What kind of mouse do you use? [I just got a new one myself]
Jul 27, 2005 at 7:43 PM Post #16 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by some1x
Logitech MX510. It was a significant upgrade over MX500, but now the MX518 is out
frown.gif

Ditto. I have the strong urge to get the MX518 but I think I'll wait another generation.

Jul 27, 2005 at 7:46 PM Post #17 of 93
I'm surprised no one is using the Razer Diamondback. If I had to have a corded mouse, that'd be the one. The Plasma edition looks great and they are supposed to be extremely precise.

I, however, am running the MX700/wireless keyboard combo. I love the ergonomics of this mouse and not having a cord tugging at you is awesome. I don't really see the big deal with the MX1000? I remember reading a review saying that it's no more accurate than the MX500/700...just that the laser enables the mouse to operate on a wider variety of surfaces than an optical sensor. The MX1000 also holds a charge longer than the MX700, but the 1000's li-ion battery is not user replaceable IIRC, so if it dies after the warranty you're stuck...I prefer being able to go to keep a couple sets of rechargeable AAs to swap back and forth.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh well, just about all of these mice are awesome but they all have their individual advantages and quirks. It's all about finding the one that works best for you!

Jul 27, 2005 at 7:46 PM Post #18 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu
Purchased it a few months before Logitech had introduced the MX1000, the MX900 has been reliable, accurate and serves my needs so far.

Great, they seem to be pretty similar, so I should be happy with mine. It is certainly an upgrade from the crappy 2 year old optical mouse I was using.

Jul 27, 2005 at 7:50 PM Post #20 of 93
MX518 here, I killed my MX510 2 weeks ago when playing BF2 drunk. I got angry and threw it against the wall
tongue.gif
Great mice...

Jul 27, 2005 at 7:51 PM Post #21 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by Imyourzero
I don't really see the big deal with the MX1000? I remember reading a review saying that it's no more accurate than the MX500/700...just that the laser enables the mouse to operate on a wider variety of surfaces than an optical sensor. The MX1000 also holds a charge longer than the MX700, but the 1000's li-ion battery is not user replaceable IIRC, so if it dies after the warranty you're stuck...I prefer being able to go to keep a couple sets of rechargeable AAs to swap back and forth.

The li-ion battery shouldnt need to be replaced ever. It is not more accurate than the MX500/700, but it has better tracking, design, ergonomics, functionality, etc. The review that I linked explains things a lot better than I can.

Like you said though, they are all great mice and if gaming performance is your primary concern, the MX518 or Diamondback are the way to go. I seriously doubt that anyone but a hardcore gamer would gain an advantage over using the MX500/700/1000 though.

Jul 27, 2005 at 8:07 PM Post #22 of 93
I used an MX700 since they first came out, and was really happy with it. However, the MX1000 came out, and it was too cool to pass up. I don't think I could go back to the 700 now.

Jul 27, 2005 at 8:21 PM Post #23 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by donovansmith
I used to use a Logitech MX700 cordless optical mouse with my desktop PC, but I don't like it much on my Mac (very weird acceleration)

you can use the program USB Overdrive to set the mousing characteristics to whatever you want. it's freeware. i use an MX700 with my Mac, and USB Overdrive has been great.

Jul 27, 2005 at 8:30 PM Post #25 of 93
I have the MX1000.

Pros:
-Very smooth and fast response.
-Mouse buttons are light and quick.
-Battery life is best of any cordless mouse I've ever seen. Easily lasts well over a week with constant use.
-Radio range is decent, works well ten feet away from transceiver.

Cons:
-Quite heavy if you aren't used to wireless mice.
-Very slight lag if you lift the mouse.
-Laser sensor overly sensitive, you need a nice flat, uniform surface.
-Pretty big mouse, more for holding in the palm of the hand, rather than with fingertips.
-Did I mention it was heavy?

Overall, it's my favorite cordless mouse, but not my favorite mouse.

I have tried out the Razor Diamondback, and if I had to choose only one mouse, I would use this one.
It is very very lightweight, fast (almost too fast), and very very accurate. It is quite a small mouse, so not all may like it's shape. But for people that like to hold their mice with their fingers will love this mouse.

BUT, when it comes to gaming, I have one mouse that is my absolute favorite.
The MonsterGecko PistolMouse FPS.

Pros:
-Smooth and fast (not as fast as Razor Diamondback)
-Trigger has excellent feel, because it's aluminum.
-Sheer fun factor of using a gun for a mouse in First Person Shooters.
-Unique twisting motion will allow much faster movement side to side, while moving it straight side to side will allow a bit slower, finer movement. Make circle strafing a breeze.
-One of the most ergonomic mice, that is actually based on anti-Repetitive Stress Injury mice (carpal tunnel syndrome).

Cons:
-Takes a bit to get used to using.
-Rather large footprint.
-Needs a performance mousepad. Works quite well on my Func 1030, but even it is almost too small.
-Really only good for First Person Shooter games. Awkward to use in day to day mousing.
-Needs more buttons (looks like they were going to, but decided not to, for some reason.)

If I were to game professionally, I probably would not use the PistolMouse FPS, but I play for fun, and the PistolMouse FPS is soooooo much fun to use.

-Ed

Jul 27, 2005 at 8:32 PM Post #26 of 93
went from MX500 -> MX510 -> MX1000, now I use Razor Diamondback Chameleon. fastest/smoothest mouse I've ever used.

Jul 27, 2005 at 8:34 PM Post #27 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2bwire
Have you formed an opinion on the MX510 versus MX518?

Yep. They are exactly the same performance wise. I noticed no difference at all between the two, but the sensitivity adjustment on the 518 does come in handy sometimes. The MX518 looks cooler though, the finish is actually holographic.

Jul 27, 2005 at 8:41 PM Post #28 of 93
Microsoft Intellimouse 3.0, The best mouse/mousepad combo ever! I've had this set for about 4 years and its still going strong. I'm not really a big fan of the logitech ones because of the weight they put on the mouse, it gives me arthritis
tongue.gif

DSC03493.jpg

Jul 27, 2005 at 8:44 PM Post #29 of 93
The MX518 doesent have the weight, and the weight in the MX510 is very easy to remove..

Jul 27, 2005 at 9:01 PM Post #30 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
ms trackball optical
trackball6mm.jpg

took a day of adjusting, but i like it more than a mouse now. no more shoulder or back problems.

I've been using this for 3 or 4 years now and I really like it. There aren't many trackballs on the market, and even fewer with the thumb configuration, but if anyone has suggestions for thumb-oriented trackballs I'd love to hear it. I'm curious as to what else is out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back