What is your favorite Who album?
Aug 2, 2009 at 6:47 AM Post #16 of 28
cpp_thewho_liveatleeds.jpg
Was Tommy now live at leeds.

Aug 2, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #17 of 28
My fave is the "greatest hits" collection, "Meaty, Beaty, Big, and Bouncy". It's got all the best of The Who's British-Invasion singles plus. In other words, it's the anti-"Who's Next".

Aug 3, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by zombieDave /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My fave is the "greatest hits" collection, "Meaty, Beaty, Big, and Bouncy". It's got all the best of The Who's British-Invasion singles plus. In other words, it's the anti-"Who's Next".

I don't know about the anti-Who's Next (whatever that means), but it is a Steve Hoffman master which is a huge plus. And I've never heard the version of I'm a Boy that's on it. The only version I ever heard before purchasing MBBB has Pete singing the first verse IIRC.

Aug 3, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by zombieDave /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Same here - I much prefer their early singles and "Meaty, Beaty, Big and Bouncy" is really excellent.

Apr 11, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #21 of 28
Who's Next was my first album purchase after getting a "real" stereo (i.e., wood speaker cabinets, not a plastic toy-like hi-fi), and it has the album rock staples (my older brother touted it at the time as a really well produced album ... which I listened to endlessly in my childhood room on crappy headphones with one channel shorting out).

Sell Out has the great "product" ads and "Tattoo," a greatly underrated song that had a different meaning before everyone started inking up as an unintentionally conformist fashion statement in recent years ...

... but I have to go with Quadrophenia, from 1973, if only for the combination of age, time and place when I got it (the first Friday after it came out ... no headphones for this one -- I blasted it out loud and proud ... fellow dorm residents were going to hear the Who whether they wanted to or not).  Quadrophenia certainly wasn't my story, but I could identify to an extent (and I was young enough to go for the youthful alienation and bombast).  It has been said before, but 1973 was a sort of musical end to the 1960s, and Quadrophenia helped encapsulate a part of that decade.

Apr 11, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #22 of 28
Tommy, stands for me,
maybe because I got heavy listening, when my wife was pregnant..

Apr 13, 2011 at 6:53 AM Post #25 of 28
1. Tommy
2. Live at Leeds (1995 re-issue)
3. Who's Next
4. Quadrophenia
5. the rest

First 4 are all pretty close.

Apr 20, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #28 of 28
I have a soft spot for By Numbers, the first Who album I heard. Overall, I would have to go with Thirty Years of Maximum R&B, which is kind of a cheat, but some of my favourite Who tracks did not appear on any of their albums (they are add ons on various re-releases) but were singles only at the time of the aborted Lifehouse project; Join Together, Lets See Action and Relay. They originally came out as singles only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back