What is "treble? "muddy"?
Dec 5, 2011 at 2:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

GigaFi

500+ Head-Fier
I'm trying to "learn" and understand music but I have no music experience so a lot of terms doesn't make sense to me.

What exactly is "treble"? From what I understand, bass is the lows and the thumps and booms, mids are, mostly, the vocals, and trebles are "highs". I know cymbals would fall under that, but what else? I've see this graph:

http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm

but unfortunately I can't pick out most of the instruments. Can someone post a music video and then tell me which part contains predominantly highs so I get an idea?

Also, what is considered "muddy"? I have some IEMS that are considered very muddy (EX81) but I also have a pair of full sized headphones that are considered clear (HD558) but I'm having a hard time describing the difference between them even though there clearly is one. As with the above, examples?

From the glossary:

"
Muddy - Not clear. Weak harmonics, smeared time response, I.M. distortion."

So is it just "not clear" What is fundamentals/harmonics? (Probably should've payed attention in physics!)

TIA!

Dec 5, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #2 of 6
Many of those terms are relative, but a good way to look at it would be the notes on a piano. The notes on the treble clef line on sheet music are higher, and the bass clef ones are lower. Other than that, high strings and especially female vocals are part of the 'treble' range.

Upper midrange/lower treble can be heard throughout this song and in the chorus:

Here is what would be called upper treble as it pertains to female vocals, listen starting at 3:50:

As for muddyness, I think it's more understandable if you can get your hands on an open pair of bright (shiny clear treble) open-type headphones, and compare them to something that has a closed back (no vents or grille on the headphone) and lots of bass. One sounds like the bass is tight, and the other has more bass, but it's less clear and sounds a bit more muffled usually.

Fundamentals are the notes that a singer/instrument is making the most of. When you sing a note, the fundamental is most of what you hear, but there are other frequencies that are coming out at the same time along with the fundamental. These are the harmonics, and certain good harmonics and warmth and body, or fullness/texture to a note.

Dec 13, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #4 of 6
If you have a music player (software or hardware) with a decent EQ, that can help you understand what treble is and does. Try listening to a familiar song that has a good variety of instruments, then turn the treble frequencies all the way down and listen to the difference. Play around with turning up/down different frequencies and you'll be able to hear what they are contributing to the mix.

Dec 16, 2011 at 5:34 AM Post #6 of 6
I think its possibel that these terms can  vary between different people, for example I listen to a lot of motown/pop and my definition of "muddy" I am sure will be different to someone who listens to death metal!  With that said;

Muddy to me is when the instruments are locked in together and often have a groove, I guess in my mind & ears its when its a bit more bass heavy.  

Compared to "clean" sounding which to me is when I can differentiate between all the instruments and it sounds bright.

This my CLEAN example
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-mjl63e0ms

This is my MUDDY example
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCUD52feOmg

Not perfect examples, I guess ideally I need to find the same song, but 2 different versions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back