What kind of connector / cable would I need?
Jul 4, 2010 at 1:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7


New Head-Fier
Jul 4, 2010
I want to buy this philips CD player from newegg. It comes with its own speakers that connect to the player but instead I want to connect the player to my Logitech Z5500 via a 3.5mm jack. What kind of a cable connector would I need?

I don't know what is the word that describes the CD player's output, but you can see it clearly in the third picture in this link:
Jul 4, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #2 of 7
By the looks of it, its the bog standard bare wire connectors - generally these will *not* connect to anything but speakers. In fact, i doubt you can use anything but an ipod and cds as input, and speakers as output. There's probably a better option for what you want to do - this has no line outs or headphone outs or line ins of ANY sort
Jul 4, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #3 of 7
That is a cd player/amp/speaker combo.  The main box has a 2x5w speaker level output which connect to passive speaker via speaker wire.
The best way to hook up your speakers to the cd player without modifications, is to use a 3.5mm cable to the cd-player's headphone output.  
The only other option is to hook up two of your logitech satellite speakers to the speaker outputs on the philips system using normal speaker wire (but you get only 2-channel sound with no subwoofer
You can make a simple passive circuit to change the speaker level to a line level signal, but I don't think theres much point in doing that.
Jul 6, 2010 at 1:49 PM Post #7 of 7
Thanks for the replies, guys. I think the best choice is to use a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable and the headphone out.
As for the speakers, I would have liked to use them with some other device in another room, but since they are not powered, I assume they'll need an amp, in which case I might as well just try to sell them.

Users who are viewing this thread