What is your desktop setup like?
Mar 4, 2014 at 10:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

BenXiaoHai

New Head-Fier
I have been reading up on DACs and headphone amplifiers and pretty much have an idea on how they work. However, what I realised is that if I were to use an amplfier or DAC, I would be plugging it into the line out of the onboard/dedicated soundcard. This subsequently leaves (usually) a single 3.5mm/0.75" jack for the headphones. It wouldn't be a problem if I were to use headphones all the time. However I also use the speakers frequently, and was wondering how you go around the problem. Thanks!

Mar 4, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #3 of 12
I did see some amps like the Fiio e09k has a pre amp which can be used with speakers and the headphone jack which will mute the pre amp when used. Also the Xonar STX has a separate headphone jack from the 3.5mm line out which can be switched via the software.

I was just wondering for setups like the O2/ODAC combo, how would you use it with speakers. Cheers

Mar 4, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #7 of 12
Thanks again for the reply! Just a quick final question. I am currently running Xonar DGX which apparently has an amplifier. I've read not double amplifying as that is bad. So does that mean I cannot use an external amplifier for this card?

Mar 4, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #8 of 12
  Thanks again for the reply! Just a quick final question. I am currently running Xonar DGX which apparently has an amplifier. I've read not double amplifying as that is bad. So does that mean I cannot use an external amplifier for this card?

It's not meant for that, as you guessed. What headphones are you using?

Mar 4, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #9 of 12
I'm using Audio Technica AD700, mainly for gaming and music (Jazz importantly). Just trying to figure what to upgrade and what kind of setup I need, because I use speakers too.

I guess I cannot just get an amplifier then huh

Mar 4, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #10 of 12
If you want a big jump in sound quality, you should try a new higher-end pair of headphones first. Buying a fancy new amplifier in your situation will have little to no benefit in my opinion.

Mar 5, 2014 at 6:44 AM Post #11 of 12
I think I might be able to still use an amplifier for the soundcard. I was just having a think about how it works, so correct me if I am wrong:

The same line out is used for speakers or headphones for the Xonar DGX, and speakers normally connect to un-amped line outs. Therefore I should be able to get a pre amp line out? Moreover, there is a headphone mode from the Xonar audio centre, which I presume "switches on" the amplifier. Therefore, if I select speakers mode, I can use my own amplifier (which is how I presume works with other soundcards like the DX) with headphones.

With this in mind, I might look into getting better headphones and amplifiers, since DAC's diminishing returns seem to come pretty fast

Users who are viewing this thread

Back