What is wrong with my ears???
Jul 13, 2005 at 10:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Pepsiaddict

New Head-Fier
Ok heres the story.

I,ve been reading this forum for over a year now. My first "decent" headphones Sennheiser HD497 which Im using right now. I think they sound great and dont really know how sound could improve from this point anymore.
So now I was thinking of getting a pair of better headphones.

So I took my favorite cd and the next destination was some local hifi shop. They have all kind of headphones. The ones I really wanted to test out were: Sennheiser 595, 600, same price range AGK and Grado SR80. The setup was: harman kardon cd-player with an amplifiear and x-fidelity can3 headphone amp.

But wait a minute. They all sounded almost the same as my so much cheaper Senn 497. Whats the deal?. I only noticed some really small difference in the sound.

I want to be HIFI but it seems I cant even notice difference between my headphones and high end
frown.gif
How much time does it take to really know the differences?.

Jul 13, 2005 at 10:21 AM Post #3 of 16
If it sounds good, it is good. If you're already happy with the sound you've got, stick with it and enjoy your music, which is the most (if not only) important thing when it comes to audio. Upgrading just because you feel you ought to is a waste of money.

Jul 13, 2005 at 3:00 PM Post #4 of 16
Hey Pepsiaddict,

When I went from my HD-497's to the HD-595's, the main differences I noticed were in..

- build quality
- comfort
- openness / soundstage
- sound

At first glance, there's a lot more to the 595s than 497s. They're just a much higher quality phone (as should be expected judging by the price tag -- can't say so much as you move up the Grado line (ie SR60 --> SR225)). Anyways, the pads are much nicer on the 595s, and I find that they are a much more pleasant phone to wear when compared to the 497.

Soundwise, there's a much wider soundstage with the 595s, and there seems to be a lot more airyness between instruments. I find that's what really made me fall in love with them. Also, vocals seem to be more in front of the music, while the treble is a bit recessed (or more 'behind' the music). The 497s on the other hand, after listening to the 595s, I find have a somewhat of a boomy bass. At the time (when I had not heard the 595s), I really liked the bass, now I must say it's enough to give me a headache. Lastly, because of the enhanced separation and instument placement mentioned above, I find that you can hear a lot more detail that was either lacking or covered up previously.

I'm sure there's other (slight) differences between the two, but those are the main ones that I've found. Keep in mind, much like yourself, the 497s were my first "decent" phone, and the 595's were my second. I still have both at home, but when I go to listen to music, I go straight for my 595's.

While I am very happy and much enjoy my 595s, it did take a bit of time to adjust to the new sound of the 595s over the 497s, but now I prefer it and have a hard time going back to the 497s.

Jul 13, 2005 at 3:05 PM Post #5 of 16
You really have to listen for a longer period of time to see the differences between headphones. That doesn't mean that the differences are small - just that you don't know yet what to listen for.

-Taurui

Jul 13, 2005 at 6:37 PM Post #6 of 16
i kinda find upgrading to be a odd. at first you don't notice much of a difference, but once you spend enough time with them, you think "wow these sound great!" and everything that you had before sucks. woe to the user that decides to get a pair of stax.

Jul 13, 2005 at 6:48 PM Post #7 of 16
It's also possible the CD you used might not have instrumentation or recording qualities that would show off areas where the other headphones might excel. I find when auditioning new gear, it helps to play a wide range of discs from classical to hardcore, or jazz and folk so I can get a better idea of how different music is handled by the components under scrutiny.

Jul 13, 2005 at 6:53 PM Post #8 of 16
i say stick with your senns and be happy.

personally, i can enjoy most any phone if i give my ears/head enough time to adjust.. then something "clicks" and i "want more bass" or i "want more clarity" or whatever. then the endless cycle of owning more/better headphones continues.

Jul 14, 2005 at 8:52 PM Post #9 of 16
If you're happy with the cans you have, stick with them. 90% of the people on here don't seem to be, you're fortunate. The 497s are supposed to be decent cans, I'm not that familiar with them.
I'll say just take your 497s and smile and walk away. They're much better than any "come with the cd player" headphone. You can still brag about them and show them off to your friends. They'll blow away anything they have.

Jul 14, 2005 at 11:55 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taurui
You really have to listen for a longer period of time to see the differences between headphones. That doesn't mean that the differences are small - just that you don't know yet what to listen for.

-Taurui

Actually, recently I'm having the opposite experience. On first listen there's major difference. After a longer period of time, the difference went away or I should say my brain is now adjusted to the new sound. Unless of course I go back to the quickA/B again. Weird how your brain play trick on you.

Jul 15, 2005 at 12:03 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeppelin2
Hey Pepsiaddict,

When I went from my HD-497's to the HD-595's, the main differences I noticed were in..

- build quality
- comfort
- openness / soundstage
- sound

And the main similarities were what? Brand?
tongue.gif

Jul 15, 2005 at 12:15 AM Post #12 of 16
Have you thought about cutting off your faulty ears? And maybe finding replacement ears to use???

biggrin.gif

Jul 15, 2005 at 1:48 AM Post #14 of 16
Hmm... The other day I went to Target to buy a bicycle. Me, having the I-have-to-have-the-very-best-atitude decided to skip all the cheap ones and go straight to the decked out with dual shocks, comfy seat, 27 speed, blah blah ones. Well I get home with my new $225 bike and have an amazing time with it convinced it's the greatest thing in the world.

Then I accidently went to the bike forums (www.bikeforums.net) and find out that the PX100 bikes cost minimum $400, and don't even think about getting an er4p bike unless you're ready to take a second mortgage on your house. Of course my bike is a Sony Streetstyle.

So what do I do? My good friend's father owns a bike shop, so I head over. I try out one of the $550 bikes, and yeah I guess it's a bit better. Going up to his $2500 bikes, I don't know if they're really better than the $550 ones. I'm sure if it costs so much more money it really is better in some way, but not really in any way I could tell. Of course posting this fact on the bike forums just results in "be happy that you're ok with a crappy $400 bike."

The analogy to headphones is obvious.

Jul 15, 2005 at 2:30 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by b-sides
i kinda find upgrading to be a odd. at first you don't notice much of a difference, but once you spend enough time with them, you think "wow these sound great!" and everything that you had before sucks. woe to the user that decides to get a pair of stax.

that's because your ears are more adapted to headphone, not the headphone that's is becomming better. Every one will used to their headphone once their r hook on the headphone for long time regardless the price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back