What is up with "iPod 5G"?? What does it all mean?
Jul 25, 2010 at 1:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Veemo

New Head-Fier
Reading around here I have seen a lot of talk about the iPod 5G. I went on eBay and found some 5th generation iPod Classics at good prices, came back and saw people saying "iPod 5G", "5th Generation iPod Classic" "5G Classic" etc. as though they were different things.... now I'm confused. I am not an Apple man, I don't like the way Steve Jobs treats his customers like they're all 6 years old and just renting his products (oh shoot, I've done it now, let's please not make this into an Apple conversaion!) but hearing the great things people are saying about iPods I may want to go for one. I have a (possibly dying) iRiver H10 now, and I would like to upgrade to more GBs, and if I can ever figure out which iPod is supposed to sound better I might check one out.

Is there a difference when people say 5G and 5th Generation? Is there a difference between iPod and iPod classics? Are all these terms interchangeable just to confuse the hell out of me? I have never owned, nor been interested in iPods, and now I'm feeling a little out of the loop. If somebody could whip out a "total noob's guide to iPods" I would appreciate it!

Jul 25, 2010 at 2:46 PM Post #4 of 8
iPods up to generation 5.5 can be Rockboxed. iPod Classic is gen 6.

Jul 25, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #6 of 8
If you are still slightly confused I've found this Wikipedia article useful to get my head around it.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_iPod_models
Basically a lot of people on eBay have no idea what they are selling. The easiest way to identify a 5/5.5 generation is it has a plastic front and NOT metal like the 6th generation iPod Classic.
The term iPod 5.5g is often related to the re-released 5th generation which offered a 80gb version rather than 60gb and of course different prices. Many people on eBay do not realize some people term it to be 5.5g (the g stands for generation) so they also call it an iPod classic or iPod 5g. It just depends on how much they know.

Jul 26, 2010 at 3:03 AM Post #8 of 8
I think you'll find you can get cheaper than that ^ The Apricorn upgrade kit gets a lot of good praise. http://www.apricorn.com/product_detail.php?type=family&id=42

Users who are viewing this thread

Back