What is your favourite sound signature/tuning?
Jul 27, 2019 at 4:58 AM Post #16 of 21
I don't have any measuring rigs, so take my opinion with a pinch of salt; but I think the sony MH755 sounds close to a harman tuning, except maybe the bass is a bit more north than the typical harman curve?
I heard that the Moondrop Blessing and SHE7000 are very close to it as u say, maybe with EQ it can be made into a perfect harman curve?
It's not. Crin's graph happens to look so, but my measurements shows that the upper-mids are on the peaky side (perhaps unit variation? Likely not as I've measure several and get the same response). SHE7000 is much more Harman-isq.

I know that I would not prefer a rise from 2.7-3k to the treble area, but the opposite, a gradual decline like Harman. Possible difference from Harman might be at what level that 2.7-3k to treble decline should be.

SHE7000 vs Black MH755.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #17 of 21
Great advise. I shall try to keep an open mind.

I find that lately, the line between DD and BA drivers has become more blurred with improvements in technology.
I've been using the Audiosense T800 IEM and though it is a pure multi BA setup, its bass sounds almost like a DD bass due to the tuning/vented subwoofer.
And I used to think that BAs generally have better clarity and resolution than a DD, but lately i have heard a few DD IEMs with great clarity and details.

I've heard good stuff about the Z1R but it's out of my budget for now. Hope to try it out one day.

Woofer BA has slower decay than full range BA. Maybe that's why it sound like DD.

Jul 27, 2019 at 11:46 PM Post #18 of 21
Planar speaker systems and planar iems are where my preferences lie.
My magnepan 1.7i with a few after market modifications (replacing steel treble jumpers with solid OCC copper cables/ and bypassing fuse) is the most "I am there" system I have personally ever owned.
It does everything from 2pac to EDM to movies extremely well. Bass is very realistic, and natural.
On the iem side, the RHA CL2 is a carbon copy of the signature above, they managed to shrink that planar speaker system into a 10mm driver.
Saxophones on a planar magnetic system are to die for, even if you don't like jazz, itll make you a convert.
Add: neither do well with overly produced/compressed music.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2019 at 11:57 PM Post #19 of 21
CE-5's bass and treble with 334's mids. I think it'll be pretty balanced all over.

Jul 28, 2019 at 2:31 AM Post #20 of 21
Planar speaker systems and planar iems are where my preferences lie.
My magnepan 1.7i with a few after market modifications (replacing steel treble jumpers with solid OCC copper cables/ and bypassing fuse) is the most "I am there" system I have personally ever owned.
It does everything from 2pac to EDM to movies extremely well. Bass is very realistic, and natural.
On the iem side, the RHA CL2 is a carbon copy of the signature above, they managed to shrink that planar speaker system into a 10mm driver.
Saxophones on a planar magnetic system are to die for, even if you don't like jazz, itll make you a convert.
Add: neither do well with overly produced/compressed music.

I've heard a lot about planar gear in the reviews section, just checking, do these need an amp in general to drive them or it can be driven from a smartphone?

Jul 28, 2019 at 2:40 AM Post #21 of 21
I've heard a lot about planar gear in the reviews section, just checking, do these need an amp in general to drive them or it can be driven from a smartphone?
You are going to need a decent amp or DAP to run these properly.
They are extremely transparent, so they will sound like the gear you pair them with. I have the CL2 paired with the WM1A, and that is an excellent match.
Having listened to the RME ADI-2, DMP-Z1, Sony TA-ZH1ES pairings etc, the sky is the limit, they scale with better and better equipment.
As I have experienced it, BA drivers sound very serviceable with weaker sources, DD drivers are a bit harder to drive, and lastly Planars require a decent amount of current to sound like they should.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back