What is your favorite Headphone set-up for Gaming?
Apr 10, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #16 of 20
Quote:
Mids are very important if you play around with eq for FPS games strictly. Mask the bass and up the hz for mids and treble, louder footsteps and effects for pin point accuracy. 

Exactly. I think excessive bass is in fact a detriment for competitive gaming.

It's the converse for immersive gaming.

Apr 22, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #18 of 20
Exactly. I think excessive bass is in fact a detriment for competitive gaming.

It's the converse for immersive gaming.

There are exceptions like the 990, which while being mid recessed due to bass and treble emphasis, the mids are quite detailed and clear. Just pushed back in the mix. You can still hear them like any mid forward headphone. It's just not in your face. In reality, the 990's mids sound cleaner and more detailed than the 880s, despite being pushed back a little.

Apr 22, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #19 of 20
Quote:
Pan Am > HD 650 or a DT880. Depends on the mood. Makes for a very immersive gaming experience (kinda makes you want to go shout FUS RO DAH!).

For non competitive gaming sounds like a sweet rig. 

Apr 25, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #20 of 20
Geez, I've been off the forum for so long!

I've just recently gotten back into PC gaming after building a new rig, audio gear hasn't changed at all over the past two years or so except for a few random finds from work. 

I like my Shure SRH840 for headphone use as they're pretty much my only closed headphone at the moment and my old computer was loud as balls caught in an airplane engine and I made the assumption my "quiet" labelled Corsair H80i liquid cooler would be actually quiet for my new computer, which it is not, so I'm still currently using my Shures to cut down on ambient noises around me. Previously, I could bare through some sound, I loved my AKG 601s for their soundstage which gave me a great edge in competitive FPS games letting me know who was coming from which direction.

I've had the opportunity to try a lot of gaming headphones from Razer and Steelseries, and I must honestly say, they're not great for serious audio listening, but they actually fair very well for gaming in regards to audio positioning (as that's what they're designed for) and their cost vs. performance in that respect is likely better than hi-fi headphones used for the same application... Yet their build-quality is usually rubbish, so there's a catch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back