What is your favorite cover version of "Wooden Ships"
Jul 24, 2012 at 11:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

charliex

Headphoneus Supremus
Probably my favorite tune from back in the 60's as it reminds me of being 16 during the Summer of Love and 18 years of age at Woodstock - - oh the memories, the laughter and the tears - a defining time!
WOODEN SHIPS by Jefferson Airplane and CSNY:

Jul 27, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #2 of 7
Anyone ???

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #3 of 7
It just strikes me as an odd tune to ask about a favorite cover version. It's one of those songs that not many people cover because it's pretty much defined by the CS&N version or the Airplane version. It's so associated and defined by the original performers that not a lot of people are going to try to remake it, although some have.

Now pick a song like "Johnny B. Goode" and a zillion different people have taken a crack at it, so it would be easy to debate a favorite cover version.

What's the point of asking about a favorite cover version of a song that not many people have covered?

Jul 27, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
It just strikes me as an odd tune to ask about a favorite cover version. It's one of those songs that not many people cover because it's pretty much defined by the CS&N version or the Airplane version. It's so associated and defined by the original performers that not a lot of people are going to try to remake it, although some have.

Now pick a song like "Johnny B. Goode" and a zillion different people have taken a crack at it, so it would be easy to debate a favorite cover version.

What's the point of asking about a favorite cover version of a song that not many people have covered?

Well, excuuuuuse me, but you strike me as odd to make such an inane and baseless assumption.. I have been listening to this tune (one of my all-time favorites from the 60’s) for the past 43 years, and in that time I have heard a number of covers of this generation defining song, such as:
  1. Chris Harwood
  2. Ides of March
  3. Jay Wilkins Band
  4. Lana Lane (from her fabulous 2006 album Gemini)
  5. Trevor Garrod
  6. Matthew Cook
  7. Michael Bourgeois (one of my favorite covers)
  8. Avalanche Choir (adds a fiddle to the mix!)
  9. Powder Blue
  10. Dohters
And what about the many different live versions from CSNY and JA, and versions from David Crosby and Crosby and Nash, or the Woodstock version and from the King Biscuit Flower Hour.  I would love to hear the many live and alternate versions done by CSNY and Jefferson Airplane over the years.
The point of asking about a favorite cover version of a song that other people may have covered is to locate different, rare and unknown covers, to engage others in the search and to give recognition to such a timeless song.
I descry the ‘point’ in your response, but do find it quite moot.

Jul 27, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Well, excuuuuuse me, but you strike me as odd to make such an inane and baseless assumption.. I have been listening to this tune (one of my all-time favorites from the 60’s) for the past 43 years, and in that time I have heard a number of covers of this generation defining song, such as:
  1. Chris Harwood
  2. Ides of March
  3. Jay Wilkins Band
  4. Lana Lane (from her fabulous 2006 album Gemini)
  5. Trevor Garrod
  6. Matthew Cook
  7. Michael Bourgeois (one of my favorite covers)
  8. Avalanche Choir (adds a fiddle to the mix!)
  9. Powder Blue
  10. Dohters
And what about the many different live versions from CSNY and JA, and versions from David Crosby and Crosby and Nash, or the Woodstock version and from the King Biscuit Flower Hour.  I would love to hear the many live and alternate versions done by CSNY and Jefferson Airplane over the years.
The point of asking about a favorite cover version of a song that other people may have covered is to locate different, rare and unknown covers, to engage others in the search and to give recognition to such a timeless song.
I descry the ‘point’ in your response, but do find it quite moot.

I guess we have different definitions of what a cover version is. To me, different versions of a song by the same people who wrote it and originally recorded it aren't covers. They're just different versions. I don't consider live versions of a song by the original artists to be covers. If Pete Townsend decides to play "My Generation" live tomorrow on a clarinet, it will sound a lot different than his past performances of the song, but I wouldn't consider that to be a cover version. I'd just consider it to be a new live version. Either that, or there are thousands of Pete Townsend cover versions of "My Generation" out there because he's played it quite a few times.

Now, I will wait for others to chime in with their favorite covers of "Wooden Ships" from the ones you listed by other artists. Perhaps there are some other members who are passionate about one of those versions. I'm sure it's also not a complete list, but it's a pretty slim list for a song that's been out for 43 years.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back