What is your current favorite portable phone external dac/amp?
Oct 16, 2019 at 8:49 PM Post #3 of 32
Radsone ES100, frequently in my case paired with a separate amp. (But most people, driving most IEMs/efficient headphones, would not need an extra amp.) Benefits: wireless, EQ works well, app is extremely good (although takes a bit of getting used to), has balanced as well as single-ended output.

Downsides: flimsy clip, buttons are a little awkward, volume control is kind of weird.

Dec 6, 2019 at 12:59 AM Post #5 of 32
I currently have an iFi xDSD and really like it. Tidal HiFi and MQA both sound great on it. I’m getting a Topping MX4 to compare it with soon.

Additionally I have a Centrance DacPort and it still sounds really good. Not sure if it’s the AKM DAC or the class A output stage but it is super easy to listen to. The BlueDac might be worth a look.

Dec 17, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #8 of 32
I use currently the Topping NX4 with my iPhone and works great. I am looking though to get a second more portable one. A question: has anyone ever got the iBasso DC-02 to work with an iPhone? I see on amazon a lightning to usb-c female adapter and I wonder if it works with the iBasso.

Dec 17, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #9 of 32
+1 on the Chord Mojo.

Jan 31, 2020 at 2:45 AM Post #11 of 32
I have had the Chord Mojo for a couple of years with its Poly for storage and streaming and recently the dragonfly cobalt. I listen roughly four hours a day using the Campfire Andromeda IEM's. Both are outstanding DAC's the cobalt having power and convenience over the Mojo but the Mojo has more control and musicality, it is easier to listen to although the bass is a little less prominent. In terms of value and convenient the Cobalt wins hands down but for more serious listening the Mojo pulls out more detail and has control.

Jan 31, 2020 at 4:57 AM Post #12 of 32
I currently use Fiio Q5 (modded) + Am3 / Am5 module with LG G7 as source and switch between Andro and ER2XR . For me its quite enjoyable. Sometimes I even use NX4 just as an amp paired with Q5 as DAC.

Jan 31, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #13 of 32
I just got an LG G7. I have to say that its SQ on IEM's is very close to the external DAC's I have. However portability is so much better. Also the fact that its a full hardware MQA decoder is great for Tidal users.

Feb 3, 2020 at 12:34 AM Post #15 of 32
Stock OPA1642 replaced by OPA2156, This makes the Q5 Sound even more neutral and amazing. It has bit more air and both ends have little more body / air if I may call it that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back