own risk though. Price is definitely high for his pair.

Found some pics:

1.jpg

Apr 22, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #188 of 193
I see no problems paying with Paypal; I paid my B52 with it.

May 24, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #190 of 193
Someone emailed me a general question about headphones vs. speakers, and I rambled on a bit about my R10s, so I decided to post my response here, for what it's worth:

After going through a number of headphones, I believe that the
secret to a natural sense of space is really achieved by the ability to convey an image where
each component has its own character, both in tonality and separation from what's around
around it. What is really nice is a kind of soft edge on musical objects, but still with a bit of
air around it.

As far as the "big space" thing goes, Grado GS1000s are the best at this.
I also like the AKG 701s.
If you have a tube amp, the choice of tube affects the spatial performance a good deal.
(I like my RSA B52 with upgraded tubes, which is especially nice with the AKGs.)

But for the kind of natural micro-spacing that is authentic, my Sony R10s are the only
ones that can do that to a point where you actually don't feel that speakers are any better.
They don't emulate speakers, and you know you are wearing headphones, but they provide
an alternative sense of space such that you don't feel it is unnatural, or closed in, or that
tiny sounds are coming from small drivers next to your head. It is bizarre, subtle, and not immediately
apparent, but the soundfield of the R10s is totally satisfying without creating a large space,
as the behavior of each sound component, and the interaction between them, is somehow
true-to-life. The R10s are the only ones that make me forget that these are headphones, not speakers,
even though they are a different experience than speakers.

May 25, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #191 of 193
Was fortunate enough to listen to Purk's set last month at the Atl meet and IMO the heaphones themselves...did not exist...only the music was there...lush...detailed...fast..accurate...immersi ve...very thankful to have had the chance to audition them.

May 25, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #192 of 193
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Was fortunate enough to listen to Purk's set last month at the Atl meet and IMO the heaphones themselves...did not exist...only the music was there...lush...detailed...fast..accurate...immersi ve...very thankful to have had the chance to audition them.

The R10 can do things no other headphone can do.. That demands a premium.

May 25, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #193 of 193
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trav /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Glad you enjoy it man.
regular_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back