What kind of system do you have....
Jun 27, 2004 at 3:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

slick

100+ Head-Fier
in your car?
I love car audio, and its the reason why i keep going after good sounding audio.
just wondering what the freaks on this board have
smily_headphones1.gif
you guys are hardcore with the cans and tube amps and such, i'm just anxious to see what you may have in your vehicle.

i have:
Clarion DRZ-9255 (on order, hopefully gets here this week)
Diamond Audio HEX S600s components up front
Diamond Audio D7152 amplifier (for the HEX's)
Diamond Audio TDX 12" sub (1.5cubic foot sealed enclosure)
Diamond Audio D7401 amplifier (for the TDX)
Audiocontrol DQT 31 band 1/3 octave Digital EQ with optional DDC controller
175amp alternator
bunch of dynamat

gonna be doing an averhaul of the system in the upcoming months, hopefully i have a working system soon.

Jun 27, 2004 at 4:17 AM Post #2 of 15
Nice, a fellow car audio enthusiast
biggrin.gif

My 3 year old car system for my pick-up truck consists of:

Source - Pioneer DEH-P760MP
Fronts - Polk Audio MM6 Momo Series
Subwoofer - 2 Kicker S8L7 Solobaric Subwoofers (.6 cubic sealed enclosure each)
Crossover - Audiocontrol HPX
Equalizer - Audiocontrol EQT
Amps for subs - Rockford Fosgate Punch 800.4
Amps for fronts - Rockford Fosgate Power 451s
Capacitor - 2 1-farad capacitors (1 for front and 1 for subs)
Dynamats all around.

Jun 27, 2004 at 4:25 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by tortie
Nice, a fellow car audio enthusiast
biggrin.gif

My 3 year old car system for my pick-up truck consists of:

Source - Pioneer DEH-P760MP
Fronts - Polk Audio MM6 Momo Series
Subwoofer - 2 Kicker S8L7 Solobaric Subwoofers (.6 cubic sealed enclosure each)
Crossover - Audiocontrol HPX
Equalizer - Audiocontrol EQT
Amps for subs - Rockford Fosgate Punch 800.4
Amps for fronts - Rockford Fosgate Power 451s
Capacitor - 2 1-farad capacitors (1 for front and 1 for subs)
Dynamats all around.

nice, got a question, what do you think about your caps? i've heard so many mixed opinions on them, some say they work, others say they're junk. just wondering what you think of them.

Jun 27, 2004 at 6:05 AM Post #4 of 15
Hmm. I've always felt that you reach the point of diminishing returns with car audio really quickly because a car is such a crappy environment to start with: bad shape, road/engine noise, bad speaker mounting options (show me a home speaker where the driver is screwed into a goofy-shaped piece of sheet metal), etc. Plus there's the theft issue, which really makes me leary of fancy HUs.

That said, I also think it's impossible to like most stock car speakers (at least those in cars I can afford). CRAPTACULAR cardboard nasties with whizzer tweeters, OMG how awful. So, gotta replace them with something.

My setup is the stock HU -> line out converters -> JBL P80.4 amp (mounted under the passenger seat) -> JBL GTO speakers. 6.5 components up front with 1" tweeters mounted in the sailplanes, 6.5s in the rear doors. From the outside it is impossible to tell that it isn't stock. Nothing on the rear deck or in the trunk because it's a hatch (and I actually use it as one) so no mucking up the trunk. No sub, I know, but 6.5s can go at least reasonably low for most music. (I do sometimes wish for a sub.)

Next car (~2 years away) will probably be an RX-8 and so will have a rear deck but a tiny trunk. I'll go with whatever HU best integrates with my iPod, probably another 4-channel amp and MB Quart speakers, and something like a Basslink in the trunk (since there ain't much space to sacrifice and I need a little trunk space).

Jun 27, 2004 at 2:25 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by SunByrne
Hmm. I've always felt that you reach the point of diminishing returns with car audio really quickly because a car is such a crappy environment to start with: bad shape, road/engine noise, bad speaker mounting options (show me a home speaker where the driver is screwed into a goofy-shaped piece of sheet metal), etc. Plus there's the theft issue, which really makes me leary of fancy HUs.

That said, I also think it's impossible to like most stock car speakers (at least those in cars I can afford). CRAPTACULAR cardboard nasties with whizzer tweeters, OMG how awful. So, gotta replace them with something.

My setup is the stock HU -> line out converters -> JBL P80.4 amp (mounted under the passenger seat) -> JBL GTO speakers. 6.5 components up front with 1" tweeters mounted in the sailplanes, 6.5s in the rear doors. From the outside it is impossible to tell that it isn't stock. Nothing on the rear deck or in the trunk because it's a hatch (and I actually use it as one) so no mucking up the trunk. No sub, I know, but 6.5s can go at least reasonably low for most music. (I do sometimes wish for a sub.)

Next car (~2 years away) will probably be an RX-8 and so will have a rear deck but a tiny trunk. I'll go with whatever HU best integrates with my iPod, probably another 4-channel amp and MB Quart speakers, and something like a Basslink in the trunk (since there ain't much space to sacrifice and I need a little trunk space).

agreed with the environment issue, its hard to make anything sound good in a car, but its not impossible, it just takes longer than it would with a home setup.
i hear that alpine is going to make decks ipod compatible, using ai-net. so you can control ipod functions using the deck, sounds cool to me.

