What kind of sound is this
Jul 21, 2015 at 10:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

silvercats

100+ Head-Fier
I find both of my Vsonic VSD3 and VSD5's sound too harsh. It like the vocals are trying to stab me or too sharp. It is just painful. If I increase the sound, it becomes worse.

VSD3 was so harsh(sharp), I hated listening to them. Then the VSD5 is bearable.

What kind of a sound signature do they have?

what should I buy next, that is the opposite of VSDs?

Thanks.

Jul 21, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #2 of 21
Sounds like they are "bright" meaning they have too much treble which can irritate the listener.  It could also be that they are too "up-front" sounding meaning the midrange like vocals are presented too close to your ear instead of slightly away as if you were 20 rows back in a theater instead of right next to the band.

Try using some sort of EQ and tune down the 2kHz and 6kHz bands or as close as you can get to those frequencies.  See if that helps.  If it does then it is probably a brightness issue and you want your next IEM to have less energy and emphasis in the treble.

Jul 21, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #3 of 21
  Sounds like they are "bright" meaning they have too much treble which can irritate the listener.  It could also be that they are too "up-front" sounding meaning the midrange like vocals are presented too close to your ear instead of slightly away as if you were 20 rows back in a theater instead of right next to the band.

Try using some sort of EQ and tune down the 2kHz and 6kHz bands or as close as you can get to those frequencies.  See if that helps.  If it does then it is probably a brightness issue and you want your next IEM to have less energy and emphasis in the treble.

Yes, you've hit the nail on the head there. The VSD series has some peaks in the treble that can be piercing at higher volumes. If you like bright and detailed highs, they're quite nice at their price, but for the treble sensitive, they can be too much. 

@silvercats, I'd recommend you something like the IM70 from Audio Technica. I think you'd find them a lot more tolerable while still having very nice sound quality.

Jul 21, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #6 of 21
I heard that that IM70s are excellent but could be a little uncomfortable for the people with smaller ears. I have smaller ear and comfort is always an issue. Also I am a bass head

Jul 21, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #7 of 21
  I heard that that IM70s are excellent but could be a little uncomfortable for the people with smaller ears. I have smaller ear and comfort is always an issue. Also I am a bass head

IM70's won't leave you wanting bass. They're far bassier than the VSD3. It's true that comfort could be an issue, but there isn't really anything better as far as a bassier headphone with relaxed treble under $100 that I know of. You could always try them and send them back if they aren't to your liking.

Jul 22, 2015 at 2:55 AM Post #9 of 21
  I find both of my Vsonic VSD3 and VSD5's sound too harsh. It like the vocals are trying to stab me or too sharp. It is just painful. If I increase the sound, it becomes worse.

VSD3 was so harsh(sharp), I hated listening to them. Then the VSD5 is bearable.

The exact term for that is sibilance. At the same time sensitivity to high frequencies can vary from person to person in  terms of what frequency and how loud, called hyperacusis.

Jul 22, 2015 at 7:29 AM Post #11 of 21
some of the reviews mentioned the housing if the IM70s can be a little too big hence uncomfortable. I already find my VSD5 too big and uncomfortable. Can the IM70 cause comfortable issues becasue of this?

I don't mind losing some sound quality for more comfort. Comfort is the second reason I am moving to a new IEM

Jul 22, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #12 of 21
  some of the reviews mentioned the housing if the IM70s can be a little too big hence uncomfortable. I already find my VSD5 too big and uncomfortable. Can the IM70 cause comfortable issues becasue of this?

I don't mind losing some sound quality for more comfort. Comfort is the second reason I am moving to a new IEM

That's hard to tell, half the time it's not the size but the shape, and that depends on each person's ears (ex. in some cases the shape could put the cable at an angle that it pulls on the IEMs, or conversely, you need to tighten the cable just to keep them in place).

Jul 23, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #14 of 21
I am going to try AT IM70 or Shure SE215 . Which one should I choose If I prefer these.

Below is a prioritized list (ones on the top are more important than the bottom ones). 

1. Comfort.
2. Bass
3. Isolation.
4. Sound quality (yup this the last).

I liked my Sennheiser HD 218. The main issue was, its lack of bass. Its sound signature was good. Still it had a low sound quality.

IM70 or Shure SE215?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back