What is your tipping policy?
Dec 22, 2006 at 5:55 AM Post #152 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by kin0kin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they had access to elevator and a huge dolly....not even a single sweat bringing the tv up...5 bucks should be fair
tongue.gif

Man! If you're my boss, I might not get any bonus, 'cause I'd never sweat in my job.... just losing hair....
icon10.gif

Dec 22, 2006 at 5:42 PM Post #153 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you must be joking right? You think your cashier job represents every other cashier job out there? Not to belittle the work of waiters/waitresses, but you are jotting down an order on a little pad, bringing the food when ready, and coming back once or twice to check on drinks. There is a reason you are being paid minimum wage and why teenagers/students are so often hired for this job. If you can't handle serving, find it "too stressful" and complain about low tips, find a different job. You think you have it tough? How about jobs where your life is constantly at risk, where a mistake could end up in personal injury, or death of you or your coworkers, or costing the company millions of dollars in lost production? If you think a typical server has it tough, you should see some of the resturants in China town. Where the food takes on average 1/4 the time it takes vs a caucasian resturant, where everybody is used to tipping around or below 10%, and where they stay open sometimes until 3-4am with one or two waitresses holding down the entire resturaunt. The majority of western resturants I go to, it usually takes 30mins-1hr to get the food on the table, and most times the server doesn't even come back to check on drinks, and the food is cold by the time it gets to me. Not to mention the food is expensive as hell. And what about when they tack on a mandatory gratiuity when you have a large party? What kind of bs is that? You're bringing them more business, an easier table to wait, and they force you to tip?
rolleyes.gif

Excellent post.

Perhaps it's the same old 'sense of entitlement' thing going on again?
redface.gif
wink.gif

FWIW, down here in Australia, most of the wait staff get an extra bonus - subsidised, if not free, meals. IMO think that's a major bonus, but I'm not sure whether this applies in the CONUS.

Dec 22, 2006 at 5:51 PM Post #154 of 197
Free meals wear thin very, very fast - and it's not a practical bonus either. Packing a lunch is dirt cheap. Compared to deep discounts in the retail world, cash bonuses and RRSP/401K contributions, pensions and healthcare in the business world - positions that pay well and often provide commission, I may add - this "free meal" is a perk, but nothing more.

Dec 22, 2006 at 6:26 PM Post #155 of 197
My tip is always the same:

"Look both ways before crossing the street."
tongue.gif

Dec 22, 2006 at 7:05 PM Post #156 of 197
Quote:

then please explain, because I only know what i observe when being waited upon.

balancing 5-8 tables at once, cleaning bathrooms, maintaining sidestations, food prep.

some waiters don't deserve tips, they should probably find another line of work. but some waiters do, and people who don't tip good waiters are cheap bastards.

Dec 22, 2006 at 7:10 PM Post #157 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
some waiters don't deserve tips, they should probably find another line of work. but some waiters do, and people who don't tip good waiters are cheap bastards.

That's about as concise as it gets. I'm done.
wink.gif

Dec 22, 2006 at 7:41 PM Post #158 of 197
Quote:

then please explain, because I only know what i observe when being waited upon.

Why don't you try being a waiter for once?
wink.gif
Unless you tried, you won't understand.
I came from non-tipping country. I like to eat out in Aussie, I'm not expected to tip. 10% is considered generous already for good service. I hate to eat out in US. During lunch break, I'm used to eat by myself and spending $7.00 on lunch and tipping $2.00 doesn't make any sense for me. That's why I order a take out instead so I won't waste their time serving me However when I do eat on a restaurant, I always tip at least 15% for good service and I will always tip at least $3.00 for food delivery. Why? It's because both me and my brother have worked as waiter and have been pizza driver once.

I'm still think tipping custom in US is suck. I do believe waiter supposed to get a better pay hourly so they don't rely on tips to make ends meet. I'm not rich but I'm not a good cook either. That's why if I have limited money and I can't spare for tipping, I order a take-out and drive there myself to pick-up my food and eat it at my home.

Dec 22, 2006 at 10:16 PM Post #159 of 197
I always tip really good, just because i know what it's like to work in a really busy restaurant, and it sucks when people are not polite.

Dec 22, 2006 at 10:26 PM Post #160 of 197
there is no middle ground with tipping..
the food/service is either great and you give all the changed left from whatever bill you give.

or, you go the extra distance and pull out a 5er,or possibly a 10 if you were gobsmaked..

but as there isnt a middle ground, its usually whats left in the little dish.