Jun 27, 2004 at 3:43 PM Post #6 of 15
Well first off no car for me; I drive a Dodge Ram 2500 diesel. Good audio is lost I think no matter what I do. I have the upgraded surround speakers and CD player which are not too bad. The best addition that I have made is that I installed XM radio. I wired it so that it plays through the radio. This simple addition has been the best upgrade I have ever made in a vehicle.

Jun 27, 2004 at 6:10 PM Post #7 of 15
I've got absolutely nothing in my car. Theft issue is ubiquitous in São Paulo, Brazil.

Cheers,
Alex
580smile.gif

Jun 27, 2004 at 7:20 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by slick
agreed with the environment issue, its hard to make anything sound good in a car, but its not impossible, it just takes longer than it would with a home setup.

I agree that it's possible to make a car system sound good, but I find that a small investment gets most of what you'll get if you spend more, unless you spend a LOT more--which just invites theft.

Quote:

i hear that alpine is going to make decks ipod compatible, using ai-net. so you can control ipod functions using the deck, sounds cool to me.

Yeah, I saw that. I figure others will follow suit, so when it's new car time in a couple years I hope to have multple options, not just Alpine. Not that there's anything wrong with Alpine, I just find a little competition often improves the marketplace. What I'd really like is a stock system (like the new BMW deal) that handled it.

Jun 27, 2004 at 7:40 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by SunByrne
I agree that it's possible to make a car system sound good, but I find that a small investment gets most of what you'll get if you spend more, unless you spend a LOT more--which just invites theft.

Yeah, I saw that. I figure others will follow suit, so when it's new car time in a couple years I hope to have multple options, not just Alpine. Not that there's anything wrong with Alpine, I just find a little competition often improves the marketplace. What I'd really like is a stock system (like the new BMW deal) that handled it.

The factory integrated Ipod support is cool, I wish to see more of this in the future. I hope they make something similar for other portables to, like my Karma.
you only invite theft if you attract it. I never play my music loud when pulling up to a parking lot (like at the movie theater). I have no stickers indicating a stereo is installed in the car, and my windows are tinted pretty dark, so its hard to see inside. How can someone know whats in your car if they haven't seen or heard it, right? If someone breaks into my car, they break in. I'm going to make it tough for them to steal stuff though. I'm not going to let paranoia ruin my life.

Jun 27, 2004 at 9:36 PM Post #11 of 15
I'm itching to put together another system.

I loved the sound of my old Infinity Perfect Kappa 12, so I'll get another one of those 12 inch woofers. I also would like to replace my stock Clarion speakers with the 3-way Infinity 63.5i. I am fond of retaining a stock look, so I'll forgo those stupid headunits and just buy a beefier 5 way amp for the 4 speakers and the sub.
biggrin.gif

Jun 27, 2004 at 10:16 PM Post #12 of 15
I had Infinity Betas separates with comp x-over powered by PPI and Fosgate amp with a complete Alpine HU and cd changer until someone busted my window and cleaned everything out, right down to the cabling. Oh, they also tore up my console to get to the changer and cut up my seats for fun.

My next car, I'll be rolling stock with an XM unit.

Jun 28, 2004 at 2:58 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by slick
nice, got a question, what do you think about your caps? i've heard so many mixed opinions on them, some say they work, others say they're junk. just wondering what you think of them.

Yes it really does work for me and I consider caps in car audio a must.

An amplifier's power will really take a nose dive if it doesnt have the voltage it needs at that moment, and sometimes the car's batteries can't give that power instantly. Especially if the music being played is loud and has successive strong bass notes. The first strong note will be fine without the caps but the next one doesnt have the same punch while the battery is recovering. Although im not sure if this applies to you with that gigantic alternator of yours
tongue.gif

There are lots of great articles about stiffening caps and car audio in general in www.autosound2000.com.

BTW how do you find the your Diamond amps and speakers? How does it sound compared to the other amps and speakers that you have tried? Im curious since I have never had the chance to hear them.

Jun 28, 2004 at 4:15 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by tortie
Yes it really does work for me and I consider caps in car audio a must.

An amplifier's power will really take a nose dive if it doesnt have the voltage it needs at that moment, and sometimes the car's batteries can't give that power instantly. Especially if the music being played is loud and has successive strong bass notes. The first strong note will be fine without the caps but the next one doesnt have the same punch while the battery is recovering. Although im not sure if this applies to you with that gigantic alternator of yours
tongue.gif

There are lots of great articles about stiffening caps and car audio in general in www.autosound2000.com.

BTW how do you find the your Diamond amps and speakers? How does it sound compared to the other amps and speakers that you have tried? Im curious since I have never had the chance to hear them.

i'm considering a cap, but i bought a high output alternator hoping that it takes care of my electrical needs (stock alt is only 70amps MAX).

I really like the D7 series amps, i used to have the D5 series and i say they are equal to JL slash series amp in quality, but i immediately noticed a difference in sound when i got the D7's (on the HEX's). some say that amps make no difference in sound, but to me, they do. i say that diamond audio makes some quality amps, but i'm a little weary of the D3 amps (they are cheaply built to try and satisfy the buyers in the entry level market, they make great power, but the overall quality lacks - glued on plastic pieces fall off, cheesy ring terminal connectors).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back