What is your favorite album, you didn't understand at first listen?
Aug 9, 2012 at 3:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Redcarmoose

Headphoneus Supremus
We are at a friend's house or a party and hear a type of music for the first time. They play this music style you have never heard, but you can't stand it and ignore the whole thing. Time passes and you start to really love the music. 

The most wise often will not become wildly opinionated at first and file the style of music away later for further research and opinion. Much of the time out first impressions are correct. 

What are your greatest musical surprises, upon hating at first, your new found love?

Post you music with a brief explanation. 

Aug 9, 2012 at 3:39 AM Post #2 of 8
Kid A. I remember when I first listened to it, all I heard was electronic bloops and beeps. I found it boring. 

However, it started to grow on me. I remember a year later, I was listening through it again, and I just went 'wow'. It suddenly all made sense. Since then it's become one of my favourite albums, and I became a huge Radiohead fan, too.

Aug 9, 2012 at 4:40 AM Post #3 of 8

It took me awhile to get into these records.

Aug 9, 2012 at 5:52 AM Post #4 of 8

D'Angelo - Voodoo…the fact that he didn't bother to put any actual songs on it really bothered me at first. When I caught the tour that ?uestlove put together for him, it began to make sense…still don't play the whole thing an awful lot, but I now think it's pretty great…

Aug 9, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:
Kid A. I remember when I first listened to it, all I heard was electronic bloops and beeps. I found it boring. 

However, it started to grow on me. I remember a year later, I was listening through it again, and I just went 'wow'. It suddenly all made sense. Since then it's become one of my favourite albums, and I became a huge Radiohead fan, too.

This right here. Pretty much exactly the same as my experience. Also became a huge Radiohead fan to boot!

Aug 9, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #6 of 8
I just posted the Vienna Concert by Keith Jarrett on the Recommend Me Jazz thread. It's a 45 minute long free improvisation piece by pianist Keith Jarrett. It took several listens before I could understand the structure of it as well as the transitions between different themes. Probably the best jazz piece I've ever heard.

Aug 10, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #7 of 8
Devin Townsend's Deconstruction took me a good while before I could fully appreciate it. I found it too stupid for its own good and it just overwhelmed me. I bought Mastodon's Crack the Skye and Tool's Aenima on the same day which was a mistake, two heavily refined albums which alienated me at first, but they grew on me quickly.

Aug 10, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #8 of 8
Mountain - Climbing!   The first time I listened to it, I was looking for an album of "Mississippi Queen," and when I didn't get that I put it aside and didn't listen to it for years.  I've grown older and look for more in an album now than driving rhythms from start to finish, I put it on a few months ago for the first time in forever, and was blown away by how great it was, made me feel like an idiot for overlooking it for so long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back