CRESCENDOPOWER

Headphoneus Supremus
My next purchases are:
red clou cables
Beyer DT770
power inverter for car (radio shack)
used Headroom Max
computer
You noticed I put the computer last didn't you. Good thing I'm not married, or I probably would be divorced.
Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I have to try JMT's CHA-47 with the Sony V-6. That's gotta rock!

Sep 30, 2001 at 3:37 PM Post #2 of 57
Quote:

Good thing I'm not married, or I probably would be divorced.

Or you could be lucky enough to find a woman as understanding as my wife of thirty years.
biggrin.gif

I have nothing in mind right now, but if something comes along at the right price (I almost always buy pre-owned stuff), I could be tempted rather easily. The addiction hasn't subsided......but at least there's nothing I really want. I certainly don't need any more stuff.
biggrin.gif

Sep 30, 2001 at 3:37 PM Post #3 of 57
I need to upgrade my interconnects. At the top of my list is the Tara Labs RSC Air-1.

Next, and next only because of the price, is my source. The Marantz CD-6000 OSE simply isn't cutting it anymore. I'm thinking of perhaps the Naim CD3.5 if I buy early, or if I wait until mid-summer, perhaps the Wadia 831, Accuphase DP-55V, or something fabulous in that range. I'm really looking for something reputed to be a "neutral" CD player. That is, I want it to be very involving, dynamic, and clear, just probably not extremely warm. That's why I think I may stay away from the Jupiter 2000 and perhaps the Caries. But I'll definitely audition the Cary 303/200 and 306/200, and the Rega if I get a chance.

Sep 30, 2001 at 3:53 PM Post #4 of 57
I have a simple Christmas list:

AKG 401 or 501
Beyer 831
JMT Cinammon Altoid amp

I'll have to bring it up to Santa for discussion.

Regards - reynman

Sep 30, 2001 at 4:36 PM Post #6 of 57
A power cord for my Headmaster is what I'm looking for right now. After that (and probably not before christmas) I'll probably get a tuner, or possibly a DAC. The only thing stopping me is money, or rather a lack of it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 30, 2001 at 5:02 PM Post #7 of 57
nobody buys cd's anymore? odd...
tongue.gif

next purchases:

cd's (miles davis, more coltrane
smily_headphones1.gif
, landmarq and pendragon)
something amp related (JMT or Meier or build something myself)
Beyer DT770
cdp (most probably a denon 370 cause of bang-for-buck ratio and 5 discs)
amp + very-entry-level speakers (Mission or Chario bookshelves or something similar)

Sep 30, 2001 at 5:06 PM Post #8 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by Braver
nobody buys cd's anymore? odd...
tongue.gif

Braver,

I've actually stopped buying CD's for a while because I went on such a streak (I typically buy at least two or three per week), that I haven't listened extensively to many of my newer ones.

I'll start up again with the CD/SACD purchases after I've had the opportunity to listen to more of the ones I purchased in the last three or four months.

Sep 30, 2001 at 5:21 PM Post #9 of 57
- Just ordered Slee Cable 1 Interconnects
- Beyer DT770
- Build a better amp (szekeres or hotrod cmoy)

budget is very tight right now so the Beyer's and the amp will have to wait a few months..

Sep 30, 2001 at 5:29 PM Post #10 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by jude
Interconnects and maybe another power cord upgrade.

or maybe, just as a change of pace, you could try upgrading the components.
smily_headphones1.gif
Get some new phones! Try out that $4,000 SACD player! Get a facial! That last tweak will really improve midrange smoothness. And youn need to get a new razor! That stubble is starting to make the treble less detailed.
biggrin.gif

Sep 30, 2001 at 5:47 PM Post #12 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by Neruda
or maybe, just as a change of pace, you could try upgrading the components.
smily_headphones1.gif
Get some new phones! Try out that $4,000 SACD player!

On the SACD player: Not yet. I will eventually, but only as next generation players continue to evolve and make significant jumps up in audio quality a more affordable affair. The likelihood that I'd ever spend $4000 on a source component is probably quite slim, as I budget very carefully (my retirement fund is my primary financial concern -- I'm in my 30's now!) -- my only debt is my mortgage, and I'd like to keep it that way. I also want to see how the SACD thing pans out. I'll continue buying SACD software, but I won't buy the hardware more than once every other generation. The Max I'm very happy with, so I don't intend to upgrade that anytime soon -- though I will admit that I'd like to maybe give tubes another try with the Wheatfield HA-2 or the MicroZOTL for my office rig (the Cary looks awesome but is just too expensive for what I budget for audio). And the balanced power isolator improved my rig so effectively that it sounds as though I've upgraded my source, amp and headphones already -- I see that addition as buying a component that upgraded every other component in the chain.

Regarding headphone upgrades: Where do I go from here? I've tried a lot of dynamic headphones, and I really like the HD-600's and the 7506/V6's quite a lot. I may still try the Beyer DT-990 Pros (250-ohm) some day (I tried the 600-ohm ones before). I'd like to listen to the MDR-CD3000's some day soon. Electrostatics may be in my future, but probably not the near future.

I think I really enjoy the tweaking thing because it's a challenge -- and very rewarding -- to extract as much performance that I can out of the core equipment I've got. Heheh....I know, that ain't cheap either (it can actually be as expensive -- or more expensive -- than mid-priced gear) and it can still mean the addition of other components, but it's a blast. The challenge of tweaking I'm finding to be my second favorite thing to do with my rig, behind listening to music.

So bring on the power cords, interconnects, cones, pucks, stands, ceramic insulators, roller bearings, dedicated AC circuit, .........
wink.gif

Sep 30, 2001 at 6:18 PM Post #13 of 57
Next on my list is something from BPT, most likely a BPT Jr and one of their power cords. After that is a tough call... all the talk about the DI/O has me wanting to upgrade my source. But I really wanted to get some Bolder cables w/ it, and those interconnects won't be available for a couple of months. Of course, the new Sony 222 SACD player also sounds pretty appealing. What to do, what to do...

Oh yeah, and I need to get some Sorbothane. Where can I order that stuff from where it's pre-shaped into little feet?

Sep 30, 2001 at 6:48 PM Post #15 of 57
oh yeah, going to get some sorbothane for my stereo, a better mini-RCA cable, a better optical cable and maybe some spikes for the speakers and a thicker power cord
biggrin.gif
gonna tweak the **** out of that piece of crap
very_evil_smiley.gif
...no money to buy a new source
frown.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

NDW, something went wrong woth your link Jude..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back