What is your latest music discovery?
Jul 28, 2013 at 5:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

attika89

500+ Head-Fier

What is your latest music discovery?

For me it is Beth Hart!
Wow, she is awesome!
I was just browsing through the "What are you listening to..." thread and I saw the 'Bang Bang Boom Boom' cover. I had the feeling that I need(!) to get to know her music. And now I'm just hooked. I've watched the "Live At Paradiso" DVD 3 times, and I can't get over it.

Jul 30, 2013 at 3:30 AM Post #2 of 22
Well, my recent discovery is Tarja, an ex Nightwish singer, I've never heard such music before, it gave me a lot of fun. 

Tarja Turunen - My Winter Storm [Deluxe Edition]

John Hammond - Rough & Tough

Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused to Sing (And Other Stories), I read about this on this forum a week or so ago. Well, I really like it. 

Jul 30, 2013 at 3:59 AM Post #3 of 22
Quote:
Well, my recent discovery is Tarja, an ex Nightwish singer, I've never heard such music before, it gave me a lot of fun. 

I'm a huge fan of her
beerchug.gif

Make sure you check out 'What Lies Beneath' as well! I like that even more.
BTW her new album, 'Colours In The Dark' comes out at the very end of August.
wink_face.gif

Aug 4, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #6 of 22
Angs and Julia Stone.  Not the mainstream, easy and pleasure to listen.

Sep 27, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #9 of 22
There's quite a few performers that I've come to know and enjoy in the last few months, but one has made it to my top 10. The discovery was rather accidental: I got a CD as a gift from my son when I announced that I'm changing my work place. He got it only because the title seemed appropriate: "Changing Places" by Tord Gustavsen Trio. 

Sep 28, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #10 of 22
  There's quite a few performers that I've come to know and enjoy in the last few months, but one has made it to my top 10. The discovery was rather accidental: I got a CD as a gift from my son when I announced that I'm changing my work place. He got it only because the title seemed appropriate: "Changing Places" by Tord Gustavsen Trio. 

The Tord Gustavsen Trio and The Tord Gustavsen Quartet are both amazing groups lead by Gustavsen himself. I have a few albums from both groups in my collection and they really are great. Enjoy Changing Plaes. : - )

So my latest discovery is actually an album discovery moreso than anything else, and it is from a famous artist: Miles Davis.

I really couldn't understand why is it I haven't heard this album before. It really is a wonderful album with so many textures and melodies that rival that of Kind of Blue, in my opinion..

Sep 28, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #11 of 22
Antonio Sanchez, "Real Life":  Probably the most talented living jazz drummer today puts out an outstanding release earlier this year.  Jazz album of the year IMHO so far.

Sep 29, 2013 at 7:31 AM Post #12 of 22
Jordan Hallquist

Oct 3, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #13 of 22
Bartoks "Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta". My wife and I were going up to stay at Timberline Lodge and I wanted some music from The Shining to play as we drove up (the outside shots of the Overlook were shot there). The entire recording was a very nice surprise.

Oct 19, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #14 of 22
Was wandering around Bandcamp this morning and came across this guy.  Call's himself Wind in Sails.  Bought his album and looking forward to his next EP to be released on 10/31/13.  Here is a cut from the forthcoming EP.  I'm really enjoying this!

Oct 19, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #15 of 22

I normally don't fancy music with highly extended vocal chords, but there is something more about this group that I enjoy. Their vocalist is really flexible in his vocal range, which is really enthralling. The other side of their music is how technical and musical it is. They don't dwell in consistent "chuggs" and piano segments to create a beautiful song. This is what sold me in on the artist. Definitely a nice refresh from my current taste of music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back