What kind of Ultrasonic Frequencies are in HD Tracks?
Aug 9, 2018 at 3:31 AM Post #106 of 154
If you work with WAV files then you could use this easy method to bring HF content down to human hearable range :

There is a problem with that method. As well as halving / quartering the frequencies, it halves / quarters the tempo - the music plays ssslllooowwwlllyyy. It makes it hard to relate any sounds heard to the beat of the original music. There are plugins that can reduce the pitch without changing the tempo, but they don't work too well for major pitch shifts such as halving / quartering.

Aug 9, 2018 at 7:11 AM Post #107 of 154
Maybe I'm the only one who is interested in practical reality. Everyone else seems content to remain entirely in theory. They may be right, but I'd still like to hear it for myself.
You're not the only one who is interested in practical reality. Having theories and practical reality in balance is the thing. People lacking interest in practical reality want "ultrasonic excitement" and sellers of hi-res audio try to offer them that and milk them that way. It's about the hope of something better. Music reproduction can be improved, but not by increasing dynamic range beyond 16 bits or increasing sampling frequency beyond 44100 / 48000 Hz. The highest sampling frequency in audio that makes sense is about 60 kHz, because it makes anti-aliasing filtering much easier than with 44.1 kHz, but beyond that there simply are no benefits. Only larger file sizes etc.

I guess ultrasonic content could be recorded well, but almost never attention is given to that frequency range and for a good reason. The result is hi-res files with hardly any music-related content above 20 kHz, but tons of "ultraviolet noise."

Aug 9, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #108 of 154
I don't care if there are pitch shifting artifacts. I'm not going to listen to music this way. I just want to get some idea what this content actually sounds like. Is it hiss? Is it sizzle? Is it harmonic ringing like a bell? Is it horrible crackling? Is it the voice of the angels singing? Is there a lot of sound or is it quiet as a stone up there? I don't know. All I want is for someone to share a track with me that has significant ultrasonic content... the sort of track that an audiophile would prefer to have the 24/96 instead of just a 16/44.1. I don't have any files like that because I know I can't hear above 18kHz or so. I want to hear what the audiophiles are jumping through hoops and spending extra money to hear.

I don't need explanations that it doesn't matter. I *know* I can't hear it. I want to jury rig it so I *can* hear it and get an idea of what it is we're talking about. For a sound science group there's a surprising resistance to someone wanting to do an experiment. Isn't that what we're here for? Or is our sole purpose to fill posts with blizzards of words. Let's get some sound going here.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #109 of 154
Is it hiss? Is it sizzle? Is it harmonic ringing like a bell? Is it horrible crackling? Is it the voice of the angels singing?

My guess: It's a combination of all of these except the voice of the angels singing. :innocent:

Aug 9, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #110 of 154
It’ll be interesting to find out!

Aug 9, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #111 of 154
It’ll be interesting to find out!

How about using an actual microphone ( Panasonic WM-61 series capsules cost approx $10 each - also used as burglar alarms, as they capture the sound of glass brewaking easily - and that IS way above 20 kHz, which is the official spec for the mike ), the simplest of power supply for it, at least a 96/24 soundcard - and see for yourself ? A bunch of keys is onipresent "instrument", you have probably heard of egg frying in a pan, etc - common, everyday household sounds.

If your smartphone is of newer type, all of the above ( or "equivalent" ) is likely built in - and some phones even offer 192/24 recording.

You don't need a Stradivari or Guarnieri to record/measure > 20 kHz content, either. Any cheap violin will do. For staretrs, you don't need a mic with frequency response and sensitive enough to tell a Stradivari from Garnieri played with the same bow by the same fella - from glancing at the screen a full room distance away.

Aug 9, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #112 of 154
@bigshot
Another way to get your idea is to pitch down the content above 12kHz or 14kHz of any 16bit/44.1kHz file. The resultant melody will not change vs ultrasonic.
Don't think it is like Eric Serra soundtrack of The Big Blue (Luc Besson/French Version) or you will not come back from your diving experience.(wink)

Aug 9, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #113 of 154
I would imagine there would be a lot more at 15 kHz or so than at 35kHz

Aug 10, 2018 at 5:06 AM Post #115 of 154
[1] I don't care if there are pitch shifting artifacts. I'm not going to listen to music this way. I just want to get some idea what this content actually sounds like. Is it hiss? Is it sizzle? Is it harmonic ringing like a bell? Is it horrible crackling?
[2] For a sound science group there's a surprising resistance to someone wanting to do an experiment. Isn't that what we're here for?.

1. That's a contradiction! How can you get some idea of "what this content actually sounds like" if that content is heavily contaminated by pitch shifting artefacts? If you hear say "ringing like a bell" with some "horrible crackling" how do you know if that "crackling" is actual content or just a pitch-shifting artefact? Or for that matter, maybe the actual sound is nothing at all like a ringing bell but the pitch-shifting has distorted it and made it sound like a bell? You seem to think that with pitch-shifting you'll clearly hear your original signal plus a bit of hiss, crackling or distortion but that's likely what you'd hear if you pitch-shifted by say a 5th or so. Pitch-shift by two or three octaves and the original signal can be virtually unrecognisable!

2. No, that is absolutely NOT what we are here for! "What we're here for" is to advocate the actual science/facts and experiments which provide reliable results/evidence. Most of us here, INCLUDING YOU, spend a considerable amount of time arguing against experiments which can provide unreliable and misleading results! What's the difference between you saying you don't care about pitch-shifting artefacts and an audiophile saying they don't care about biases when doing a sighted A/B experiment??

