What laptop has a good headphone output?
Jan 30, 2008 at 7:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

audioqueso

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to buy a new laptop for myself, and would like some feedback on the headphone outputs from some of these new laptops. The specs of the laptop don't really need to be discuss. Just the output from the headphone jack. I have a pair of Sennheiser PX100s that I use on the go, and a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-A500 that I use at home. I don't need an amp, but would just like clean sound.

I have an HP from my company (2005 model), and I bought my wife a new Pavilion this fall (2007 model), but both have a lot of noise on the headphone jack. My old Dell Inspiron 8500 (2003 I think) had a great clean output, but unfortunately that laptop died. However, the new Dells are kind of cheap (I use them at work).

So Dell and HP (at least the regular popular ones) are out of the picture. Anyone bought any other laptops lately that have a fairly good headphone output? Thanks.

Jan 30, 2008 at 7:43 AM Post #2 of 25
this probably isn't helpful nor what your want to hear but I'd think spend $1000+ on the best all-around laptop --look for a online deal and get something that has the motherboard and processor that will last. Then buy a 50-150$ dollar usb dac / external dac/amp that will vastly outshine even the best laptop headphone jack

just my 2 cents

Jan 30, 2008 at 8:27 AM Post #3 of 25
Well, I'm not really looking for the 'best' sounding laptop (headphone jack) that will rival some external soundcard or something. Just would like to hear if any new laptop has a clean output. I hate plugging my headphones to either HP laptop cause I hear so much noise and pops. The older Dell didn't do that. The newer Dells do have a lot of noise on them now.

I thought about a USB DAC, but haven't looked much into it. IF I would get one, I would want something very simple. No cords, just something like a flash drive size, plug it in and work, unplug it and it goes back to the internal laptop soundcard.

Jan 30, 2008 at 9:47 AM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by audioqueso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I'm not really looking for the 'best' sounding laptop (headphone jack) that will rival some external soundcard or something. Just would like to hear if any new laptop has a clean output. I hate plugging my headphones to either HP laptop cause I hear so much noise and pops. The older Dell didn't do that. The newer Dells do have a lot of noise on them now.

I thought about a USB DAC, but haven't looked much into it. IF I would get one, I would want something very simple. No cords, just something like a flash drive size, plug it in and work, unplug it and it goes back to the internal laptop soundcard.

you have lots of options here

Jan 30, 2008 at 10:50 AM Post #8 of 25
yeah thats the card. i think there is an X-FI version out too, but i believe they are the only ones to offer a PCMCIA sound card.
Edit : the Xfi version is a pci-express one for laptops (not sure what that slot is actually called)
Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio Notebook - Your music and movies. Way better.

Acer don't make the same laptop twice. Since they take standart laptop designs and make them real cheap, they might have some good headphones jacks on some models and really bad ones on others. Its impossible to know. You'll notice for example that acer laptops look exactly the same as many other cheap brands. Because they share designs.

But for some reason, acer have managed to gain a semi-"reputable brand" image by producing cheap laptops at cheap prices. But there are loads of vendors that make exactly the same laptops.

Jan 30, 2008 at 1:00 PM Post #9 of 25
honestly, if you are looking for a new laptop the quality of the headphone out should be at the bottom of your list of priorities. get a laptop that meets your computing needs, then work on a solution to get better sound out of it. there are many inexpensive options that will produce better results than the best laptop headphone jack on the market.

having said that, my older Powerbook G4 has none of the noise issues you refer to, and sounds noticeably better to my ears than my iPod headphone out.

Jan 30, 2008 at 1:46 PM Post #10 of 25
I found the sound from my Thinkpads (T42 and T60) to be fairly good.

As for portable USB dac's I can recommend the Pico, it is small with *very* good sound.

Jan 30, 2008 at 10:16 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhaedrusX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
honestly, if you are looking for a new laptop the quality of the headphone out should be at the bottom of your list of priorities.

PhaedrusX, like I mentioned before, I'm not really looking for the 'best' sounding laptop (headphone jack) that will rival some external soundcard or something. Just would like to hear if any new laptop has a clean output. The specs of the laptop do not need to be discuss. Just trying to get some feedback on some of the notebooks out there and their headphone out quality.

Thanks Soundgoon. I'll have to take a look at Acer. They have Acer here (Japan), but slightly different models. I haven't been able to find a IBMs here, but I'll keep looking.

Shiesty, I'm looking for feedback on notebooks, so yes, your feedback does help. I can't say I'll ever buy an iBook (can't stand working on them), but thank you for your feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back