What kind of reputation do Aiwa personal CD players have?
Mar 28, 2009 at 8:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

i_don't_know

1000+ Head-Fier
I just found an Aiwa XP-SR311 Cross Trainer lying around. It was manufactured in December 2000 and apparently had an MSRP of $140 at release. Also, if I'm reading the labeling correctly, it has a line out via the headphone jack.

It looks sort of like this, but with a more rectangular button layout instead of that circle:
url

Sorry, couldn't find a bigger (or more accurate) picture.

Anyway, is Aiwa known for making good-sounding portable CD players?

Mar 29, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #2 of 5
I just tried it. There's a very tiny bit of background hiss with my PFEs, but it's not enough to be an issue. This player sounds considerably airy (though not quite as much as my Panasonic). It's also BIG on details. The amount of details this thing reveals puts my S639F to shame. It's truly is impressive. But I guess what gets me the most is how natural and effortless good recordings sound on this Aiwa. On my Panasonic, everything sounds very digital. I'd say the Aiwa is either on par with or slightly above my S639F in terms of not sounding too digital.

Not to mention, this thing is a waterproof tank of a player.

I think if you can find one of these, it might be worth picking up. I don't know how it compares to "vintage" players, but it's one of the best sounding new-ish portable CD players I've heard.

Mar 29, 2009 at 1:58 PM Post #5 of 5
Yeah, this Aiwa reveals things I've never heard before. I think I can even hear subtle breathing through someone's nose (the kind you usually never hear).

Aiwa Cross Trainer PCDP + Phonak PFE = amazing for not having an amp.

And I'm not sure, but I really think the Line Out via the headphone out really is a true Line Out. I should save up for a Minibox-E+ so I can make sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back