WHAT IS YOUR NEXT PURCHASE?
Oct 2, 2001 at 12:44 AM Post #47 of 57
(Hopefully) My list: [in order of priority]

1. Panasonic 790 (when it comes out, and depending on the reviews)
2. Grado Sr-80
3. A tin of altoids
4. A DIY Amp borrowing (ok, copying) the Altoid casing idea
5. Some Sony 888's (short cord)
6. Possible trade of black ex70lp's for white ex70sl's

Oct 2, 2001 at 12:53 AM Post #48 of 57
Hmm... am I the only one here that thinks that the white ex70s look ugly? They look like they are meant for women...

Oct 2, 2001 at 12:56 AM Post #49 of 57
You're not the only one......bleagh! The black look OK - the 888s blow em away, tho
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 5, 2001 at 6:59 PM Post #52 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by jude

The Max I'm very happy with, so I don't intend to upgrade that anytime soon -- though I will admit that I'd like to maybe give tubes another try with the Wheatfield HA-2 or the MicroZOTL for my office rig (the Cary looks awesome but is just too expensive for what I budget for audio).

The Wheatfield is *schweeet*. Think Orpheus. In fact, I couldn't hear any difference (and neither could my dad) between it and the Orpheus except for the detail and other electrostatic-only things. Wheatfield HA-2+HD600+Clou=Poor Man's Orpheus IMHO.

Quote:

Regarding headphone upgrades: Where do I go from here? I've tried a lot of dynamic headphones, and I really like the HD-600's and the 7506/V6's quite a lot. I may still try the Beyer DT-990 Pros (250-ohm) some day (I tried the 600-ohm ones before). I'd like to listen to the MDR-CD3000's some day soon. Electrostatics may be in my future, but probably not the near future.

Stax Basic? Electret headphones?
Quote:

I think I really enjoy the tweaking thing because it's a challenge -- and very rewarding -- to extract as much performance that I can out of the core equipment I've got. Heheh....I know, that ain't cheap either (it can actually be as expensive -- or more expensive -- than mid-priced gear) and it can still mean the addition of other components, but it's a blast. The challenge of tweaking I'm finding to be my second favorite thing to do with my rig, behind listening to music.

And it's a way to spend more money on your rig, improve the sound, AND have fun without buying new components!
biggrin.gif

Quote:

So bring on the power cords, interconnects, cones, pucks, stands, ceramic insulators, roller bearings, dedicated AC circuit, .........
wink.gif

When you're done tweaking call Stereophile and start writing a column and recoup the cost
smily_headphones1.gif
If you don't do that, at least post *lots* of pics and reviews to lowly Head-Fi
wink.gif

Oct 5, 2001 at 7:05 PM Post #53 of 57
Quote:

Wheatfield HA-2+HD600+Clou=Poor Man's Orpheus IMHO.

eric343: what the hell? what income bracket ARE you in?!?!? Orpheus = expensive. HA-2= not cheap......

Oct 5, 2001 at 7:06 PM Post #54 of 57
OH - I can't resist....lookee over here, folks!!!

Check the post total.....OOOH YEA!!!

1 - 1 - 1 -1.....

HEHEHEHEH.....

(ahem, quite sorry....about...my...uh...pathetic side being shown....)

HEHEHEHE.....

tongue.gif

Oct 5, 2001 at 7:16 PM Post #55 of 57
Go Coolvij!

(oh, and at less than 1/10th of the cost of an Orpheus, the HA-2 *IS* more affordable. Maybe still out of the range of damn near everyone here, but more affordable.)

Oct 5, 2001 at 8:32 PM Post #56 of 57
coolvij, when did your postcount get turned into binary?
wink.gif

Oct 6, 2001 at 10:56 PM Post #57 of 57
My purchases before the new year:

-Interconnects
-RCA caps
rolleyes.gif

Longterm purchases:

-Sony CD-3k, Beyer 770, RS-1, or HP-2
-new amp that Jan is working on (thread)
-Cou cables

Users who are viewing this thread

Back