What kind of things determine Sound Quality,Soundstage,Bass,Treble..etc... In a headphone?
Jun 5, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #2 of 9
The design.

I know that might seem extremely vague, but sound quality is determined by the sum of a headphone's parts.

If you want to know some interesting ways to influence the way headphones or audio equipment sound, you could try out modding. T50RPs are a great example of a headphone that sees big differences in sound from modding.

Jun 8, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #5 of 9
Heres a few off the top of my head:
-driver sonic characteristics
-earcup acoustics
-earpad characteristics
-cable characteristics
-positioning when worn

Jun 8, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #6 of 9
Heres a few off the top of my head:
-driver sonic characteristics
-earcup acoustics
-earpad characteristics
-cable characteristics
-positioning when worn

All of this is true.

The size of the driver can influence soundstaging, the earcup materials can change the way something sounds (aluminum seems to reduce the grain heard in treble), earpads can lower isolation slightly and alter the frequencies heard clearly, the cable materials can sometimes change the way something sounds (usually not for the better; cables are a good snake oil most of the time), and the worn position is a given.

Really though, if you've ever noticed manufacturers using buzzwords to market their headphones, that's usually because it's part of what influences the design. NAD does it with "RoomFeel" and Ultrasone (ugh) does it with "S-Logic."

Jun 9, 2014 at 2:17 AM Post #9 of 9
I would have figured since Bose uses their "Acoustic technology" to sell their headphones when really they're completley overpriced crap. But anyways. Since open back cans are known for having usually large soundstages,what does being open really have to do with anything? It's probably obvious but I don't get it..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back