Generally, HF energy is falling ( very approximately, general trend ) at about 6dB/octave - but , although rare, there can be exceptions in > 20 kHz range.

Just in case anyone is not aware, this statement by analogsurvivor is nonsense. Even if we ignore the other relevant variables, then most instruments' high and ultrasonic frequency production rolls-off far more than 6dB/octave. For example, >20kHz harmonic content accounts for about 0.4% of the total energy produced by say a violin and most instruments are broadly similar. A few metallic instruments produce considerably more ultrasonic content but that's mostly in the form of near-random noise (cymbals for example) and even if it is clear harmonic content (glocks, gamelan, etc) then we've still got to consider those other relevant variables. Ultrasonic content arriving at an audience seating position is going to be massively absorbed by just about everything, even the air itself. For example, let's take a glockenspiel in an orchestra playing a high note with a fundamental frequency of 2.5kHz. The harmonic at 40kHz will, according to analogsurvivor, be 24dB lower (6dB/octave x 4 octaves) but at the likely listener's position, it's actually going to be reduced by about 40dB just from air absorption alone. Factor in absorption caused by other materials, the fact that the 40kHz harmonic is going to be somewhat lower than the fundamental to start with and our 40kHz harmonic is going to be down in level by at least 60dB and probably more like 100dB, well below the noise floor.

G

Aug 10, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #116 of 154
For better understanding of instruments harmonic power distribution one may read:
Fixed Average Spectra of Orchestral Instrument Tones
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/887c/aac7b5eb734341e3f46bee63d0e6f1531b24.pdf
or only have a look at the charts:

upload_2018-8-10_15-10-47.png

Dealing with atmospheric sound absorption only:

upload_2018-8-10_15-29-40.png

The 6 dB are per length doubling (and not per frequency octave);

upload_2018-8-10_15-14-45.png

Hope it helps those lost with numbers.
Fell free correcting.

Aug 11, 2018 at 4:29 PM Post #117 of 154
Arpiben has kindly provided us with our first example...

Here is a 24/96 WAV file of the track itself
http://www.vintageip.com/ultrasonics/sr004-01-2496.wav

Here is a FLAC file of the high passed >20kHz without any processing or gain
http://www.vintageip.com/ultrasonics/sr4_BP_NoFT_NoG.flac

Here is a FLAC file of the >20kHz sound pitched down into the audible range without gain
http://www.vintageip.com/sr4_BP_FT_NoG.flac

Here is a FLAC file of the >20kHz sound pitched down into the audible range raised (+25dB?) in level so it's audible.
http://www.vintageip.com/ultrasonics/ultrasonics/sr4_BP_FT_G25.flac

There's clearly artifacting going on, but you get the gist of what the sound consists of. Assuming you could actually perceive the super audible frequencies, I don't see how you could possibly hear them at such a low level under such loud percussion hits in the audible range. I'm guessing that weird squeaky stuff is artifacting. It sounds as if all of the super audible frequencies are bunched up just above 20kHz. It doesn't appear to go on very far.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2018 at 8:10 AM Post #119 of 154
File source:
https://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_153407298573213&key=1e99669452acedd7650a94861c9354cb&libId=jkqre91k0101zlp1000DAe90r8q83&loc=https://www.head-fi.org/conversations/ultrasonics.2718762/#message-6263296&v=1&out=https://archive.org/search.php?query=%28format%3A%2824Bit%20FLAC%29%20OR%20%28flac24%29%20OR%20%2824-bit%29%20OR%2024bit%29%20AND%20collection%3Aetree&ref=https://www.head-fi.org/threads/what-kind-of-ultrasonic-frequencies-are-in-hd-tracks.885484/page-8&title=Ultrasonics | Headphone Reviews and Discussion - Head-Fi.org&txt=https://archive.org/search.php?quer...4) OR (24-bit) OR 24bit) AND collection:etree

Software used:
Musicscope & Audacity 24 bit/96 kSps for recording PC Realtek HD Optical Loopback 24bit/96kSps

Labeling:
  • BP bandpassed (18kHz-38kHz)
  • NoFT No Frequency Translation
  • FT with Frequency Translation -> (0 Hz - 20 kHz)
  • NoG No Gain applied
  • G25 Gain applied with roughly (not accurate) 25 dB
Purpose:
Feeding Bigshot with `audible` material taking into account warnings.
Waveforms/ Spectrum/ Spectrogram / Scalogram...do provide much better information but not easy to handle

Warnings:
Digital Filtering & Digital Frequency translation do generate artefacts!

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #120 of 154
Cybele Records offers few samples to download. They write:

OUR RECORDING EQUIPMENT

For our recordings in DSD 2.8224MHz 1 bit , we use the following equipment:
- Merging HORUS DSD workstation (40 channel DSD 1bit 2.8224MHz with premium DSD cards)
- Pyramix Virtual Studio Digital Audio Workstation ( DSD 1 bit support)
- EmmLabs MEITNERDesign AD-DA converter ( DSD 1bit 2.8224MHz - ADC8 and DAC8 )
- Korg MR-1000 DSD recorder ( DSD 2.8224MHz 1 bit stereo)

Link to free samples:
All recordings with a DSD logo are native DSD recordings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back