What is your most pricey piece of music?
Feb 21, 2006 at 2:39 PM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
It is my understanding that they remastered these unobtrusively. You may want to investigate hearing a more recent issue -- don't know how to tell the difference, though.

Well the RTL I have was a BMG record club version. Maybe they messed it up in the transfer. Mids are very loud/shrill and the lows/highs are almost not there.

The remaster of MASTER OF PUPPETS sounds better than the original cd I had, it's actually closer to how I remember the vinyl sounding. Again, the midrange on the original cd I had was exaggeraged (but I am going from memory here as I don't have the orig. cd to compare anymore). The Remaster is smoothed over the entire range, you can actually hear the bass, and the guitars have texture instead of sounding shrill. Now, I know that both James and Kirk liked to have the guitars mixed HIGH, and they're still pretty prominent in the remaster, it's just that it's not as painful to listen to.

But, maybe a newer issue of RTL will sound better, if I get around to it.

-jar

Feb 21, 2006 at 3:27 PM Post #17 of 27
hmmm...

CD:
fIREHOSE - Live Totem Pole EP
Beach Boys - SMiLE (vigotone bootleg)

Vinyl:
Bob Dylan/The Band - Before the Flood (original pressing)
Derek and the Dominoes - Layla &c. (original pressing)
REM - Mada Mada (bootleg)
Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables (o.p.)
Prince - Purple Rain w/promotional poster inside (o.p.)
Captain Beyond - Sufficiently Breathless (o.p.)

...and assorted others gathered from various family members. don't know what these are worth, but i imagine they're all somewhat collectible by this point. actually, they're just fun to put in the same list.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 22, 2006 at 7:24 AM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Masonjar
Well the RTL I have was a BMG record club version.

No, no, I ain't arguin' that. The old versions are notoriously horrible-sounding. No argument. I'm just sayin' that I heard (have not personally confirmed) that they have since remastered them. I have those original CD issues, as well, and they suck to high heaven. No bass whatsoever. But I also have the DCC versions, so I don't need the newer remasters.

Mine: probably one of my MFSL's -- I know I paid more than US$50 for some of those.

Feb 22, 2006 at 6:54 PM Post #19 of 27
Assuming boxed sets don't count, I have a special edition of the Grand Hotel by Procol Harum from France, cost me about 40 bones. Most I ever spent on a single album had to be a DVD though - DJ Q-bert's Wave Twisters. Full album animated cut-for-cut, scratch-for-scratch. Found its way into the Los Angeles museum of modern art. The disc fetched about $75 and tax at the time.

Feb 22, 2006 at 7:21 PM Post #20 of 27
i paid 30 bucks for this used nine inch nails 2 disc thingy. it comes in a neat fabric covered case(shown below). thats about it for me.

Feb 22, 2006 at 10:16 PM Post #21 of 27
I recently bought an original release of some Final Fantasy soundtracks for about $30-35 each. I think I'll stick with bootlegs for a while.

Feb 24, 2006 at 6:35 PM Post #22 of 27
Eight or nine years ago, I found a new, sealed 2-record vinyl copy of Roger Waters' "Amused to Death" in an independent music store and bought it for $20; I never opened it, and three or four years ago I sold it on eBay for $308 (which went straight into the audio gear fund). As for Roger, I already had the CBS Mastersound gold CD.
580smile.gif

Feb 24, 2006 at 7:27 PM Post #23 of 27
Interesting question, I got the first relase of The Dark Side of the Moon. Also got the 7" of manic street preachers Suecide alley, think there are like 500 of them made. Might be more as I havent looked at the LP's I inherited in ages.

Im not a collector in anyway, although its cool to have rare stuff, its only music to me.

Feb 25, 2006 at 5:15 PM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by familyman
i paid 30 bucks for this used nine inch nails 2 disc thingy. it comes in a neat fabric covered case(shown below). thats about it for me.

The second disc of that set is the best CD NIN have ever released, IMO.

My most valuable CD is an original copy of Radiohead's Drill EP, which seems to be going for around £180 on ebay nowadays...

Feb 25, 2006 at 11:21 PM Post #26 of 27
I sold my half speed mastered copy of Wish You Were Here for $175. I got $150 for a white pressing of the Beatles White Album too. Man! I'll take the money, but I sure don't understand it.

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back