What loudness-war victim depresses you the most?
Aug 26, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #61 of 76
Whats the Story Morning Glory, had like -4dbs when most LOUD albums at the time were -9 its insane. I think the SACD is good though.

Aug 27, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #62 of 76
The Chili Peppers' later albums. They have such a clean sound but the loudness war has killed any sort of dynamics. Blah.

Aug 27, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #63 of 76
One good way to remedy this, is get as many Japanese releases as you can. When I A/B them I notice (most of the time) alot more clarity and pop to the sound. At first listen you might not notice but its there.

Aug 27, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #66 of 76
They assume most people only use ipods and car stereos so they wouldnt notice. There should be 2 versions of albums. Seriously, the teenage loudness garbage and the real actual recordings.

Sep 1, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #68 of 76
Seems like any new rock/metal/electronic music is ruined. Unless its from a small studio or a Vinyl release that I rip to FLAC. It usually is brickwalled to sh1t. I wish they would cut this out finally. I mean the Metallica Death Magnetic issue and having like 16,000 fans sign a petition in 10 days is really proof positive that loudness is annoying and a waste. Maybe just release itunes versions with loudness factor. But real albums should be made for HiFi. They even sound ****ty on Bose systems.

Sep 1, 2009 at 3:24 AM Post #69 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoYouRight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems like any new rock/metal/electronic music is ruined. Unless its from a small studio or a Vinyl release that I rip to FLAC. It usually is brickwalled to sh1t.

Check out some of the artists linked at Chicago Mastering Service. You will find some recent releases there that haven't been brickwalled. Chicago Mastering Service also has a nice writeup on loudness. It's good to find a mastering studio that is trying to take a stand against loudness. Now if only Metallica and Rush would use their service for their next albums.

Sep 1, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #71 of 76
yes especially the new Arctic Monkeys album.

BTW thanks for the link HamSammich

Sep 1, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #73 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Adab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd recomment the guitar hero rip of Death Magnetic for any Metallica fans, some songs are unrecognisable

Yeah, I saw a YouTube video for this. Amazing that they'd put better versions on a game, but the difference was pretty clear and that's from a YouTube video that's most likely already compressed to some extent.

Sep 1, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #74 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulb09 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I saw a YouTube video for this. Amazing that they'd put better versions on a game, but the difference was pretty clear and that's from a YouTube video that's most likely already compressed to some extent.

Its not that they put out a better version for GH, but guys at GH developement get their hands on original master tapes of each instruments (or copies. thats how they can make each instruments individual sounds so when one guy screws up, whole song doesnt stop) and do their own mixing and mastering. And frankly, guys at GH developers are a lot more professional than Rick Rubins.
smily_headphones1.gif
And you should hear some of the remasters based on GH rips, like Moderus one. Sounds a lot like retail DM so it is loud in modern metal-cd way, but without distortion and clipping.

Sep 1, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #75 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its not that they put out a better version for GH, but guys at GH developement get their hands on original master tapes of each instruments (or copies. thats how they can make each instruments individual sounds so when one guy screws up, whole song doesnt stop) and do their own mixing and mastering. And frankly, guys at GH developers are a lot more professional than Rick Rubins.
smily_headphones1.gif
And you should hear some of the remasters based on GH rips, like Moderus one. Sounds a lot like retail DM so it is loud in modern metal-cd way, but without distortion and clipping.

im listening...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back