What is your most prized recording for headphone listening?
Nov 29, 2001 at 3:51 AM Post #31 of 37
Very nice, you already have great headphones, you might as well finally start hear what they can do
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 29, 2001 at 3:56 AM Post #32 of 37
I just want to thank everyone for posting their favorites in this thread ... what an awesome response. Thank you. Thank you. Whewww. What a range of stuff to sort through here. Too bad I don't have hundreds I can just plunk down on getting my library up to speed.

Nov 29, 2001 at 4:00 AM Post #33 of 37
That version of The Planets is very good, same one I have...

I'm actually listening to it right now on my portable system (555 got delayed and will be here tomorrow). It sounds pretty good. Check my signature for my portable system... Anyway, it definitely has a huge dynamic range that can give equipment problems, and my Panasonic CT780 can barely handle it, kinda gets a little wild sometimes
smily_headphones1.gif
However, when I had my Denon 370 into a Link DAC III running into the Melos, it sounded amazing through my speakers and my etys.

Anyway, I forgot what the topic of the thread was, but I'll just answer with Dave Matthews Band - Before These Crowded Streets
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 29, 2001 at 4:15 AM Post #34 of 37
Here's some of my favorite audiophile CDs that I have, you should have them too
wink.gif

Birgit Nilsson – Sings Wagner : Opera Arias
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Richard Wagner – Orchestral Music
Richard Wagner – Love Duets: Tristan Und Isolde/Siegfried
Rachel Barton - Instrument Of The Devil
Telarc Collection - Vol. 7

If you are not into classical or opera, then get Telarc Collection - Vol. 7 and you WILL be into Classical and Opera
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 29, 2001 at 6:04 AM Post #35 of 37
Actually, I am noticing my old crappy Sony PCDP (D-242CK) isn't distorting as much. In fact on the small timpani outbursts it is barely distorting at all! But it still sounds like crap when everyhing is blaring.

It is my offical CD player untill I get the Denon, or perhaps the Cambridge Audio D300, it is at Audio Advisor for $175.

Well, because of this I would highly reccomend this CD (Telarc - The Planets) for testing speakers and CD players and amps, I don't think I have anything that has anywhere near the same dynamic range. It goes from barely audible to blow the speakers loud and everything in between, and is apparently recorded fine, just that most cheap equipment can't take it. It also sounds fantastic to me, untill the distortion rears its ugly head.

Perhaps the distortion I have been hearing on some Therion tracks isn't because of the recirding either, but my source. (Deggial has a couple nasty sounding moments, but nothing like the largest timpani roll in Uranus).

Flumpus - how does Uranus sound, particularly the large buildup around 1:30-2 minutes in, and then around 3:20-4:00 it gets really bad for me. To the point where I turn the volume down very low as it is about to play, which is unfortunate since it is such a powerful piece.

I have Kind of Blue hanging around somewhere, I didn't listen to it much, but it was pretty good, and sounded alright.

Nov 29, 2001 at 6:38 AM Post #36 of 37
For my tastes:

Metallica: black album
Sarah Mclachlan: Surfacing
Paula Cole: this fire
Stabbing westward: darkest days
Testament: the ritual

Cant think of any others at the moment!

George

Nov 29, 2001 at 2:07 PM Post #37 of 37
Xevion, sounds fine on my home system (old home system, I'm sure the 555 will sound fine too), and on my CT780 it does distort, but not to the point where I turn it down really low. It does OK, but no better. I agree though, kinda disappointing 'cause I'd love to listen to this distortion free out and about
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back