Dec 22, 2006 at 10:29 PM Post #161 of 197
that also poops me how waiters have the gaw to moan about poor tips..
lucky to get anything.. why people feel its ok to tip this person here but not the chef in the kitchen... the reason they went out in the first place if its a restaraunt is for the food.. not the waiters service..

mebbeh if its a she and she had nice wabs.. then the tip is understandable..

otherwise tip the dang kitchen..
redface.gif

Dec 22, 2006 at 10:56 PM Post #162 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by *645-k701 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there is no middle ground with tipping..
the food/service is either great and you give all the changed left from whatever bill you give.

or, you go the extra distance and pull out a 5er,or possibly a 10 if you were gobsmaked..

but as there isnt a middle ground, its usually whats left in the little dish.

Well, you might get away with it in your country, but definitely not in USA

Dec 22, 2006 at 10:57 PM Post #163 of 197
Quote:

lucky to get anything.. why people feel its ok to tip this person here but not the chef in the kitchen... the reason they went out in the first place if its a restaraunt is for the food.. not the waiters service..

redface.gif

You realize that most restaurants garnish servers' tips to be distributed to the busers, cooks and dish staff, yes?

Dec 23, 2006 at 4:23 AM Post #164 of 197
Quote:

redface.gif

i agree, i eat out for the food, not the service. I do not feel privaleged when getting good service, i expect it. Is it too much to ask to bring me my soda in a timely fashion, when I'm already paying 3 dollars for something thats worth a few cents? I mean, I came to this resturaunt to eat the food, should I be thankful and pay extra just because the food I bought is brought out to me? What else would I do? Walk into the kitchen and bring it out myself?

not to give the wrong idea, when the service is excellent I do tip quite a bit. But when its average or mediocre I don't bother leaving much. I only have so much money to give, so why should an undeserving server get what could potentially be an excellent servers tip?

So far I only recall a single instance of when I had excellent service. My ex and I just finished a long volunteering shift and just needed a place to eat before our next shift started. We went into an average seafood resturaunt not expecting much, and there was nothing on the menu that my girlfriend could eat since she was a vegetarian. The server was also the manager since it was a slow day, and he was extremely friendly and helpful. He suggested my girlfriend order a wrap, and that he would have it made however she wanted (this was not even listened on the menu). When he forgot to bring me lemon for my fish, he apologized and offered me another piece on the house. That was the only time i've ever tipped 50% of the bill. Things that get good tips from me are servers who give a little extra something, like only charging us for a single drink when its obvious we're sharing, or when we're with a large party and some people can't afford to eat, but they keep bringing out baskets of fries or bread and only charging us for a single order. Especially when we are having an all you can eat special, and they break the rules and bag our leftovers for us anyways. Thats what I define as great service and great waiting.

Dec 23, 2006 at 5:32 AM Post #165 of 197
Quote:

i agree, i eat out for the food, not the service. I do not feel privaleged when getting good service, i expect it. Is it too much to ask to bring me my soda in a timely fashion, when I'm already paying 3 dollars for something thats worth a few cents? I mean, I came to this resturaunt to eat the food, should I be thankful and pay extra just because the food I bought is brought out to me? What else would I do? Walk into the kitchen and bring it out myself?

not to give the wrong idea, when the service is excellent I do tip quite a bit. But when its average or mediocre I don't bother leaving much. I only have so much money to give, so why should an undeserving server get what could potentially be an excellent servers tip?

So far I only recall a single instance of when I had excellent service. My ex and I just finished a long volunteering shift and just needed a place to eat before our next shift started. We went into an average seafood resturaunt not expecting much, and there was nothing on the menu that my girlfriend could eat since she was a vegetarian. The server was also the manager since it was a slow day, and he was extremely friendly and helpful. He suggested my girlfriend order a wrap, and that he would have it made however she wanted (this was not even listened on the menu). When he forgot to bring me lemon for my fish, he apologized and offered me another piece on the house. That was the only time i've ever tipped 50% of the bill. Things that get good tips from me are servers who give a little extra something, like only charging us for a single drink when its obvious we're sharing, or when we're with a large party and some people can't afford to eat, but they keep bringing out baskets of fries or bread and only charging us for a single order. Especially when we are having an all you can eat special, and they break the rules and bag our leftovers for us anyways. Thats what I define as great service and great waiting.

some people just will never get it...if you use as your criteria for great service that someone will bend the rules for you at the expense of the restaurant then what is there to say? that said....waiters/waitresses should go in knowing that some people are generous, some are average and some are cheap as sses and that is how life is....get a education

Users who are viewing this thread

Back