What kind of music is popular with Audiophile Headphones?
Mar 18, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #31 of 55
A well written post, but high end headphones are still incredibly colored.  I agree with your last paragraph, but I would say almost all, rather than "some".  Which high end headphones don't boost the higher frequencies?  I can't think of any except the Audeze and a few Stax models, and the Audeze is in the opposite direction. 

You're right... I forget that I've listened to nothing but the O2 for the last few years - I'm starting to forget other headphones.

I think coloration exists in all headphones that I've heard thus far at least compared to high-end speakers. If you want totally flat FR you'll need flat speakers in an acoustically treated room. I don't know of another way to get it. But stuff like the O2 gets reasonably close that I can call it neutral within headphone limitations, while offering even better resolution and transients. SR-X Mk3 Pro is pretty neutral as well, though with a bit more treble emphasis than the O2.

I'm holding off on getting the 009 for as long as possible :frowning2:

Mar 18, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #32 of 55

Quote:
First--a quality recording, mix, etc. (preferably done for stereo) is required--

Beyond that the great the frequency response on the recording and the more voices (instruments, vocals, percussion, etc.)--at least to a point--the better.

Music you personally enjoy is a big, big plus.

No 78's or early Herb Alpert type stereo releases allowed.

That should be:

First - Music you personally enjoy

Beyond that the great the frequency response on the recording and the more voices (instruments, vocals, percussion, etc.)--at least to a point--the better.

a quality recording, mix, etc. (preferably done for stereo) is a big, big plus.

Mar 18, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #33 of 55

Listening to this with some stax 009, must be an otherworldly experience.
I  recommend it to any serious audiophile !

Mar 19, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #36 of 55
Listening to the HE-6 and HD800 lately, I've come to the conclusion that most recorded music is produced and mixed by tone deaf chimpanzees.

Mar 19, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #40 of 55
Or your headphones were designed by tone deaf chimpanzees.

Dunno, but that's doubtful, because every once in a while I find a track that's just amazing beyond words.

You aren't tone deaf, are you? Didn't mean to insult you and your... umm... people.

:D

Mar 19, 2012 at 7:33 AM Post #42 of 55
I thought the point of this hobby was to enjoy the music. Not to listen to as much detail as possible. Hell if a record I love is eternally doomed to bad mastering then I will enjoy them no matter what.

Mar 19, 2012 at 8:27 AM Post #43 of 55
I thought the point of this hobby was to enjoy the music. Not to listen to as much detail as possible. Hell if a record I love is eternally doomed to bad mastering then I will enjoy them no matter what.

keep it up and you'll be breaking this inevitable paradox we known as head-fi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back