What is your EDC(every day carry) flashlight?
Jan 24, 2009 at 7:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Seaside

500+ Head-Fier
I think i saw a thread like this before, but couldn't find it. Back then was then, now is now, so I am going to ask what EDC you think is good.

My question to you guys is three parts.

Part1. What EDC are you using now?
Part2. What EDC would you like to buy when your current EDC is gone dud?
Part3. Why is that?

I want to see what you have and what you think is important at EDC.

I personally want a flashlight that is

- Small enough to carry in jean pocket or small bag.
- Shouln't have big head.
- Prefer floody beam over spot throwing.
- Good at indoor use, ok for casual outdoor use.
- Don't care brand or name value. price range up to $50.
- Should have high and low mode, don't care strobe or SOS mode.

I am thinking about buying either trustfire or jetbeam from that el cheapo place that some of you already knew.

Anyways, what's your EDC?
Any recommendation? Any flashlight that I need to stay away from?

Jan 25, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #2 of 22
My EDC flashlight is just a little, cheap Fenix E01. Well, it was - I seem to have lost it yesterday. Luckily, I've still got another one put away, and yet another still at my boyfriend's apartment.

I like the E01 because it's compact, very durable (Type III hard anodizing - hard to find for ~$10), and has amazing battery life. The light output is pretty low, and more blue than white, but it's adequate for pretty much anything unless you need super-bright task lighting. Overall I think it's a great little light; I use it for absolutely everything.

I have been considering ordering one of these, though, because the finish, the brighter beam and the tail-clickie are appealing. And it's even cheaper!

Jan 25, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #4 of 22
My EDC light is a Ra Twisty. Three modes (red, low, high) with a twisty interface that switches based on how far the battery tube is twisted. I chose it as it's fairly indestructible, the low red is surprisingly useful for navigating in the dark, and it's pretty much impossible to accidentally turn on the light and kill the batteries. Main downside is that it's barely one hand operable. Beam is the best I've seen with a nice tightly defined hot spot with a good amount of spill. Pricing is beyond what you've specified though.

Closest thing I have that fits your criteria is the Zebralight H30-Q5. It's right at $50, 3 brightness levels, 80 degrees of flood and no hot spot, and very compact. It's marketed as a headlamp and comes with quite a few accessories including a lanyard, pocket clip attachment, and headband. Also has some very nice Type III hard anodizing. Main downside is that the switch is easy to activate, so using the lockout (short turn of base cap) is a must when pocketing. Also comes in a AA variant (H50-Q5) that sacrifices a bit of brightness (66 lm vs 80 lm) but keeps the same run time.

Jan 25, 2009 at 12:51 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My EDC light is a Ra Twisty. Three modes (red, low, high) with a twisty interface that switches based on how far the battery tube is twisted. I chose it as it's fairly indestructible, the low red is surprisingly useful for navigating in the dark, and it's pretty much impossible to accidentally turn on the light and kill the batteries. Main downside is that it's barely one hand operable. Beam is the best I've seen with a nice tightly defined hot spot with a good amount of spill. Pricing is beyond what you've specified though.

Nice choice on the Twisty. I used to own one (sold it to buy my new EDC, a Clicky) and thought it was a well designed, rugged light. You will find that the threads wear in and soften up with use. I found mine easy to use one-handed by the time I sold it.

To the OP, if you haven't visited it yet, check out CPF. You would never believe there is so much to flashlights before you spend time on that site. I've been a flashaholic for a few years now and here are some of my thoughts:

When it comes to EDC flashlights, this is my philosophy: size, output and runtime - pick any two. You cannot break the laws of physics and will have to compromise to suit your needs.

You will have to make a decision on what type of batteries you wish to use. If you are looking for good output, coupled with usable runtime, I wouldn't bother going for a light powered by anything smaller than AA or CR123 cells. If you can cope with a little less of either, a AAA light will suit you nicely and be easier to carry. I personally chose a light that ran on CR123s because I don't trust alkaline cells to operate reliably and without leaking in a high-powered light. I also prefer the slightly chunkier form factor of CR123 lights over AA lights because I find them easier to hold in my big hands.

Rechargeables are a good idea if the light is going to see a lot of use. The beauty of my Clicky is that I can use primary lithium CR123 cells or rechargeable RCR123 cells interchangeably. There are also rechargeable options for AA lights. Low-self-discharge NiMH cells like Sanyo Eneloops are a good choice.

You will also have to make a decision on how you will carry your light. I have attached an aftermarket clip to my Clicky, which allows it to be carried clipped to my pants pocket and at close reach if needed. Other carrying methods could have a light on a lanyard around one's neck, on a keyring, in a holster or simply loose in the pocket. The size of a light usually dictates how it is carried.

