what kind of sound do grados have?
Jan 24, 2008 at 12:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

quiksliver

100+ Head-Fier
I was thinking of upgrading my current desktop heapdphones, the PX100s with some grados because I've heard some good stuff about them, namely the SR225.

so waht kind of sound do these things have? i heard it was more of an "upfront" sound but what does that mean exactly? and how would they differer from my senns?

Jan 24, 2008 at 12:14 AM Post #2 of 13
The SR225 have what is widely known as "awesome" sound.

Seriously, though.. they are very upfront cans. They make you feel as if the band is in your face. The bass is strong and the treble is nice and detailed. They are basically amazing for rock especially, and I have yet to find another headphone that makes Pink Floyd sound as good.

Grados in general are the opposite from Sennheiser cans.. Senns are known for being very laid back with huge soundstage while Grados are known for being very aggressive with not much soundstage.

If you're looking for something to mix well with rock, you can't go wrong with the SR225.

Jan 24, 2008 at 12:16 AM Post #3 of 13
brigsht302.jpg

Jan 24, 2008 at 1:05 AM Post #5 of 13
I'm just a beginner, but for those who have never heard Grados and those who are not yet tuned into the really high end my characterization would be (especially after looking at them)

"Surprising." For most of what I listen to, "A grin that must be related to sin somehow." If I believed in sin, anyway. "Rockin' clear."

That's with SR 60s. I'm not even sure I want to get into the higher ones. Heard the RS-2s and I'm trying to forget how much I liked them (also heard RS-1s but preferred the 2s).

Mooch

Jan 24, 2008 at 1:15 AM Post #6 of 13
okay that is good because about 80% of my music would be considered rock, or some variant of...

maybe I'm getting bogged down in the terminology, but what do you guys mean when you say "Agressive" ? as in it sounds louder or something?

Jan 24, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #7 of 13
I think it's sort of like sitting on the floor amidst the band vs. sitting in the back of the theater/stadium.

Mooch

Jan 24, 2008 at 4:18 AM Post #11 of 13
I demoed the 325i's a couple days ago (and will be receiving one Friday/Saturday) and the first thing I noticed was the above: I was SUPER involved in the music. I wanted to move. Most of the time I sit back and say "oh yeah, he's playing that guitar smooth". When I put on the Grados, I was having my own private concert and wanting to dance. I'm a practicing stoic, so this is an exceedingly rare event for me. I can't wait.

However, they didn't sound "realistic", which is what I've been looking for, but I just didn't care with the Grado 325i's I listened to. We'll see when I listen to them for hours...

Jan 24, 2008 at 7:40 AM Post #12 of 13
Sennheisers are laid back, slightly dark sounding,big sounding, more fuller sound, more bottom end. Sounds very close to a loudspeaker.

Grado are more upfront, more exciting sound, more detailed, more airy, mids are fleshed out, bottom a bit lighter compared to Senn.

Two different sounds- to each his own, both are good. WOuld love to have both! win/win sitatuon!

Jan 24, 2008 at 8:07 AM Post #13 of 13
I'd say Grados are upfront, it's got sweet mids, clear highs and pretty good bass impact, though may not be as abundant as Beyers. Like Asr said, they bring out the "life" in the music. We can describe it all day long, but in the end, you really still need to hear it for yourself to see how it sounds to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back