what is your ideal setting for studying?
Dec 18, 2006 at 5:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

terrymx

Headphoneus Supremus
Since I have time off between my classes, I found out that I actaully put in more time studying at school than at home. Sadly.

There are just too much distraction at home. The worse is the computer, and then headfi. Music, speakers, just too much comfort.

So I ended up going to school early and study or read in the library. Yes there are people around, but its less distraction than all the electronics.

Dec 18, 2006 at 6:04 PM Post #2 of 41
The only place that I can truely study is in the tub....no kidding...the tub...with warm water running all the time. Sometimes I will have my notes stuck on the bathroom wall, that way I have a 135 degree view of all my notes...very easy to refer from one thing to another without having to constantly flipping the pages....and of course...the shower is running all the time
biggrin.gif
Ideally, I'd prefer to study in a jacuzzi though.

Pc is horrible, I'd have the tendency to think about the pc so long that i know it is close to me. Headphone and great music is worse...they sound so good that I feel like just drowning myself in the audio bliss and forget about everything.
plainface.gif

Dec 18, 2006 at 7:11 PM Post #4 of 41
I don't even bring my books home anymore. I have a small office in a corner of the basement of the physics department. If I have schoolwork to do I do it there, when I come home it's time for chillaxin'. Far too many distractions at home, and there is a chalkboard there.

Dec 18, 2006 at 7:14 PM Post #5 of 41
Well for me it involves filling the area with that many distractions that I never end up studying, which is good at first but then the next day it's not such a good thing.
biggrin.gif

Dec 18, 2006 at 7:15 PM Post #6 of 41
I do study at home. I need to take frequent breaks to let thiings sink in and let me piece things together rather than trying to jam endless theories on culture into my brain. At home, I have the perfect break setting, with many things to entertain me during my down time!

Dec 18, 2006 at 7:42 PM Post #7 of 41
I pretty much have to sit at a table/desk alone without any distractions to study properly. I like to think I can study while chatting on IRC and checking head-fi, but it doesn't work too well
biggrin.gif
Sometimes putting the TV on with CNN playing in the background helps me concentrate.

Oddly enough, I cannot study with music playing, especially on headphones.

Dec 19, 2006 at 1:10 AM Post #9 of 41
6th floor of the library because no one knows how to get there. Reading lounge on floor because no one uses it. Deparment building because most graduates don't chit chat which distracts me and the undergrads are too lazy to walk across campus.

For studying I need music and a good nights sleep piror to the study session or I get distraced by my sleepyness and own mental fatigue.

Dec 19, 2006 at 1:42 AM Post #12 of 41
I can actually study well with music, especially classical. The computer is another story...star trek always seems to pop on without warning! I don't know how...
580smile.gif

Dec 19, 2006 at 1:55 AM Post #13 of 41
At home (either my real home or dorm room), in either complete silence or listening to loud trance or chillout music on my headphones. Strangely, I can't concentrate while listening to any other music, including classical and all music with lyrics.

Dec 19, 2006 at 1:55 AM Post #14 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by kin0kin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only place that I can truely study is in the tub....no kidding...the tub...with warm water running all the time. Sometimes I will have my notes stuck on the bathroom wall, that way I have a 135 degree view of all my notes...very easy to refer from one thing to another without having to constantly flipping the pages....and of course...the shower is running all the time
biggrin.gif
Ideally, I'd prefer to study in a jacuzzi though.

Pc is horrible, I'd have the tendency to think about the pc so long that i know it is close to me. Headphone and great music is worse...they sound so good that I feel like just drowning myself in the audio bliss and forget about everything.
plainface.gif

WOW..revelation..will try this tweak.

Dec 19, 2006 at 2:55 AM Post #15 of 41
headfi is one of the most distracting sites on the planet. Along with wikipedia. I spend hours just reading articles and stuff. It is just too much fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back