what kind of lossless format are you using? And why?
Nov 28, 2003 at 1:32 AM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Music Fanatic
Really? I thought the Karma was the only one.

The Karma is one. Isn't there an add-on for the iPod that lets you use FLAC too?

Nov 28, 2003 at 2:01 AM Post #18 of 25
I have an iPod and would be estatic if it played FLAC. I hadn't heard of FLAC support, but if someone's done it, please post the info here!

Nov 28, 2003 at 4:27 AM Post #19 of 25
I wonder how the iPod FLAC rumor keeps getting circulated. Seems to come up every month. It can only play WAV, AIFF, MP3, AAC, and AA (Audible).

I use FLAC at home, primarily because it's not Windows only like APE (Monkeys) and WMA Lossless. If you want to do anything with your files (like share) with a Mac or Linux machine stay away from them.

Nov 28, 2003 at 5:09 PM Post #21 of 25
I use FLAC because it's open source, and has low CPU overhead for decoding, which is good for portable use.

However, if/when I get a Karma, I'm going to use Ogg Vorbis (q6) on it, and keep the FLAC files on my HD. I can't usuallly tell the difference between the original and OV at home, let alone in a portable situation. An OV file is usually about 6MB at q6, a FLAC file, around 40MB. (for my music, anyway) Guess what I'll be using on a 20GB portable drive...

(-:Stephonovich:)

Nov 29, 2003 at 6:36 AM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by karmypolitics hmm, isn't AIFF apple's equivalent to FLAC and monkey's audio? I would really love it if creative's nomad line came out w/FLAC support (20 gb karma is too small).

AIFF is uncompressed and basically the same as WAV, not FLAC. FLAC is Mac (as well as most platforms) compatible though. I use it on my Apple OS X machine.

Nov 29, 2003 at 9:56 AM Post #24 of 25
I use Monkey's Audio, performance wise is better than any other lossless compression format. Faster, and best compression ratio out of all of them.

Monkey's Audio also has its own proprietary tagging format.. if you had lyrics for the song, you can actually embed it into Monkey's Audio's tagging format. So the lyrics stay with the song file, not in another library content file as with MP3's and most other file formats.

Bad thing, it only works on Windows.. I would love to see iPod implement some sort of lossless compression format in the future... *sigh*.

Nov 29, 2003 at 10:02 AM Post #25 of 25
Anyone get Monkey's Audio to preserve HDCD encoding?

I tried EAC-->Monkey's Audio and played it with foobar2000 and no dice.

It does not preserve HDCD encoding.
frown.gif

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back