What kind of music is popular with Audiophile Headphones?
Mar 17, 2012 at 4:17 AM Post #2 of 55

It's not the rule but it is certainly quite common ~ most folk on here who have lashed out on one or more
 reference headphones and who also have invested a considerable amount into a great source and
 amplifier tend to listen to some classical symphony or acoustic vocals (male/female) from reputable
 sources.

Mar 17, 2012 at 4:20 AM Post #3 of 55
Well recorded music plays best. Unfortunately, a good portion of my music isn't well recorded, but life goes on.

Mar 17, 2012 at 5:20 AM Post #4 of 55
anything really, it doesn't really matter what kind of music you listen to, a good headphone will always provide the extra you need to achieve a better sound. However, well recorded music are definitely preferred, some albums production quality is just too bad.

Mar 17, 2012 at 5:43 AM Post #6 of 55

German beer drinking classics for me ~ sometimes, I listen to something else.

Sounds even better if you dress up in Lederhosen too.

Mar 17, 2012 at 8:36 AM Post #8 of 55

Quote:
What music plays best with audiophile headphones?

All music should play well on good  headphones, but some music are more demanding than others.
Minimal music, such like the one of the radio di.fm, should play well everywhere, and even with a relatively poor bitrate.
Bassy techno, or drum & bass music, are good to test quality of bass of headphone: you look for thump, slam,
and also if the bass is detailled, or too much monotonic ...
Ambient much like Brian Eno, works well with slow headphones such like the hd595.
On the other hand , fast and detailed music , such like psytrance (infected mushrooms)
or industrial (nine inch nails, ramstein..)  works well with fast headphone (well, if you don't take in account the bass, such like srh940).
Vocals are more enticing when the mids are very forwards, and it can help to focus on lyrics: very nice with the hd25 1

Mar 17, 2012 at 8:53 AM Post #9 of 55

Quote:
What music plays best with audiophile headphones?

I find that music that is very subtle, detail oriented, and simple is the best for me. So some trio Jazz, some basic piano or cello, and orchestral classical (though this is complex). Basically click on over to HDtracks.com and look around for things that are instrumental and vocal and give it a listen. Get it in the highest recorded quality possible. I get their 24bit 96khz stuff for Jazz and it's absolutely amazing how it sounds.

Grabbing pop, dub, dance, trance, rock, indie, country, etc, just... well, just doesn't do a $3K audiophile headphone setup much worth. But that's merely my opinion

Very best,.

Mar 17, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #10 of 55
So I listen to a lot of 80s synth, new disco, french eletro, and sometimes some psychedelic with my DJ1000, but do these sound good on these because im new to the whole Head-fi and I kinda do not know what a good headphone sounds like.

Mar 17, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #12 of 55
[size=10.0pt]My short answer is: Acoustic music. Generally anything recorded with a good microphone and shows off: dynamics, scale, nuances and what I call ‘atmospherics’. [/size]

[size=10pt]These properties alone will make even a poor set of headphones sound good, because it closely mimics what the actually listener would experience and gives a sense of ‘being there’ realism.[/size]

[size=10.0pt]Of course these qualities aren’t unique to acoustic music alone. A well produced and mastered ‘pop’ album in the general ball [/size][size=10.0pt]park[/size][size=10.0pt] of [/size][size=10.0pt]Dire Strait[/size][size=10.0pt]’s ‘Brothers in Arms’ or Madonna’s ‘Ray or Light’ or ‘Music’, is a joy to experience. [/size]

Mar 18, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #13 of 55
Quote:
So I listen to a lot of 80s synth, new disco, french eletro, and sometimes some psychedelic with my DJ1000, but do these sound good on these because im new to the whole Head-fi and I kinda do not know what a good headphone sounds like.

Yep that's exactly what I listen to and I can tell you for sure that a quality headphone system makes a huge difference in those genres. I have not, however, heard the DJ1000.

Mar 18, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #14 of 55
Personally, I find that classical music is usually recorded better, I also listen to big band/swing, it is also usually recorded well.

Mar 18, 2012 at 8:08 AM Post #15 of 55
if you have a 2500 dollar Stax rig and your not listening to j-pop, j-core, or j-rock, then you guys are doing it all wrong. everyone knows all the world best speakers and headphones are design around those 3 genres.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back