What is your chain?
Jan 23, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #16 of 20
 My chain is: 

Audiolab 8200CD (balanced XLR)>>Belden 1800F Balanced Cable>>Audio-gd NFB-6 (balanced XLR)>>HiFiMan HE-500 (OCC balanced cable)

It's a pretty simple rig which is the first and only HP rig I've ever owned.  Until quite recently I'd always dismissed HP's but working the night shift and being up all night at home, I had to have some way of enjoyng my music without disturbing my wife.  Now I'm a big fan of high quality gear for HP's such as what I'm using and don't feel I'm missing much at all compared to my speaker rig.  In fact, for solo and small ensemble music, I prefer HP's for the intimacy and revealed detail they provide.

Jan 23, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #17 of 20
Quote:
Now I'm a big fan of high quality gear for HP's such as what I'm using and don't feel I'm missing much at all compared to my speaker rig.  In fact, for solo and small ensemble music, I prefer HP's for the intimacy and revealed detail they provide.

I have moved almost entirely from listening on speakers to listening with headphones. This is for my periods of attentive listening. This change from speakers to headphones happened for both practical reasons and because my musical choices changed.

I lived in London for many years and I bought a small flat ("apartment" in US) which had very little sound insulation. I really liked the other people in the building and I did not want to upset them with the sound of music coming from my flat. So I started using headphones. In fact I was using Sennheiser HD540 Ref Golds which I had in my possession. This put me into the mental habit of using headphones to "really listen" to music. Over that period in London my musical tastes changed. I think this is mostly due to age but may also have been influenced by my headphone use. I  gradually stopped listening to anything from the popular genres. I had always listened to classical as well as the popular genres, but over that time I started listening to classical entirely and indeed today I only listen to classical. I also started listening to chamber music much more than big orchestral works. The late romantic composers interest me much less and now I find I am seeking out works for chamber groups and small orchestras.

Today I live in a very small detached house, so there is no need for me to worry about disturbing neighbours, however I still use headphones because they are so revealing.

I think that if you like the way in which headphones present music, then there are very good technical reasons why they will be much more revealing than conventional speakers. Headphones use single drivers so there is no crossover. Conventional speakers, of course, have crossovers most usually and it is my belief that this is often very compromising to good quality reproduction. Headphones are, obviously, much easier to drive than speakers and so for low money you can give your headphones very good amplification, fully class A operation with no negative feedback is easily obtainable. Most of all, I think, listening to conventional speakers is hugely dependant on room acoustics and the average living room is very unsuitable for listening to music compared with a good concert hall.

I do think that for using headphones for attentive listening a crossfeed is really a very useful thing. I "discovered" crossfeed when I got my Meier Audio StageDAC (which comes with it). I hadn't really thought about this before, but I have now found that the crossfeed, for me, greatly improves the listening experience. The crossfeed creates a much more realistic stereo image. It tends to move sounds away from being really in your ears instead they are now placed within the stereo image.

Jan 23, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #18 of 20
Bedroom:

MacBook Pro > Audioquest Forest USB > Schiit Modi > Audioquest Copperhead > Schiit Mjulnir > Q cable > LCD-2 rev. 2

Modi is the weakest link, but I plan on upgrading to a Gungir when I get my tax return :)

Livingroom:

Cary CDP-1                                              Cary CAI-1 Integrated > Quad 11L2 / Tsu Research VTF-2 Mk IV
                               > Audioquest G-Snake >
Apple TV > Bifrost                                            Darkvoice 337se  >  Senn HD-650

Apple TV is the weakest link.  Hope to upgrade to a Sonus system someday. For now it is great for casual listening, but Cary is the preferred source

Jan 24, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #19 of 20
Quote:

I have moved almost entirely from listening on speakers to listening with headphones. This is for my periods of attentive listening. This change from speakers to headphones happened for both practical reasons and because my musical choices changed.

I lived in London for many years and I bought a small flat ("apartment" in US) which had very little sound insulation. I really liked the other people in the building and I did not want to upset them with the sound of music coming from my flat. So I started using headphones. In fact I was using Sennheiser HD540 Ref Golds which I had in my possession. This put me into the mental habit of using headphones to "really listen" to music. Over that period in London my musical tastes changed. I think this is mostly due to age but may also have been influenced by my headphone use. I  gradually stopped listening to anything from the popular genres. I had always listened to classical as well as the popular genres, but over that time I started listening to classical entirely and indeed today I only listen to classical. I also started listening to chamber music much more than big orchestral works. The late romantic composers interest me much less and now I find I am seeking out works for chamber groups and small orchestras.

Today I live in a very small detached house, so there is no need for me to worry about disturbing neighbours, however I still use headphones because they are so revealing.

I think that if you like the way in which headphones present music, then there are very good technical reasons why they will be much more revealing than conventional speakers. Headphones use single drivers so there is no crossover. Conventional speakers, of course, have crossovers most usually and it is my belief that this is often very compromising to good quality reproduction. Headphones are, obviously, much easier to drive than speakers and so for low money you can give your headphones very good amplification, fully class A operation with no negative feedback is easily obtainable. Most of all, I think, listening to conventional speakers is hugely dependant on room acoustics and the average living room is very unsuitable for listening to music compared with a good concert hall.

I do think that for using headphones for attentive listening a crossfeed is really a very useful thing. I "discovered" crossfeed when I got my Meier Audio StageDAC (which comes with it). I hadn't really thought about this before, but I have now found that the crossfeed, for me, greatly improves the listening experience. The crossfeed creates a much more realistic stereo image. It tends to move sounds away from being really in your ears instead they are now placed within the stereo image.

Very interesting Patrick.  I almost bought one of Meier's Corda Jazz amps before I discovered the Audio-gd and the cross-feed feature was quite intriguing.  I do have a lot of recordings that have too much channel separation for optimal headphone imaging and soundstaging and that's one reason why I still love my speakers so much.  But the chance to run my entire HP chain balanced with the NFB-6 and at a good price, won out over the Meier amp.  Oh well, if your on a budget, there's always compromises right?

Jan 24, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #20 of 20
Quote:
Very interesting Patrick.  I almost bought one of Meier's Corda Jazz amps before I discovered the Audio-gd and the cross-feed feature was quite intriguing.  I do have a lot of recordings that have too much channel separation for optimal headphone imaging and soundstaging and that's one reason why I still love my speakers so much.  But the chance to run my entire HP chain balanced with the NFB-6 and at a good price, won out over the Meier amp.  Oh well, if your on a budget, there's always compromises right?

If you ever use a computer as a source, then there are software crossfeeds available which you might like to check out.

I have never used a software crossfeed myself, but I think there is good reason to be optimistic about them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back