What is with car audio guys?!?
May 6, 2003 at 2:49 AM Post #46 of 64
Oh man, I would LOVE to see the specs on that sub. I bet it takes a good 100 watts just to get any usable sound out of it. And another 900 to get it sounding good.

May 6, 2003 at 2:40 PM Post #48 of 64
Wow, that sub is huge! Wonder how high you could launch that kid sitting on it?

May 6, 2003 at 5:14 PM Post #49 of 64
Quote:

Originally posted by chillysalsa
I understand they also help filter out the interference created by the alternator and ignition systems. I know guys that spend days trying different caps that will eliminate the sound of the engine from being picked up by their sound system.

Actually the main reason for caps is to protect the alternator. It's very hard on it, especially the cheap ones found in many of the ricers and cheap imports people put these "SPL" systems in. The sound of the engine in the speakers is normally a grounding problem.

At high volumes, my lights dim just a bit, but my alternator is heavy duty and I just about never (only did it a few times when I first got it) listen to it loud enough for that to happen. I value my ears too much.

Quote:

Holy crap is that sub real? Man I don't think 1k watts could drive that monster. More like 10k watts. I could see a few rear windows shattering.

It probably doesn't take 10,000 watts, but, it would take a lot to get it moving. As far as windows shattering, normally the front windshield is the first window to go, but the door frames normally break first. At 176 decibles I have seen door frames rip apart and windows shatter. It's really fun to see, but, that's about all it is. These guys just have fun with it.

There are a lot of ignorant people who are under the impression their car sounds good, but you know what? That's fine with me. As long as they are happy with it, it doesn't really matter. They are normally listening to music such as rap, pop or dance where good sound quality doesn't really matter anyways.

There are some good sounding automotive systems, but its very tough to achieve because of the listening room. Here is my system, its not just for music, I have GPS and the ability to play DVDs and watch TV:

· Kenwood Touchscreen Receiver - CD/DVD/Navigation/Sirius/TV/FM/AM (KVT-911DVD)
· Kenwood DVD Touchscreen Navigation Unit (KNA-DV2100)
· Kenwood Sirius Satellite Radio Tuner (KTC-SR901)
· Kenwood Surround DTS/Dolby Digital Decoder/Digital Processor (KDS-P901)
· Kicker 600.1 Amplifier
· Infinity Kappa Perfect 12" Subwoofer
· Infinity Speakers

It's fun to listen to and to watch movies in. My bass is not bloated, I have it setup very cleanly and overall it sounds pretty good for what it is. I couldn't be happier with it.

back.jpg

subangle.jpg

I don't want to load up the forum with a bunch of huge pictures (for those on 56k). If you want to see more pictures, go here:
http://www.darktide.com/noesis/ram/

Take it easy,
-Chad

May 6, 2003 at 6:48 PM Post #51 of 64
Orpheus, Quote:

a speaker capable of frequencies down to 10hz!

and just how long does that wave have to be for you to "hear" it?

chances are that your car is smaller than the wavelength.

there's a mobile DAC on eBay right now. yeah, that's the ticket.

May 6, 2003 at 7:41 PM Post #52 of 64
Actually, you would be amazed how bass is able to reinforce itself in closed areas. The problem is a lot of that sound is reflected and doesn't sound good, but the frequency can sound.

-Chad

May 6, 2003 at 8:42 PM Post #53 of 64
Quote:

oh no.... of course we can't hear it. but the point of all this madness is for the world to FEEL it! heh he. Bag End makes subs for the pro and consumer markets, and they advertise for some subs extension down to 8hz. it requires their special processor though. but they always say that such sound was meant to be felt, not heard.

....gosh, ...maybe someday i can AFFORD to buy an earthquake. heh he.

May 6, 2003 at 9:17 PM Post #54 of 64
Quote:

Originally posted by Noesis
Actually, you would be amazed how bass is able to reinforce itself in closed areas. The problem is a lot of that sound is reflected and doesn't sound good, but the frequency can sound.

-Chad

Chad,

The air from all that bass acts like a piston, and is therefore reduced quite a bit. This is why IASCA makes you rolls up your windows. You can get a lot of bass from a car, but you can get a whole lot more when you roll down a window and let the air travel around more freely. You also have problems with the sound waves cancelling themselves out in too small of an area. When I looked at some B&W 801's a number of years ago I asked teh salesman why they didn't use the bass cube on it. He said that the roon was too small to handle that much bass and it just cancelled itself out. You need a pretty big or open space for great bass.

Go to a car stereo contest and ask someone to turn up their system really loud, then roll up the windows and seal the car. The bass really goes away when you do this. Doesn't disappear, just reduces a lot.

May 6, 2003 at 9:27 PM Post #55 of 64
We are in agreement. My statement simply meant that the frequency can still sound, regardless of the small area. How well, is a different story.
smily_headphones1.gif

-Chad

May 6, 2003 at 9:31 PM Post #56 of 64
Quote:

Oh, and sound waves don't develop after leaving the cone, they are already developed when they leave the cone.

-Chad

May 6, 2003 at 9:40 PM Post #57 of 64
Quote:

Originally posted by Noesis
We are in agreement. My statement simply meant that the frequency can still sound, regardless of the small area. How well, is a different story.
smily_headphones1.gif

-Chad

Gotcha Chad. Just wanted to make sure that things were clear.
cool.gif

May 6, 2003 at 10:02 PM Post #58 of 64
There are 3 best subwoofers (you can't tell me they're not)

Music (high "Q")=Paradigm Servo 15
midway=Velodyne HGS-15/12
Low end (back breaker-HTM)=B&W ASW1500 (discontinued)

they are great subs...and expensive too (the cheapest is 1500 dollars)

P.S., the lowest Hz rating from a woofer is Bag-End's ELF sub, which gets down to 8Hz, it's nice, but to over-rated

oh yeah, the Kappa Perfect 12 is probably the best sub avaliable commonly, otherwise the sony XS-HS12 takes the cake, as it has extreme power handling, great extension, and a good sound (and is about 400 bucks)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back