What kind of monster cans are these?!
Aug 3, 2008 at 11:14 AM Post #16 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How expensive are we talking, here? I know there's a dynamic version which is very reasonably priced.

Prices for the most common 3 models (the Model 1 dynamic, Model 2 dyanmic and PS2 Electrostatic) can be hugely variable, prices have generally gone up over the last few years. The dynamic models are inferior to the Ergo models in every way, although not massively so, so don't read into that wrongly. The PS2 electrostat is inferior to the Ergo AMT, but is much less difficult to please and doesn't have nearly a unique a (probably) polarising sound. The biggest problems that the PS2 has are those of the provision of suitable amplification and the very poor damping of the huge (16 square inches) driver.

If you're spending more than £50 on a dynamic one, unless its in excellent refurbished condition with brand new foams, I'd say you're spending too much, but thats just me. Replacement foams are available from several sources, within the UK they can be bought from Sugden Audio who are in sales partnership with Precide.

Aug 3, 2008 at 12:23 PM Post #17 of 20
the PS2 electrostat are quite rare, and usually go for $300-$550 depending on the condition.
if its worth the cost is highly subjective, but i enjoy mine as much as my stax sr-sigma.

the biggest problem is finding an amp silent enough for it, as it has a quite high signal to noise ratio (1:125 for the PS2 compared to 1:25 for the stax, according to spritzer)
to solve the issue of driver damping, i have clamped the drivers to the housing using blutak (probably not ideal, but works good enough for me)
floatsmile.png

the dynamic versions show up on ebay from time to time, and can be had for quite cheap if your lucky; i have a model one on my way (in parts) that i plan to convert into an orthodynamic.

Aug 3, 2008 at 3:10 PM Post #18 of 20
Ah so it was you that won that one that was hanging in pieces on ebay? When the bids went over £20 I left it. Never seen one in such a bad state. You'll have a tricky time getting good sound out of it as an ortho because of the infinate "cup" volume. Very difficult to get low bass anyway. Or are you plannign something mad like 9 drivers per side?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back