What is you most amazing sounding LP?
May 4, 2007 at 6:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

happyangryhappy

100+ Head-Fier
It seems that there is quite a revival of vinyl fans here and elswhere lately, so I thought I'd ask which LP's have you found that sound amazing? Without preference to nostalgia, value or even coolness, what LP's have you played that simply shocked you by their sound?

I am fairly new to vinyl myself, but I recently bought the John McLaughlin, Al Di Meola and Paco De Lucia - Friday Night in San Francisco LP and was blown away by the sound. I don't know if it simply fits my system well, but I was in awe and had goosebumps the three times in a row I listened to it... I can't say the CD ever did the same.

May 4, 2007 at 8:03 PM Post #2 of 13
Alison Moyet - Alf

So much better than the CD it isn't even funny, biggest LP>CD superiority I've ever heard, and its not even a special pressing, its a beat up charity shop one.

May 4, 2007 at 8:10 PM Post #3 of 13
The LPs that have shocked me the most have been New Order's 12" Singles. These songs were meant to be listened to on vinyl. The sound is just so HUGE! And my analog rig is totally budget.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 4, 2007 at 8:22 PM Post #4 of 13
The best sounding LP I've ever heard is the Franklin Mint pressing of Fiedler's Gaiete Parisienne. The recording is one of the first stereo recordings ever made, but the sound is unsurpassed. Franklin Mint put out a series of box sets, one of which was called "The 100 Greatest Recordings of All Time". They were pressed on audiophile grade vinyl and cost a fortune when they were released at the end of the LP era. Today, they sell for a few bucks a disk on ebay. I really don't know why people pay so much for fifties pressings when these sound just as good and cost a fraction of the price.

See ya
Steve

May 4, 2007 at 8:26 PM Post #5 of 13
Haha...I was going to start this thread
biggrin.gif
Bradon, you beat me to it
biggrin.gif

You know my choice already... it's HER!!!

This LP practically lives on my TT
biggrin.gif
I have owned all Sarah McLachlan's CDs but this LP sounds so good...so addictive. Plus...my wife loves it too
biggrin.gif

rth2000lgoc1.jpg

May 5, 2007 at 11:51 PM Post #7 of 13
Ah, nothing stops a Head-Fi thread like a mention of Bach.

My favorite Janos Starker performance is Bloch's Voice In The Wilderness, an excellent LP on Decca/London, but my favorite classical LP for sound quality of the ones I own is Britten's Gloriana (Symphonic Suite) on Angel/EMI, Bournemouth SO/Segal.

Mastering and pressing got amazingly good toward the end, with Direct Metal Mastering from Teldec and companies either giving up entirely or getting it right at last. Pressings from the '50s may have been thicker and more carefully made, but the ones I'd trust the most sound unheard would have been the ones done in the very last years of the LP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back