My EDC is a heavily used light, since I am up and off to work at 3:30am four mornings a week. I own or have owned a good selection of high-end production and custom lights but think that the Clicky is the pinnacle of current flashlight design. It feels indestructible, has a great interface, excellent output and runtime, great ergonomics and accepts both primary and rechargeable cells. If I feel the need to replace my Clicky (more likely because I lost it than because of failure), I would probably buy another one. I may be tempted to track down a Ti PD-S (which I have owned and sold twice in the past) as a replacement.

In your price range, I recommend that you look at Fenix lights. They are well-built and give good performance for the money.

Jan 25, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #6 of 22
Thanks guys. I love when people giving out lovely replies for other people. I will keep your advice in mind.

I never really thought about getting a flashlight for long long years.
Then, my wife wants one, because she is off to the work early in the morning, and the office is dark when she gets there. I told her I will get her a small flashlight that she can carry in her bag or pocket. We went to walmart and homedepot, but she liked none out there. Thus, I visited several website including CPF and mtbr, took considerable amount of time to read articles there.

Anyways, my wife choose to get romisen RC-A3 from DX. So, I placed the order for it about 2 weeks ago. They spent 5 days to find in-stock item, and 10 days for packaging, then took off for lunar newyears day vacation. I don't know why it should take so long for them to do that, but i know I am not gonna get mirror finished hand crafted titanium box for the packaging. LOL.

For me, I can take light that uses 18650, as long as its not longer than 5 inches and has low mode for general indoor use. Of cause, I will buy powerful thrower like jetbeam MC-E ACE, if I need it. But not for now.

I think my father in law would be pleased if I get him a flashlight for his work, that is simple inspection and repairing. Don't need to be blindly bright, but it should be small, and tough since he tend to drop things a lot. I am thinking about fenix or surefire AA model, even if I am thinking about getting el cheapo less than $50 light for myself.

Now, I got several lights to choose from including those you guys are telling. Please keep ideas comming. That would help me a lot, and I appreciate your help.

Jan 25, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #7 of 22
I use a shurefire 6p defender as my edc.

Jan 26, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #8 of 22
Ahhh... sure 6p. That's good one.

A friend of mine has it, and he loves it a lot. Things I don't like about it are its battery and its size. It's bit big for my wife to carry it arround in her purse. And I got dozen boxes of AA batteries in my drawer. But, don't get me wrong. It is a great EDC with proven sure quality.

Thanks chef8489 for remind me of that great light. I will add that to the list.

Jan 26, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #9 of 22
I have a Fenix EO1 on my key chain. I agree it isn't very bright and the beam is purple, but it is great for lighting a path at night or seeing behind a computer case.

Jan 26, 2009 at 1:32 PM Post #10 of 22
I don't carry a flashlight with me everyday. There is a tiny LED on my keychain, but its tiny.

BTW, EDC is misleading because you never say in your post EDC what? I've been on forums where EDC could be everyday carry flashlight, knife, multi-tool, pen, gun, slinky, or cheese.
beerchug.gif

Jan 26, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarman19853 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, EDC is misleading because you never say in your post EDC what? I've been on forums where EDC could be everyday carry flashlight, knife, multi-tool, pen, gun, slinky, or cheese.
beerchug.gif

Ok. This makes sense. I should've said EDC flashlight.
Besides that, my EDC is... what do i carry everyday? maybe, my car key, drivers license, some credit cards and grocery cards, some coins and greens, etc?

So, guitarman, please tell me about your keychian LED light, unless that's cheap plastic keychain itself made of 5mm white LED and a small button cell.

PS> Title edited

Jan 26, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #12 of 22
You know, I've always been sort of interested in these really powerful LED flashlights for a keychain or something, but never could justify the need for one...

So right now, my everyday carry flashlight is the LED flash on my phone (a Motorola q9c), which surprisingly is pretty damn bright.
biggrin.gif

Jan 26, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #13 of 22
I wish those head-fi members in CPF see this thread and tell me what they think is important to choose EDC, even better if they can tell me what EDC they use and why. Yes, I saw some of your review video in youtube too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway, please keep ideas comming. Thanks.

Jan 26, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #14 of 22
Was a 6P zytel copy, now its my cellphone leds, i need something smaller with a belt clip. and not cr123a, in my area those things cost a fortune, otherwise prolly gonna get 18650 rechargable from dealextreme

Jan 26, 2009 at 7:57 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaside /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, guitarman, please tell me about your keychian LED light, unless that's cheap plastic keychain itself made of 5mm white LED and a small button cell.

Yep, one of those. I've been looking at nice lights, and I do have the Rayovac 2-AA flashlight that puts out I think somewhere in the 80-90 lumens range. Great bright light for the price. Fenix options have caught my attention. I see a use for lights like these, but I don't see a use for having one on your person at all times. The Button 5mm led is enough light for what I do need a light for... finding keyholes in the dark mostly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back