What kind of sound signature should I prefer, according to my music taste?
Aug 25, 2019 at 8:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

xenoVa

500+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone

I am relatively new to the audio world. I know my music taste, but I don't exactly know that what kind of headphones with certain sound signature terms fit my taste (v-shaped, forward upper mids, sub bass etc.) I will descripe you what kind of music I like I'll be happy if you tell me which sound signature I should prefer on audio gears.

I mainly listen to metal, classical and opera (I hate mainsteam genres like rap and hip-hop). I love listening to instrumental tracks with choir and vocals (not lyrics). I love listening to exciting pieces, I especially like high-note strings and female vocals. I also like trailer scores like Hans Zimmer with epic feelings. My listening experience is certainly not "close eyes and enjoy slow music" I love energic music with hype and epicness.

I think you got my taste. What should I be looking for? According to my knowledge so far, I am certainly not a bass head shouldn't get bass-centric audio gears.

Thank you for your help :)

Aug 25, 2019 at 11:24 PM Post #2 of 9
That's really hard to dissect. Sounds like you want a fairly balanced sound with exceptional clarity. No recessed mids, great instrument separation. No coloration, but very engaging with emotion. What is your budget, and what style of headphone do you desire. Keep in mind that your music source material are also quite important.

Aug 25, 2019 at 11:40 PM Post #3 of 9
Hello everyone
I am relatively new to the audio world. I know my music taste, but I don't exactly know that what kind of headphones with certain sound signature terms fit my taste (v-shaped, forward upper mids, sub bass etc.) I will describe you what kind of music I like I'll be happy if you tell me which sound signature I should prefer on audio gears.
I mainly listen to metal, classical and opera (I hate mainsteam genres like rap and hip-hop). I love listening to instrumental tracks with choir and vocals (not lyrics). I love listening to exciting pieces, I especially like high-note strings and female vocals. I also like trailer scores like Hans Zimmer with epic feelings. My listening experience is certainly not "close eyes and enjoy slow music" I love energetic music with hype and epicness.
I think you got my taste. What should I be looking for? According to my knowledge so far, I am certainly not a bass head shouldn't get bass-centric audio gears.

It might help to know what sources or DAC/amps your plugging the headphones into?
Budget?
Check out the Massdrop/Sennheiser HD58X headphones.

Aug 26, 2019 at 5:14 AM Post #4 of 9
I'd say mid-centric with exceptional treble for the vocal extension and the high note strings. Sounstage won't hurt either for the classical but more depth as opposed to width.

What are you looking for? Headphones or IEMs?

Aug 26, 2019 at 6:16 AM Post #5 of 9
Hello everyone

I am relatively new to the audio world. I know my music taste, but I don't exactly know that what kind of headphones with certain sound signature terms fit my taste (v-shaped, forward upper mids, sub bass etc.) I will descripe you what kind of music I like I'll be happy if you tell me which sound signature I should prefer on audio gears.

I mainly listen to metal, classical and opera (I hate mainsteam genres like rap and hip-hop). I love listening to instrumental tracks with choir and vocals (not lyrics). I love listening to exciting pieces, I especially like high-note strings and female vocals. I also like trailer scores like Hans Zimmer with epic feelings. My listening experience is certainly not "close eyes and enjoy slow music" I love energic music with hype and epicness.

With what you've described, I think you'd enjoy the Sennheiser HD800.

Aug 26, 2019 at 8:16 AM Post #7 of 9
Many good choices really, almost too many, but:
Open back - HD800S
Closed back - Pioneer SE Monitor 5

I suggest these based on having owned both (currently still own the Pioneer) and feel that both headphones can be equalized nicely if one so desires. The Pioneer is the sleeper here, I won't part with mine ever. It is a closed back design so it will exhibit inherent characteristics good and bad (all designs have compromises) but the signature is an overall very well done, moving toward neutral signature that has a nicely integrated lower frequency profile which most certainly is not bass head geared.

The other thing about the Pioneer is the absolutely amazing build quality, I feel anyway, and comfort which is crucial. You also get some sound leakage attenuation which may be useful when listening with others around, but yes, you lose a little soundstage, but frankly I don't think it is at all significant. The Pioneer has great separation and layering which is important, not quite up to the standards of say the Edition X V2, but given the other design advantages that the Pioneer brings, may be worth considering.

I imagine you could get a SE Monitor 5 through Amazon and return it if it doesn't work for you, but I would strongly encourage you to try it if you are so inclined. As I said, there are many wonderful headphones that could work very well for you so good luck finding your sound and please update the thread with your decision and impressions.

Aug 26, 2019 at 10:57 AM Post #8 of 9

7074632_thumb.jpg

Aug 30, 2019 at 5:09 PM Post #9 of 9
The pioneer SE-Monitor 5 is the sleeper, indeed.
Highly recommend.
Was able to auditioned them at a local dealer against Denon D7200 und Pioneer SE-Master 1.
The Monitor 5 got the best shape in all conditions.
It's worth a look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back